Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Track tested the Extreme Contact, AVS DB S2, and P-Zero Nero AS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:21 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon White
Track tested the Extreme Contact, AVS DB S2, and P-Zero Nero AS

Well, on the autocross track, I learned a lot about the "at the limit" behavior of thee three tires.

The tires were tested on 4 identical '03 BMW 330CIs (one with OE tires for a baseline). The weather was cool, sunny, and dry - about 60 degrees F.

All were responsive in the turns, but the Pirelli clearly showed it was the most track worthy. It held on the best in the skid pad and was the most predictable as it began to lose traction. It's responsiveness and stiffer sidewall also kept the car in the best control during hard lateral weight shifts.

The Yokahama AVS DB S2 had a good feel about it, but the traction level was at times less than the Pirelli - especially noticable in the skid pad. Though this was my favorite on the highway, it was my second favorite on the track.

The Conti did hold its own on the track, but ultimately the traction was a bit less than the previous two. The weight shift sometimes caused it to lose traction to the point where slight correction was needed. It never felt unsure of itself, just less track worthy.

Upon evaluation, I would still recommend the Conti because it is a well priced all-season performer. It will likely last longer than the other two, so for the moderately aggressive driver it would still be a great choice.

For the aggressive, less money concious all-season buyer, I'll recommend the Pirelli and the Yokahama. Nice tires.

Don't forget about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS and the Sumitomo HTR+ though. I hold the Michelin in the highest regards and I still feel it's the best Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. I would compare the Sumitomo directly with the Yokahama.

Last edited by Dexter@tirerack; 05-22-2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:03 PM

Good useful info! Thanks! I've been trying to figure out where the Sumitomos rank in terms of track worthiness compared to the Continentals. Any comments on how the two sidewalls compare? I know both tires have soft sidewalls, but I'm guessing the Sumitomos are a little less soft. Any input?
Old 08-05-2003, 06:03 AM

That's a toss up between the two. They're too close to tell the difference - but if I had to choose the stiffer sidewall it would be the Sumitomo by a small margin. The Conti rides a bit quieter though.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 AM

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I was looking at tire rack's own test reviews (not the consumer survey), and it seemed like the Sumitomo had a better noise rating (7.43 vs 7.06 for the Continental). In any case, it sounds like either of these two tires are great buys for the money.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:06 AM

No ETA or part number yet. It will be months away (if ever) as I have no indication that they will make it in this size.