Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

02 Impreza max tire size

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 02:41 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
...:sigh:...What exactly is your Q? What is the widest tire you can stuff under a Impreza? For sedans, probably 255s, for wagons 235s. But that is highly dependant on offset, suspension, tires, & willingness to do slight modification. Or do you want to know if 225s will rub on your otherwise stock TS? (I have to assume that it is stock, otherwise refer to previous sentence.) They most likely will not rub.

Be more specific & you will get a more specific answer. BTW, welcome to i-club.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:58 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by rm6keith
You say that 235 wide tires will fit On my 2002 Stock Impreza TS wagon with slight modification. What sort of modification would this be.
Some members have been able to fit wider tires by having the fenders 'rolled', or accomplishing this themselves using something like a baseball bat to bend the inner fender lip away from the edge of the tire. Be forewarned that you should only try this at your own risk. Even having fenders professionally rolled at a shop can lead to paint cracking at that area. Paint for soft rubber areas can have a flex agent mixed in but this isn't done for the rest of the car.

Installing some sort of camber-adjusting parts can allow an experienced shop to dial in more negative camber, which helps handling to a degree and tilts the top of the tire inward with respect to the fender. An extreme amount of negative camber can lead to rapid tire wear on the street. Look at lowered old-school VW Beetles to see what I mean by an excessive amount of negative camber - it negates part of the benefit of using wider tires in the first place.

If your car isn't already lowered with aftermarket suspension pieces, consider that going to the widest tire that will fit a stock car may cause some headaches after the suspension mods.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush