Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

How much should a factory 205-55-16 V-rated tire cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 05:58 PM

Car Info: Blaze yellow WRX 2002
How much should a factory 205-55-16 V-rated tire cost?

I am wonderign cause I think that I just got ripped off from a guy today. But I had no choice I needed the tire and it was late so I went with it.

Anybody know how much it should cost?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:11 AM

Car Info: 98 GT Wagon
Depends on the tire. Might range from Kumho at $80 to Michelin at $150. If you feel ripped off take a look at TireRack for comparison purposes.

Glenn O

edit: oops! Missed the word "factory"!!

Last edited by nuburu2; 12-03-2002 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:02 AM

I had a flat tire a couple of months ago. After calling about 5 different places a new one cost about 120-160. The thing that stunk was that not one had them in stock and they had to special order them. A couple of places told me they were even discontinued models so thats why they are difficult to find.

Luckily i found a used one for 40 bucks at small local used tire place.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I just gave four RE92's away for free with ~ 15K on them to a local member. There are folks selling stock rims with tires for $250-350...
Old 12-07-2002, 12:01 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Even at the Tire Rack a new, Subaru-specific V-rated RE92 is $130. A non-Subaru-specific H-rated is only $81. Which really makes it all the more unbelievable that Subaru gives us these crappy tires stock - not only do they suck, but they cost too much, too! For $130 each I could some much nicer tires (and I have ).

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 12-08-2002, 07:52 AM
RALYRCR

Car Info: 00GC8WRX/Conversion / 93 2.5Wgn(RIP) / 98 Forester
I love it when people start complaining about the RE-92's.

These tires are a very good "All season" Tire. Remember Subaru is selling these cars to folks who mainly want to have a car that they can take to the mountains or who live in a place that see's snow every year. These tires are suited for these kinds of people, not to folks like us who get the car for a more "performance oriented" reasoning. We are a minority maybe 1 of 10 or even 20 that get the car for performance reasons.

Also Subaru uses the RE-92 on almost all their Impreza's to include the STi's back in Japan (205-50-16) The reason we get the 205-55-16 is more side-wall diameter for rim protection due to the "pot-hole" infested roads here in the USA.

Now are RE-92's expensive.....heck yea. Are they a performance tire......heck no. Are they a good all season tire......very much so.

Now here's the question......do I want them on my 00 RS/WRX hybrid......NO I chucked them and put some Falkens on. Do I want them on my 93 Wagon, YES as I want to be able go have some fun in the dirt and snow and still have a little performance inbetween.

Unfortunately the RE-92's are not cheap to replace. That is the just the truth of the matter (Subaru probably gets the tires for REALLY Cheap from Bridgestone, so they don't see the cost as much as we do for replacing them).

If they are $130 for a tire, there must be a reason.

Just my $.02

Cheerio

EddyL.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:16 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally posted by EddyRS
I love it when people start complaining about the RE-92's.

These tires are a very good "All season" Tire. Remember Subaru is selling these cars to folks who mainly want to have a car that they can take to the mountains or who live in a place that see's snow every year. These tires are suited for these kinds of people, not to folks like us who get the car for a more "performance oriented" reasoning. We are a minority maybe 1 of 10 or even 20 that get the car for performance reasons.

Now are RE-92's expensive.....heck yea. Are they a performance tire......heck no. Are they a good all season tire......very much so.
Based on my experience and the experience of many others on this board I have to disagree. Not only is the RE92 not a performance tire, it's a poor all-season tire as well. Bridgestone itself makes better all-season tires - the RE950s. Dunlop SP Sport 5000s and BFG T/A KDWSs are also better. All three of those tires are cheaper through the Tire Rack. Of course, the RE950 wouldn't work on the WRX because it's not rated high enough (only H-rated), but it would be fine for the slower models (Legacys, RS, TS, OBS). The SP 5000 and KDWS are better in all conditions - wet, dry, snow - than the RE92s and are V-rated or higher, so they would work great on the WRX.

Originally posted by EddyRS
Unfortunately the RE-92's are not cheap to replace. That is the just the truth of the matter (Subaru probably gets the tires for REALLY Cheap from Bridgestone, so they don't see the cost as much as we do for replacing them).

If they are $130 for a tire, there must be a reason.
I'm sure Subaru gets a deal from Bridgestone on them, otherwise they wouldn't use them. Just like Ford continues to use Goodyear Eagle ZRs on the Mustang, even though that tire is horribly out of date now and its performance-per-dollar sucks.

And yes, there is a reason that they cost us $130 - it's a Subaru-specific tire. Bridgestone only makes enough to supply Subaru and some small additional volume to account for replacement purchases. The "regular" RE92s, which I'd be willing to bet are produced at a higher volume, cost about 40% less.

Obviously our *****ing about it isn't going to change the situation, but it's still fun to *****.

Pat