Videos Share your video finds and personal videos. No pRon or NWS videos, please.

E3 PS3 presentation

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Car Info: WRX 03
WOW!! just saw the demo and i'm blown away, i saw the new xbox's demo on mtv a couple of days ago and it was alright, but this is pretty damn amazing. Well thats just me ...i guess
Old 05-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Car Info: Grocery getter 02 wrx wagon Sexy Silver
PS3 will once again be on top.

Sony has secured many of the best titles, so they will be launched on PS first or not on Xbox at all. (Grand theft auto, tony hawk, gran tourismo, final fantasy etc.)

Xbox just doesn't have the titles, Halo is great but its not enough to carry a system.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Car Info: POS
Tony hawk will be released on Xbox 360, on the MTV special they actually showed some clips of the new game. Tony said it's just one giant map with no loading modeled after San Fran, IIRC.

As far as Gran Turismo, Xbox has Forza which is supposed to be pretty damn good. For me i never cared about the GT series untill GT4, actually the only reason I enjoy GT4 is because of the new steering wheel. Final Fantasy means nothing to me as I don't like RPGs all that much. Both systems have their pluses and minuses get what you like, which appears to be the PS3.

Both systems look very pretty, but I want real in game action, not system rendered cut scenes. Look at Gran Turismo the after-race system rendered replay looks better than the actual gameplay and that makes sense. I have only seen one or two videos that have what I belive to bein game action shots and not just system rendered scenes. I have downloaded every PS3 video off of videogames.com

Last edited by silentbob343; 05-20-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by runnah
PS3 will once again be on top.

Sony has secured many of the best titles, so they will be launched on PS first or not on Xbox at all. (Grand theft auto, tony hawk, gran tourismo, final fantasy etc.)

Xbox just doesn't have the titles, Halo is great but its not enough to carry a system.

The problem is, thats probably not going to be true in most cases. With the cost of developing games (especially new systems) so high, third party games are going to be less and less system exclusive. Companies cannot afford to ignore the rest of the console and PC market. In house game studios for each company will provide exclusive titles, but third parties that make games like THUG and GTA are not going to be console exclusive, and if they are it will only be for a short while. Once their product sales on the Sony system decline over time they should if they are smart (and they are), have a contract that allows them to release the game on XBOX as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by silentbob343
Yeah price is said to be 500 for the PS3 and 300 for Xbox, but I'll to see official price reports before I hold that to Sony.

The Xbox 360 might be network friendlier as the first Xbox was very easy to network with. A friend of my used his as a media storage server more than playing games. I think Sony learned how much these systems are used as a complete multimedia hub and hopefully have taken that in to consideration with their networking plan.

Both share similar network specs. so it really comes down to the software to see how easy/pain-free networking will be. One thing I really like with the PS3 is the 3 different memory slots. I have a few compact flash cards for my digital camera and now I can use them to save games. If you have a PSP then you can use Sony’s memory stick, etc.

Sony included 1 gigabit Ethernet, but I’m not sure why as most people won’t have connections that fast. It might help for LAN play, but most people won’t have a 1 gigabit switch, so who knows.

One thing that Sony did that makes me a bit annoyed is the inclusion of Blu-Ray on the PS3.

I know many of you will say, “Why Blu-Ray can hold more data per disc and can do xxx”. Well truth be told Sony didn’t put this feature on their system because of games. Look at how many PS2 games need Dual-Layer DVDs, not very many. Most PS2 games are on single layer 4.7GB DVDs. EGM had an article about how long it takes a video-game production company to make DVD games. Companies that were making 15-20 games a year are now only making 7-9 games are year. So a company to make a game fill a Blu-Ray disc will produce about 2-4 games a year.

Perhaps it’s needed due to the PS3s ability to display 1080i-1080P. My question is this how many 1080i/720P Xbox games are dual-layer? I honestly don’t know as I don’t own an Xbox, so maybe the older DVD standard is too limiting. Like I said there are not a lot of dual-layer PS2 games, but it might not be the same for Xbox. If game companies really need the extra space than that’s great and I’m all for it esp. to get 720P & 1080i, but if it ends up like the PS2 with only a handful of games are on Blu-Ray and god forbid Blu-Ray isn’t adopted as the HD-DVD standard than we have a fairly useless playability feature that added cost. Hell, perhaps Blu-Ray capability only cost an extra 10 cents and I’m worried for nothing.

