Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

sti with bad alignment causing inside tires to go bald

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

sti with bad alignment causing inside tires to go bald

hey ive got a 04 wrx sti, i boughti t 6 months ago and 5400 miles later, i just noticed the thread coming out of my right insides of the tire. i dont understand why it would be bald on the inside when there is plenty of thread on the outside.

has anyone had this problem before?

would subaru fix my alignment and give me new tires if they are under warrenty? i have noted this to subaru 2500 miles ago when i asked them to reflash my ecu, but they said they have not gotten any recalls on the sti's ecu and told me they would call soa to check if there was a ecu recall. so anyways i dont want to go far because i can already see the threads.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

I was under the impression that tires are not covered under warranty. If they were, lots of people on this board would be changing them under warranty. At most they might just realign your car for you.

:banana:

Last edited by my2003wrx; 12-26-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:51 PM

that sounds kind of normal for subaru's. ive driven my re-92's to the ground before i changed, and the insides were much more worn out than the outsides.
i dont think tires are covered under warrenty.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Wrong Foum....

This is a tire forum question, not anything to do with the EJ25T.

Anyhoo, this sounds like an allignment problem. I have 7500+ hard miles on my STI so far with no tire issues (2 track days as well). I did however have a performance allignment done right after I purchased the car.

I have heard of STI's with allignments way off specs on the showroom floor.
Not common though. Negative camber is ok if you are driving hard enough. Toe out will definitely contribute to inside tire wear.

It will be hard to press the dealer/subaru to cover this, as people misallign their cars by hitting curbs and potholes all the time. Who know's. Wearing down to the cords in 5400 miles is crazy, but I don't know how you drive.

Good luck
Old 12-26-2003, 07:50 PM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
so youre telling me that there could be a good chance of my tires wearing out in no time straight off the showroom floor???

wtf??? grrrr
no radio,
tires suck for winter
rattles like a ****
and bad alignment

whats going on here???

ok so where can i go get a performance alignment??? can the subaru dealership(mine has a service dept in the back)do it for me or do i have to go to a specialty shop?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

i have told subaru this many miles ago that the car pulls a little to the left, but at that time my main concern was the pinging issue which they told me to do it all at once when they call me after they talk to soa about the sti's pinging

what are the chances of me getting new tires, or at least paying for half of the new tires? 20%?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:19 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Rather than ask us what the dealer will do, don't you think it's better to ask the dealer?

Get everything in writing. Keep all written documentation and take pictures of the tires. If the dealer doesn't take care of you to your satisfaction, contact the Subaru Of America rep that services your area (you neglected to even give a general location in your Profile).

Have you tried going to another dealer? Some are better than others when dealing with warranty issues.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-27-2003, 01:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I just got my wheel's realigned and rotated, after noticing a similar problem to what you describe. The insides of both my front tires were bald, while the outsides were fine. I got mine done at Big-O, but I know the store manager and I drive a Legacy, so performance isn't a big issue. Take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

I haven't driven around enough to see if the wear is better now, but the numbers look like the wear should be better. I'd let you know whats up with my tires in a little bit, but I think in the time it will take me to find out, you should have your problem taken care of (hopefully).
Old 12-27-2003, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Shoulda' bought a Bimmer

Originally posted by qbbraveheart
so youre telling me that there could be a good chance of my tires wearing out in no time straight off the showroom floor???

wtf??? grrrr
no radio,
tires suck for winter
rattles like a ****
and bad alignment

whats going on here???

ok so where can i go get a performance alignment??? can the subaru dealership(mine has a service dept in the back)do it for me or do i have to go to a specialty shop?
I have never owned a Subaru that had a quiet cabin. If you had done research b4 buying the car, many tests have reported a noisy cabin.

Yah, the tires suck for winter, but they kill in the dry. Not many cars come with true high performance tires. Would you expect winter tires to rail in the dry?

No radio=good thing. Subaru stereos suck anyways.

I would blame your dealership for the bad allignment. A good dealer should check the allignment of a high performance sports car at time of sale inspection.

You say you have 5400 miles now, how long have you had the car?

Once again,
Good luck with your Dealer
Old 12-27-2003, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Driving habits can do the same thing. Squalling understeer will eat up the inside of the tire before the outside edge, especially with stiff sidewalls. Trust me, I know. You should see my last set of S03s I had on with a lousy alignment.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 PM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
Re: Shoulda' bought a Bimmer

Originally posted by wrexr
I have never owned a Subaru that had a quiet cabin. If you had done research b4 buying the car, many tests have reported a noisy cabin.

Yah, the tires suck for winter, but they kill in the dry. Not many cars come with true high performance tires. Would you expect winter tires to rail in the dry?

No radio=good thing. Subaru stereos suck anyways.

I would blame your dealership for the bad allignment. A good dealer should check the allignment of a high performance sports car at time of sale inspection.

You say you have 5400 miles now, how long have you had the car?

Once again,
Good luck with your Dealer

i dont have the STi yet
still waiting to sell my current car(sale pending )
Old 12-27-2003, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

ive had the car for 6 months....also take it around the corners hard but i dont do it very often.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:01 AM

or i can just tell them:

"before i take delivery on this car...please give it an alignment since i have been reading that it pulls to the left and wears out the tires very fast from the factory, but im sure the alignment is on that checklist of yours before you hand it over to the buyer"

this should be free of charge right??
theres no way im paying for it if came like that from the factory
Old 12-28-2003, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

mines pulls to the left sometimes, but i thought it was the tires gettin sucked in from every bump. some times i tested it by letting go of the steering wheel on a street, but it would go straight.

Quick Reply: sti with bad alignment causing inside tires to go bald