Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Dedicated snow tires - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Dedicated snow tires - recommendations?

I'm looking to get a set of snow tires for my 02 WRX. I did a search of the forum and saw recommendations for the Dunlop Wintersport M3 and Bridgestone Blizzaks. Posts seemed to suggest these tires as having a balance between snow driving and dry performance. How about for a dedicated ski-trips-only, I-don't-care-about-dry-road-handling kind of tire? I'm going to get a set of inexpensive steel wheels for my snow tires to make tire swaps easy. So I can also go with a different size tire if needed (I've heard narrower is better for the snow?). I'd like to avoid studded tires, since my snow trips involve well over 100 miles of snow-free highway to get to the ski resorts.
Any recommendations would be great!
Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Petewho; 08-22-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Either the wintersport M3 and the Blizzaks are going to be the best for you, unless you are constantly driving through the snow. In fact, the M3 and Blizzaks don't have good dry warm weather performance, as my sister corded a set easily after the snow started melting and temperatures were rising (and my roommate saw the same thing with the M3's). I think when people say good snow/ice/dry conditions, they always mean at low temperatures, which make both of these tires perfect for ski trips. Just make sure to swap them off if you start driving in 70+ degree weather.

Narrower is only really better if you need to cut through lots of snow to get down to the pavement (ie narrow cuts through snow and ice better). Size really doesn't matter, as wider also gives you no benefits on snow/ice either. Whats the most important is the tread pattern and compound. So, I'd get close to stock sized tires if I were you, and recomend either the M3 or the Blizaks.

There are many different Blizzaks, and if you check out tireracks website, they will explain the differences pretty well. They are all good, just depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you want to sacrafice cold dry performance with snow/ice performance (and vice versa).
Old 08-22-2005, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
I had the Michelin PA2's last year and the year before and I loved those tires. They were great in the snow and they rode really nice and were really nice when the road was dry too. A little pricey but very nice tires.

For pure snow travel I would get the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50. They rate the best in Snow traction.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
I have a set of wintersport M2's, which is the precurser to the M3's. They are great tires. Solid in the dry and excellent in snow and ice. I hear the M3's are even better. As soon as I wear out the M2's I'm going to M3's. I'm in the same boat. I live near the coast and have to travel about a 150 miles before I hit snow.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Car Info: '06 OBP WRX STi
Going to buy a set of wheels for my 2006 STi to use to go to Lake Tahoe from San Francisco this winter. Debating on whether or not to get a really cheap-looking set since they'll get trashed going to the snow or a decent set since they'll be on the car for about 5 months. Are you guys swapping out the wheels/tires for the whole ski season or just when you go up to the snow?

How many miles do the M3s and Blizzaks get before they need to be replaced?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I have a set of Michelin Alpins, they are snow champs. Went to Tahoe 7 or 8 times and they performed great in rain, snow, ice. Only downside is that they are pretty loud on the freeway/street. I use these tires on the oem wheels as a winter only setup. I have another wheel/tire set for summer.

Oski-

I would definetly recommend getting a winter wheel/tire setup, it's a good investment in the long run. I wouldnt take the BBS's in the snow.

Last edited by subie OCD; 09-06-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 05 Saab 9-2X Aero
I'm in the same boat as Oski, and will be driving from the Bay Area to Tahoe probably 7-10 times this winter. Would an all-season be better for this, 100 miles or so on the freeway before hitting any snow? The Nokian WR are the only severe service rated all-season (snowflake instead of just M+S). My choices would be between this tire, something more performance oriented like the Falked ziex-512, or would a dedicated snow tire be better?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:34 PM

I think the benefit of having a dedicated 'snow' tire would be confidence in heavy storms.

My buddy used continentals (conti-extreme?) on his wrx year round and we both had no trouble getting through checkpoints in Tahoe. Although he did notice how mine was much more difficult to break traction in the snow
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Yeah, i guess I'm trying to find the balance between snow traction and treadwear in dry conditions. This wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have to start my Tahoe journeys from the Bay Area and cover all that freeway milage before seeing any possibility of snow. That's why the Nokian WR are starting to look more attractive. They are all-season, but seem to have decent snow performance.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Car Info: '06 OBP WRX STi
Which wheels are you guys getting? I'm not sure if the STi can go less than 17" because of the brakes, and tirerack says they don't sell a 17x8 steel wheel. Probably wouldn't look very good driving around for 5 months with steel wheels anyways, although cheap is good since they'll most likely get scratched up good driving in the snow.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM

I would look for some used BBS's or Rotas
Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 87 Honda Accord LX
Snow tires will last for ever if just driven on snow If you do a lot of highway driving then I would get the Blizzak LM-22 or Dunlop M3. For pure snow eating ability it is the Blizzak WS-50 or Nokian Hakka 2's
Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM

How about the Hankook W300? Seems like a budget minded performance winter tire. Any opinion on these? The price is right at $77/tire shipped. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...15&rd=16&ar=55
Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I know someone who really likes them. Especially for the price.