Sony included Blu-Ray to push its competing HD-DVD standard in to the market place and create a user base. If you are a film-production company and you are trying to determine what format to release your films on it’s common to go with a format with a fairly large installed user base. I have no problem with Sony’s strategy, but it does increase the price point of the PS3 and it’s not really needed for games. Of course Sony will say that the PS3 isn’t a game console, but rather a multimedia hub and as such needed Blu-Ray. Only time will tell if Blu-Ray will gain support or fail as there are many HD-DVD format options competing against it. And only time will tell if I, or anybody else, will use my PS3 just for games or if I will use its powerful multimedia capabilities.

I think it’s cool how the PS3 will output 1080P, but people forget that TVs that can display full 1080P cost around $20,000 and won’t become affordable for a while. Now if you have a TV or projector that can do 1080P, please invite me over so I can how good it looks

Oh well enough of my rant
The removable hard drive will allow game save to be portable (although I don't forsee everyone running around with a hard drive in their front pocket), and the USB ports should allow for game saves to be transferred to say a keychain USB card. If the networking capabilities are as good as I think they are then you should be able to save games and content like MP3 and picture files to whatever media you like via your home networked PC. Your right about peoples network and connections speeds as far as the PS3 is concerned, what good are those rates if they can't be used by most? The Blu Ray part is a gamble in my mind, but its one that may pay off big for them. Who knows, maybe because of the PS3 both the Blue Ray and the Cell processor may do well? For personal computing needs its hard to imagine the PC losing to the Cell. As far as resolutions are concerned, most people don't even have an HDTV let alone one that can display in 1080p. Maybe Sony thinks that either their system is going to have a very long life, or that the cost of 1080p displays is going to plummet in the next five years.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:39 PM

I'm watching it right now and man, these guys suck at speaking
Old 05-20-2005, 03:21 PM

very true about third part developers making games for every system. You are also correct in that if they are exclusive it will typically be for a specified amount of time, i.e. 6 months and can then be released on all consoles. I'm glad that the Resident Evil/Capcom w/ Nintendo contract is over and the next RE will be on a Sony console.

The laptop hard-drive is a great concept and will hopefully solve overheating problems many consoles suffer from. The CF memory card is free as I already have several, no more stupid PS or Xbox memory cards. I hope USB drive can be used as I also have some one of those and they too are cheap.

Saving games and other data directly over the network would be great and hopefully that will happen as well
Old 05-20-2005, 07:47 PM

Car Info: on going project 95 four door gc8
i miss my 3DO
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 PM

LOL

I was so close to buying a 3DO untill I read an article about the Playstation. Man I'm glad I bought the PS.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
360 is simply going to be a much better system than ps3...end of story, its not even a good comparison.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:47 PM

Wow, have you played release games on both systems? Thought not, what you have is an unfounded opinion that you cannot prove.

Sony is trying to make their system the multimedia hub in your living room and thus will have more features that will add cost.
I would say Xbox has gone for a straight video-game system.

Just looking at list specs the PS3 is more powerful, but specs are not the end-all-be-all for video gaming systems. Pick what ever system YOU like and has the games YOU enjoy playing, but you really can't make a broad generalization that X system is better than Y system before either system has shipped. What criteria are you looking at to say the Xbox 360 is "better"? Games, Graphics, On-line connectivity, features?

Fanboys....just love how they randomly proclaim a system a winner before it's even released or before they have any hands on experience with either system.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Well I will be buying both when they come out, so I am not too concerned. Only time will tell as far as most things go though. The Killzone PS3 video is the most amazing demo that I have seen, and Sony claims that it is in game play, we know the truth though. No matter what, both systems will be going head to head, and we will be the ones benefiting from that.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by silentbob343
Sony is trying to make their system the multimedia hub in your living room and thus will have more features that will add cost.
I would say Xbox has gone for a straight video-game system.
Actually, I read an interview with Bill Gates and he said that the next XBOX is a multimedia hub. I'm sure that the XBOX will have the software to make it the better of the two as far as thats concerned. Especially for those with home networks.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM

The Xbox will most likely be easier to network, but I wouldn't just discount sony they do know what they are doing.

The Xbox 360 will be as much a multimedia hub as the last Xbox only hopefully you won't have to use a mod chip to use those features on the 360.

Last edited by silentbob343; 05-23-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: E3 PS3 presentation