Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Sorry, I meant Wanli tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX!!
Wanli

Hi I've seen these in person and they look pretty good. I saw them at a local tire franchise in the Northwest call Les Schwab. The salesmen/tire installer said they've been selling a lot and its pretty good. I asked about treadwear and ride and he mentioned that they probably would wear faster ride about as well as any tire in that size range 17"-18", but for the money he recommended it compared to his higher priced proxes t1(toyo). he quoted me about $93 each.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
They have a poor reputation overseas in Hong Kong and China (where they are manufactured). I wouldn't trust my car and (possibly) my life with WanLi's. Just because their tread looks like the Yokohama Advan AVS, it's not necesarily the same. I am almost 100% certain that the compound is not the same. If you should spend more money on any part of your car, it should be tires. They are the only part of your car that makes contact with the road after all!
It seems that tire sellers seems to make a healthy profit off of these things, since I too have had several sellers try to hawk them to me.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
i agree with choku, they just look like cheap rubber also. just my opinion tho. in all honesty they sort of look like rc tires.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

^^^
That feeling is probably due to their overall poor quality, but that's just my guess.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:15 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by dougyfresh18
Thanks. I had them re-balanced again and they seem to work ok. So what would be a good tire for a good price. The tire size that I am using is a 215/45/r17. Hit me back and let me know.
it depends, define good tire and define good price. usually those two don't really go together very often. what are you looking for in the tire and how much do you want to spend? there are a lot of different tires out there built for different purposes. gotta look at the type of driving you do and what you drive in (rain? snow? do you take them to the track? or at least drive aggresivly on mountain roads? or do you just drive to and from work on the freeway and don't really push the car?) answer those types of questions then determine which tire is best for the conditions you drive in.

my personal opinion is to not go cheap on tires. spend the money on good ones as they are the only thing that hold you to the road.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
$85 per tire.

nothing out of my recommendations fall into that category.

but if you really need somehting in that price range. sumitomo htr+ are $77 a tire right now on tire rack in 215/45/17

those are an all season tire that will get you to and from work and through some light snow.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

$85/tire for 215/45/17 isn't going to get you much, to be frank

If you want tires that are good values, consider the Falken Ziex ZE512, Falken Azenis ST115, Kumho MSX, Sumitomo HTR+, and Yokohama Advan AVS ES100. Each has their strengths and shortcomings, but all are considered to be pretty good values.

Quick Reply: Sorry, I meant Wanli tires