Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

SSR Comps vs OZ SL vs Volk vs ROTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 05:09 AM
iClub Platinum Vendor

Car Info: 2001 Porsche 911
Re: SSR Comps vs OZ SL vs Volk vs ROTA

Originally posted by awd rally
SL's look pretty bad *** on a Scooby in anthracite but in terms of durability they are about the same.
I have not seen a bunch of broken Superleggeras but, I have seen a bunch of broken Rota's
Old 03-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Here is the order I would get them in:

1. Volks
2. OZ
3. SSR
657. Rota

- Alex
Old 03-13-2003, 01:51 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
wow, i am surprised, i always thought the subaru community in general supported Rota...

Rota makes a quality wheel, that cannot be disputed, just as good as OZ the only difference is that Rota does not make their own design, so what... saves me money...
Old 03-13-2003, 03:39 AM

i will get volk
Old 03-13-2003, 05:06 AM
iClub Platinum Vendor

Car Info: 2001 Porsche 911
Originally posted by Keisatsu
wow, i am surprised, i always thought the subaru community in general supported Rota...

Rota makes a quality wheel, that cannot be disputed, just as good as OZ the only difference is that Rota does not make their own design, so what... saves me money...

I have never seen a OZ, SSR, Rays, Prodrive or Speedline wheel break during an autocross so, your statement isn't exactly correct. You may as welll have said that the WRX is just as good as a 360 Modena Ferrari .... price does affect quality

The Tire Rack’s quality standard for wheels is very high and the manufacturers that we represent in this market understand that we constantly monitor products to ensure that quality products are sold to our customers. But what determines quality?

Manufacturing Process
Manufacturing processes and levels of testing are critical to a wheel's structural integrity. International quality standards such as ISO9001, QS9000, TUV of Germany or VIA of Japan, establish important production and quality standards that manufacturers must follow. In addition, dimensional tolerances based on strict, original equipment market standards versus the more “casual” standards allowed for many aftermarket products should be met. Even durability standards for finish are different between the original equipment market and the aftermarket.

Proper Fit
An accurate fitment is the difference between good, better and best. Critical wheel dimensions such as width, diameter, offset, center bore, brake clearance, as well as load factor and lug hardware are the basics when it comes to properly fitting aftermarket wheels. Installation also requires a high level of sophistication. Many new vehicles are available with features such as ABS, traction control and other features that create a more difficult environment for installing aftermarket wheels. Stability control systems, run-flat tires, large high performance brake systems and staggered wheel and tire sizes are also factors to be considered when establishing accurate fitments. Wheel manufacturers with product design, research and development teams work to determine proper fitment as part of the manufacturing process.

Protective Finish
The type and quality of protective finish on your wheel (as well as proper maintenance) will determine how your wheels look years from now. Check for finish warranties backed by manufacturers with outstanding reputations for quality.

Reputation and Heritage
The reputation of a manufacturer is a strong indicator of quality since it is quality upon which a distinguished reputation is built. It takes time to build a positive reputation and a commitment to maintain it is important. And know a wheel company's roots. Many wheel manufacturers first established themselves in the motorsports arena and apply that technological and philosophical foundation to their production of wheels for use on the street.

Country of Origin
Certain areas of the world bring to mind certain products and characteristics. For example, Germany is at the top in automotive technology and precision. Italy is the front-runner in design and exotic cars. Know where your wheels are manufactured.

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 03-13-2003 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:43 PM

Just to set the record straight.

We are QS 9000 and ISO 9001 certified. Our testing facilities are ertified by JWL/VIA.

We are OEM producers for Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Ford (which explains our QS 9000 certification).

Yes, the pictures above were from early attacks that passed JWL VIA standards for 5x100 PCD which was 505 kg. It seems that these standards are not enough for our Subaru that is why we have upgraded them to 690 kg on the second and succeding batches.

I am writing these because earlier posts implied that we are not a OEM supplier and that we do not have ISO and QS 9000 certification.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
my choice will be Rays Engineering Volk Racing wheels! Because you can't go wrong w/ FORGED wheels
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Originally posted by rota wheels wrx
Just to set the record straight.

We are QS 9000 and ISO 9001 certified. Our testing facilities are ertified by JWL/VIA.

We are OEM producers for Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Ford (which explains our QS 9000 certification).

Yes, the pictures above were from early attacks that passed JWL VIA standards for 5x100 PCD which was 505 kg. It seems that these standards are not enough for our Subaru that is why we have upgraded them to 690 kg on the second and succeding batches.

I am writing these because earlier posts implied that we are not a OEM supplier and that we do not have ISO and QS 9000 certification.
Rota owns!!!

Quick Reply: SSR Comps vs OZ SL vs Volk vs ROTA