Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Anyone ever seen a tire wear out like this??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
are tie rods OK?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
I have a feeling your alignment is "fine" for normal driving but not "fine" for driving at the edge of traction.

Basic explanation of how this wear could occur with a perfectly "fine" alignment: When you are taking a corner, suspension compresses and the tire "rolls" with the body. If you take a corner soft (like 98% of drivers on the road), then the tire will be loading its tread surface equally. If you take it hard, then it will put load further and further on the outside of the tire. With a tire with sidewalls as soft as the PS2's, you will roll over onto the sidewall and wear out the tread like you did on this set of tires.

Try Azenis RT-615, Hankook R-S2, Advan Neovas, etc. (tires with hard sidewalls) and/or get more negative camber. Negative camber sacrifices a little straight line stability and braking but it will allow you to use most of the tire's contact patch under hard cornering, not just the edges.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by slow04wrx on AIM
front left- camber, spec= - .3, -tolerance .8 + tolerance .08
caster = 3.4, -tol +tol 8
toe 0.00 toler .13
Those are his alignment specs. It's the negative camber that's killing him. He says the specs are the same L/R. -.3 degrees is definitely the reason his tires are wearing so quickly on the outside.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:43 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
these tires come on porsches etc,, i mean what am i suppose to use them for?? i bought these tires because they are max summ. perf. which i buy because i like to corner hard a lot. Seems kinda ****ty quality tires.
i know these tires come on expensive cars, theyre summer tires etc etc, hell..even ive owned a set of these tires and loved em. i had 4 auto-x sessions and a lot of backroad carving/hard driving on my set of ps2's(ask smurf how hard i was on my ps2's) and i never ever had any problems with the sidewall wearing out. the michelin ps2's are far from ****ty quality tires. you probably just need more negative camber because it honestly looks to me like that wear is caused by not having enough negative camber when you are turning. like smurf said, your alignment is fine for normal driving, but when you are actually pushing your car, its not enough.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 PM

ROFL -.3 degrees is NOTHING for negative camber. so i guess it was the alignment job then..not the tire . case closed
Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM

BTW i will buy the other 2 GOOD ps2 tires from you. PM me and we'll work something out
Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
From the sounds of it, you definitely should be running a more aggressive negative camber. Right now, since you are cornering as hard as it seems you are, you are running along the outer edges and sidewalls of the tires as you are cornering.

It probably happened to the front tires more so than the rears because as you are cornering hard, you are also shifting a lot of the weight forward and to the outside edges, thus causing the wear that you are seeing.

While, I personally am not much of a fan of the Michelin tires (not to say they are bad tires, on the contrary, very good tires, just too overpriced in my opinion for what you are getting), across the board they tend to have a very good lineup of tires that last.

Two other things you might want to check:

1) Was the car ever in an accident (probably not, but good to know as this could help contribute to unusual tire wear)?

2) Is the suspension underneath the car in proper working order (connecting rods, knuckles, arms, etc) - (i.e. make sure nothing is bent, broken, cracked, losing grease, etc)?

Tim
'03 WRX Sedan WRB
Old 04-03-2006, 04:43 PM

you guys have been a lot of help, what do you reccomend i have the camber set to??

thanks again.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:43 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Helps to keep the tire inflated.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 PM

sounds like u like to drive hard...go for 1.5 degrees of negative camber in the front..should be sufficient for what you do on the street. if u plan to auto x or road race though, you might want a little more negative camber