Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Centerline Wheels Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:50 PM

Centerline Wheels Anyone?

OK, I guess I am showing my age here so be gentle.

When I was first into performance, the coolest wheels to be had were Centerline Aluminum Racing Wheels. They were all forged and rated to 200 MPH+. They also looked terrific.

Question is, what has happened? No one talks about them any more. They still appear to be Forged Aluminum and the styles are very similar to the the current crop talked about here. Does anyone know anything about them?

One particularly attractive feature is that they seem to cost a lot less than the competition. Normally that would be a warning sign but I think that the current wheel market is grossly over inflated. Translated: Cool wheels are such a big deal to the young 99% disposable income crowd that manufacturers have jacked the prices waaaay up.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:05 PM

Offset?

So is the +42 offset a problem? I have read the TireRack description of offset but I don't know what it needs to be.

I don't want it to "just fit", I want to improve handling as well.

Would this wheel not do both?

Thanks

Last edited by enigma; 01-03-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:40 PM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
Centerline & offset

The off set for our cars should be from 43 to 50 mm , that being the distance from the back of the rim to the inside face of where the lugs go.These high offset numbers are to accomodate the placement of our axles and hubs in relation to our fenders. A smaller off set would take our rims out of the wheel wells causing rubbing , possible axle damage(not realy likely) and a possiblr need to "roll" the fenders.
Centerline was the muscle car wheel of choice and just recently got into the tuner market as you will and do see many muscle car oriented companies doing. You are correct in that their wheels are forged and thus the wheel's cost is astronomical (the Centerlines I saw were $300 to $400) and at that point many would choose a Japanese or Italian forged wheel manufacturer such as Rays or OZ which are more "in" with the tuner group.One can justify a set of Rays or OZ's at $450 a pop because they bring with them a sportscar pedigree along with all their attributes of weight and strength.I would guess Centerline rims still make me think of Camaros with the rear end up in the air and the driver running his fingers through his mullet! But now I am showing my age!

Last edited by cohlineman; 01-06-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:16 AM

One more thing.

I have seen plenty of CAST wheels for 300-400 but, as yet, not forged.

Which $300 wheel is forged? I looked at OZ but their cheaper ones were cast. Same thing for Speedline. Many of the wheel manufacturers use the phrase "like forged". The ones that do not want $700/each (BBS)

One giveaway is the weight. While I am abandoning the Centerline (they have a sharp wheel but I dont trust the offset) they are amazingly lightweight. The 17" wheels I like are just 13.5 lbs.

Of course the guys at Centerline say that the 18s shown above fit wthout rubbing.

Thanks,

Last edited by enigma; 01-07-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Re: One more thing.

Actually, the Racing Hart CP-035's, in an 17x7.5 are very very light, and strong forged aluminum rim. I had them on my car, and I loved them. I had to get them replaced because the Brembo's did not fit.

I miss them dearly. VERY STRONG.

I think that you can get them from Gruppe-S for around $450 each...they are very exotic.

Andy