Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

No more Falken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
No more Falken?

Ohtu tires, who makes Azenis under Falken brand, is going to merge with Sumitomo tires, which makes tires under Dunlop brand.
They haven't decided if Sumitomo is going to keep the Falken brand....
I hope they'll keep selling Azenis in US for a while because a lot of road race people rely on Azenis.

Does anybody have more news about it?
Old 12-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Not two weeks ago, I was talking with the Falken folks - I was wrenching on a car that was being kept in the Falken Paddock. They're all excited about their forthcoming race tire expansion, here in the US. They were there testing new rally tires that will soon be coming to the US.

Given their excitement, I doubt they'll kill their Azenis line any time soon.

Joel
Old 12-31-2002, 12:06 AM
VIP Member

They have announced the merge this month but they are gonna actually start merging this summer I read (in newspaper)
Sumitomo(Dunlop) is the company buying Ohtsu (Falken)

I care less about the brand name but Azenis needs to stay, to me it doesn't matter if it's call Falken Azenis or Dunlop Azenis.
I think Falken has better brand image for import crowd, though.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:02 AM
Dork

Hello,

The only info I had is what I posted. As for image, Falken has a TERRIBLE image in the US. I've tried Falken tires several times, and they all suck. As a rule. I've never had a decent Falken tire... Until the Azenis Sport. When I tell someone I use a Falken tire, they look at me like I'm retarded. When I explain "yeah, Falken tires suck, but these race compound Azenis are actually incredible," only after the concession are people even willing to entertain the idea that there might be a decent Falken.

Meanwhile, Dunlop has made many good tires for many years. They have a "normal" image with the inport crowd and a somewhat better image with the domestic crowd.

Sumitomo is pretty new to the tire crowd - by name that is - so I know most people have never tried their tires. I know when I first started seeing Sumitomo tires, I thought - "great, that's all we need, another crappy generic japanese tire brand."

Personally, I think the absolute best thing the new merged company can do is come out with a Dunlop Azenis Sport. And get rid of the "other" Azenis or change its name so people don't accidentally get the wrong one and wonder why their tire is a normal, crappy street tire instead of this incredible race tire that seems to last as long as hi-per street tires and gets less hydroplaning than Toyo FZ4 M+S tires!

Oh yeah, one more suggestion... more sizes. I could sell a dozen sets to friends of mine if the tires came in useful sizes for powerful cars. But what Mustang guy (or M3 guy) is going to loose 30 or 50 or 100 mm of tire to try a new tire? Probably not too many.

Joel, constantly being amazed by his Azenis.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:31 AM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Originally posted by Joel Gat
Meanwhile, Dunlop has made many good tires for many years. They have a "normal" image with the inport crowd and a somewhat better image with the domestic crowd.
A very good street tire at a reasonable cost used to be the SP8000's. When I started auto-xing and didn't want r-compound, these used to be the tire to have, or the Yoko AVS I's.

--kC
Old 01-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Dork

Hello,

Hey Jack, but how many Falken tires did you use before the Azenis? Falken has been around for YEARS. I or my friends have purchased several used cars that had Falken tires on them, and always, they were crap. All of the Falken line, aside from the Azenis, are crap. And Azenis are only two years old? Three, maybe?

So that's what I meant. Only "all show no go" types used Falkens and that continues to be the case for all of their tires aside from their race tires (the Azenis and now their rally tires).

I think if you ask most people about high performance Falkens, they'll either have no idea what brand you're talking about or they'll wonder if you hit your head too hard. I'm constantly explaining that the Azenis are totally different from the rest of the marque.

Joel
Old 01-03-2003, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

I didn't know other Falkens were crap, I only used Azenis and so far happy about it.
The image of Falken to me is this. Must have gotten fooled by their PR department.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Dork

Hello,

Originally posted by go go go
I didn't know other Falkens were crap, I only used Azenis and so far happy about it.
The image of Falken to me is this. Must have gotten fooled by their PR department.
Try them. If nothing else, they're economical.. and much easier to mount for the tire guys since they have so little sidewall stiffness.

Joel, the opinionated and quite pleased with the 'new' image Falken appears to be fostering with teir new tires.