Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Help! Lost security lug key! What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:26 PM

Car Info: '01 GM6 Coupe Blue Ridge Pearl
Help! Lost security lug key! What do I do?

Well, I screwed up big time, and when I rotated my tires, I lost my security nut key. I think it must have still been one one of the nuts when I drove off, cause it's NOWHERE. GONE.

This was a set of 04 STi wheels, with what I guess are the optional Subaru locking lugs.

Steve at Auto Innovations said he could break them off, but it might damage the wheel. =( =( My car is now waiting at AI, wanting its new tires and suspension.

What options do I have here? The key is LOST, I have no hope of ever finding it. can the dealership help? I don't have the original packaging, so I don't know if they can match the pattern or not. Do I just tell Steve to break em?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Impreza RS
Originally Posted by Darwin
Well, I screwed up big time, and when I rotated my tires, I lost my security nut key. I think it must have still been one one of the nuts when I drove off, cause it's NOWHERE. GONE.

This was a set of 04 STi wheels, with what I guess are the optional Subaru locking lugs.

Steve at Auto Innovations said he could break them off, but it might damage the wheel. =( =( My car is now waiting at AI, wanting its new tires and suspension.

What options do I have here? The key is LOST, I have no hope of ever finding it. can the dealership help? I don't have the original packaging, so I don't know if they can match the pattern or not. Do I just tell Steve to break em?
If he knows what he is doing he won't damage the wheel. I work @ America's tire co and do this all the time, i have yet to damage a wheel. The dealer might not be any help due the fact that all locks are different and they could have up to a hundred different types. just break them off and get a new set.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I just went through the same thing. The dealer had a tool that fits over the security lug, sort of a reverse threaded tool--it didn't fit... They needed a larger one--so instead they took a regular socket and hammered it over the lug and were able to get it off.

I now keep the lug key information in a safe place in case it happens again..
Old 12-27-2005, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
a locking set of pliers should do the job

this happened to me a few months ago. I used a set of locking vise grip pliers and popped em right off in a jiffy,...
Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
get out the channel locks...I'd get that **** off in a jiffy...
Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 PM

Car Info: '01 GM6 Coupe Blue Ridge Pearl
The dealership was able to get me a new key, all good now!