Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

KUMHO ECSTA MX inflation pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
KUMHO ECSTA MX inflation pressure?

I've been running new 225 45 17 Kumho Ecsta MXs on 17X7.5 wheels for a little over a week now on my '03 WRX Sedan. Today, I increased the inflation pressure from about 34lbs cold to 36 on the rears and 38 on the fronts. I noticed an incredible improvement in the ride... more stiff, much quicker to roll and road noise has changed. I expected some improvement but was amazed by how sharp the improvement was... I must have gone over some sort of performance threshhold with the increased pressure.

I drive in the Sacramento area where temps will be hitting the 100 mark later this week. I use the car as a driver. My question: given the tires have a max inflation pressure of 51 PSI (which I don't intend to approach) what PSI range will give me the best performance and wear? At what pressure could I expect to start getting faster wear on the center tread?

Love these Kumhos, so far. (I remember the stock Goodyear Eagle GT+4s that came on my new '90 Eclipse turbo a long while ago and how two of them blew out during the first month when I was running six lbs below max pressure. Don't want to go there again...)

Anyone who keeps a close eye on tire pressure have experience with Kumho MXs on the WRX?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
I think you are right on the mark about 40 PSI and experimenting with pressure on the MXs. Following my afternoon commute, the tires had risen 3 PSI. The fronts did not feel as good at 41 as they did late last night at 38. They feel maybe a little high-centered going into turns.

Because my morning commute begins before 5:30, I do my tire adjustments at 10:00 p.m. This means I really don't get a real "cold" setting, but it's pretty close for purposes of summer driving. I'm going to bring pressures down three pounds tonight. The goal is to get the pressure as close to that "sweet spot" that must be around 37-39 PSI in the fronts and a little less in the back while I'm driving in the morning and the heat of the afternoon.

It may take me few days of trial and error to get this right.

Looks too, like my cold pressures will have to be a little higher in the winter than they are in the summer.