Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

recalibrating the speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:09 AM

recalibrating the speedometer?

Im thinking of getting some Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires for my WRX (with the stock 16" wheels). Aparently, these tires are only available in 245/50r16 size (for 16" wheels). The problem is that my speedometer will be off about 6% according to the wheel size calculators I've found online. Is there any way to recalibrate the speedometer and is it expensive? I know I can just drive slower, but I'm sure I'll forget the one time it really matters, and also as I drive A LOT (almost 60K miles on my 2002 WRX) the extra miles start to add up. I did a lot o research and these seem to be the best tires out there for my purposes (all season high performance tire with VERY low road noise and reasonalble tread life), they just don't make them in my size.

so...is it possible? heck, will they even stay on my stock wheels or will they pop off because they're so wide? Should I just go with the Continental Extreme Contacts that are available in 225/50r16 instead and just forget the whole thing?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon White
Stop, no, and don't. That size absolutely won't work on your stock wheels or the car. Priority one is size used. You will need to stick with the original 205s or 225/50 on the stock wheels. Within those sizes you need to choose a tire. The Pirelli is a great tire, but it won't be much fun when it doesn't fit on your wheel and would rub if it did.

Take a look at the ultra high performace all season tire surveys and choose from the ones available in the correct size. That's just the better way to do it.

Last edited by Dexter@tirerack; 08-18-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:52 PM

thanks a lot for that link....i was looking for something like that but couldn't find it. I guess I WILL go with those Continentals...they come with a 30 day test-drive anyway. I want a good preformer, but the O.E. bridgestones I got on there now have always been so damn noisy that its become a primary concern for me. I don't mind engine noise, or road noise, but the constant TIRE noise just sucks, especially when you spend 5-9 hours a day in the car.

Besides, the Continental is MUCH cheaper and should last longer.