Rt 37 racing, Toms River NJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Originally posted by n2o wild
no public roads.. not considered street racing if no public traffic is present..
LOL... Keep telling yourself that. And tell it to the cops if they ever come to bust you.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:27 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRB WRX
Cool

I used to race down there in J.C. where you're talkin about. We used to call it Global. The cops used to be real cool down there. They even came dow one night and ran two of my buddies in a pursuit package caprice with the vette engine. They lost to my friend who drove a WS-6 at the time. They beat my other buddy in a 71' monte with a 350. He had the cop but had to let up due to a catering truck selling to workers down there. Just so you know , it is street racing. After a couple of big wrecks down there the J.C. cops did a big sting (probably 20 cop cars). They came down and blocked traffic. Since there's only one way in/out, they could ticket everyone and take their time. Luckily I avioded the ticket b/c my buddy in my car knew the cop, but a lotta guys weren't so fortunate. At the time I was driving a TT stealth..which is no longer with us...RIP...a tree came out of nowhere and hit it..LOL..
All I'm saying is watch ur a$$ down there..especially during the summer when it gets real crowded...

Have Fun
Old 02-21-2003, 10:15 AM

Car Info: MY04 WRB WRX
Post Entrapment....

Mike...

In response to your question, under NJ law entrapment is defined as where a police officer or person in cooperation w/ police if for the purpose of obtaining evidence he induces or encouarages commision of the offense and as a direct result, causes the other person to engage in such conduct by: 1)making knowingly false representations designed to induce the belief that the conduct is not prohibited (aka- u can buy this drug its not illegal to do so..whoops ur under arrest) 2) employing methods of persuasion or inducement which create a substantial risk that such a risk will be committed by persons other than those ready to commit it.

Entrapment s an affirmative defense...meaning as a defend. you must prove it by a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not) and if you do you will be aquitted...the jury (if applicable) or judge make that determination.

For the above case with reving at a llight you would be looking to 2)...for the defense. The problem is that if a prosecutor can show that you had a disposition towards commiting the offense regardless of the cops action they can rebutt, or disprove your entrapment defense. Also they would argue that the fact that you drive around a modded street car built for speed would show that you were ready to commit the offense regardless. Also they would argue that a reasonable person at a stop light does not begin a race when the person next to them revs their engine. A pros. would say that in and of itself, street-racing is not what a reasonable person does. Entrapment would probably be a tough sell to whoever is trying the case. But this is just my legal interpretation...I don't specialize in criminal law, only small municipal matters so I may be wrong...but I hope that I helped.

Quick Reply: Rt 37 racing, Toms River NJ