Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Anyone have BF goodrich traction T/A H tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Anyone have BF goodrich traction T/A V tires?

It's winter time here in Missouri which means its time to put the OEM rims back on since my so3's are no good in the snow. I dont have much tread on the RE92's and after reading some test results at Tirerack I'm thinking of going with BF Goodrich traction T/A V tires. Do any of you guys have these tires and if so how do you like them on dry, wet and snow covered roads? I am looking for a tire that will give me good traction when I'm haveing fun drifting on snow covered back roads but I also want them to work well in wet and dry conditions since the roads here arent covered in snow all winter.

Thanks

Last edited by MO REX; 11-25-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:22 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
They make V rated Traction T/As. That is the lowest speed rating that you shoud put on your WRX. Also consider Bridgestone 950s (the V rated ones, of course).
Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Thanks, I'll have to edit my post.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM

If you have a WRX or RS, re-read my first post.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Esoterik

I know you are correct about V being the lowest speed rateing recommended for a WRX but if you dont plan on going over 130 mph in the car I would think a H rated tire would be ok. Is there another factor that I am not aware of like load that comes into play?

I'll have to admit I will be going for the V rated tire since there is a chance my car will end up going 130+ mph.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 PM

The performance rating of a tire is determined by the belt package w/in, so there is a difference. Besides, the Traction T/As are available in V, so why not? Same 60k mi warr as well.

(Truth be told one would be okay w/ an H rated tire on a WRX, but what's the point? To me, that's like buying the baddest off road truck available & putting dubs on it. WTF?)
Old 12-03-2004, 11:21 AM

Be that as it may - Why did you buy a WRX? for the great gas milage? b/c it has awd? Maybe you needed a safe car? I think that if that is your rational for buying a WRX - YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG CAR. Go and buy a Camry & be happy. You can put Hydroedges or Tripletreds on Camrys. The WRX is a sports/sporty car & should be treated as such. Respect you car & do right by it. Some things you can fudge on, but I just don't think tires are a good area to do that on...

(IMHO)
Old 12-03-2004, 09:39 PM

This is the point - If your primary reason for buying your WRX was, safety, milage, or just about anything else (excluding 227hp turbo four, rally heritage, etc) you may have bought the wrong car. I bought my WRX wagon, b/c I love hatchbacks, I wanted a stick shift, & of course, back then it was the fastest car (let alone wagon) available for $25k, that seats 4 in realitve comfort, has awd & a turbo. But I knew going into the deal that tires were $100 each to start. & that I would need to buy premium. But to me that doesn't matter - that's the cover charge to get into the club of cars that can mess w/ sports cars costing thousands more.

Yes you are taking a step down when you bought you H rated tires. If you don't beleive me, open your driver's side door. Will you kill yourself on H rated tires - no. But you have compromised the intent of you car. Following your logic you should also be pumping 86 to save a few bucks...

once again IMHO.

(Aside from buying the wrong performance rating, how are the tires? Noisy? Any complaints?)
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by phatfish
I browse many wrx forums however, I rarely ever post anywhere. Bottom line I saw this thread and have to chime in since I bought these exact tires (H rated) and have now had them for 1000 miles.

Step down? Utter horse crap! Certainly not a step down from the re92's V rated or not! These tires are leaps and bounds better in every aspect from the re92's from what I can see. Ride and noise about the same. Grip is far better on everything from dry to wet to snow.

I wanted a good set of all season tires since I moved to CO recently and go skiing on the weekends. I need to be able to handle all road conditions most of the year. I recommend the tries compared to the re92's (only other tire I've been on) without hesitation.

Furthermore, I don't drive faster than 90 mph (I at least haven't broken 100). I feel it’s completely irresponsible on a public road. Heading to a race tack? I wouldn't buy H rated. Want an excellent all around road tire? This one will do you right. That being said, this tire still feels much better winding down curvy mountain highways at 80mph than the stock tires. I also find myself going much faster though the canyons with this rubber.

...so why did't you buy the V rated Traction T/As? Ddi you ever wonder how much better the V rated ones are? Just a Q...

Trust me, I know what you two are saying - but you are ignoring the facts. At least you know what you have done to your car, so drive accordingly & drive safely.

Quick Reply: Anyone have BF goodrich traction T/A H tires?