I'm looking to move to NY, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 12:43 PM

Car Info: '93 Subaru Impreza L
I'm looking to move to NY, need advise.

I hear that nobody owns cars or drives. I also heard parking is outragous. Also, how much are apartments out there? Are there any rally or rally-x events in NY?
Thanks
~Bris~
Old 08-27-2003, 02:33 PM

Car Info: wrx
No one owns cars or drives for a few reasons: 1. parking can be expensive in manhattan 2. mass transit is the best in the world 3. wear and tear of the vehicle. Also the cost of living is kind of high. Apartment rents varry depending on where you live. manhattan is very high, but brooklyn and queens are a bit more affordable. Not as convienent, but could lower the rent situation. Manhattan is about $1700 and up. That number is a rough estimate of the no-frills accomodation. sometimes you can find a deal, but they are hard to come by. Especially for a newcommer to the city. Usually you hear about good deals from friends and such. Parking lots varry in price as well. Mid town and the east side are very high ($250 to $300) but I commute from NJ and park on the west side for $180 per month. It beats the hell out of my car. Tire wear and tons of dings from the lot. If you have any other questions, drop me a PM. If you ask me, for someone who likes to drive, live in NJ and drive in to work. $30 per week in tolls, approx $200 to park and a heck of a drop in the rent check each month. Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
I now live in CO, but spent the first 23 years of my life growing up on Long Island. If your talking about moving into the city (one of the five burroughs) keeping a car can be very expensive and difficult, but Nassau and Suffolk County have plenty of space for parking if you don't mind commuting in from the Island As for Rally events I believe there are some in upstate NY, but unlike the west coast the east coast's states are much smaller so though there may not be much rallycross in NY, Vermont is very rally friendly as is New Hampshire where more people own Suby's there then anyplace else in the country. Good luck Gravel Girl

-Sal
Old 08-28-2003, 10:36 AM

If moving to NY, don't bother trying to find a place in Manhattan, especially if you want to keep a car. If you want to live near Manhattan, Queens is ok, Brooklyn is starting to get a bit over-priced. The Throggs Neck section of the Bronx is a nice middle class area where u are between the city and the island. Most of the autox stuff is either on the island, upstate or in NJ....
Old 08-28-2003, 10:47 AM

Car Info: black o2 sedan
when you say "moving to new york" i guess you mean manhatan, thats the only place you cant really have a car, any of the other boroughs you can have a car, and especially in nassau or suffolk if you dont mind a short commute every day. Its the suburbs right outside of the city. So many people seem to think that "ny" is manhattan and thats all.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:23 PM

my job is on wall street in ny, ny. is manhatten close to there?
where is a good clean neighbor hood near ny where i won't be mugged?

thanks for all the imput!

~Bris~
Old 09-01-2003, 05:31 AM

Most of MANHATTAN is safe. It just always cost a moviestars salary to live there. I have a friend living in Battery Park, $1100 for his share of the rent. No utilities included. If working in the downtown area, look into living in Brooklyn. Greenpoint is very cool right now....
Old 09-01-2003, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
do you have any friends in the tri state area? talk to em ...btw i live in the suburbs so i cant help u out on rent n stuff cuz i moved outta the city ....uhhh 9 years ago...when i was 5..but anyway a lot of people i know have apartments in nj(mabye you could find one here in the suburbs...ill try n find out how much that'll cost) and commute to work...so that may be an option you may want to look into...good luck gravel girl and keep us updated...start a thread when you get here and we'll tell you places to chill...oh and once u get here and get settles..find directions to the palisades mall...its the second biggest mall in the us...you have to go there...its great...sorry for the long ...non-english-teacher friendly post
Old 09-02-2003, 01:44 PM

Welcome to NYC. Don't let them scare you off. Just bring money.

Rent and parking are brutal. Figure rent for a studio at anywhere from 1200 - 1600, + a FEE depending on how you hit the market and what you are looking for. Check out craigslist for good no fee options. I actually think the upper east side (UES) has alot of bargains. My sister just got a $1100 studio. NY times article this weekend references a under $1K studio found on craigslist. In truth though you should move to the lower east side (LES) cause its far cooler.
-
Parking can run from 150 - 300 easy. If you live in Manhattan you won't need your car daily so you can get cheaper parking on the west side. This is a lot of dough, but having a car in NY is a great joy because you can pick up and leave the city anytime you like. Was worth it for me.

Beers cost like 6 bucks, food can cost anything.

Stay away from Hobeken or Williamsburg or even suburbs unless you are saving huge amounts monthly. If you are moving to the city you may as well live in the city. If the difference is a hundred bucks or so, go for manhattan. Try to find a place to crash for a little while with a friend and scope out the place. Don't just rent something right away. It probabally will cost you hundreds and you may not like it.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone! Very helpful info for a girl that's never been out of So Cal. I don't know ANYONE in or near the east coast... I'm actually thinking of moving there to get away from everyone I know now. (It's just that time.)
Is VT, PA, & ME reasonable driving distance from NYC???

~Bris~
Old 09-02-2003, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
im pretty sure they are far away..ive never heard of anyone commuting from there to the city...so either ny, nj, or ct...on a side note...if a guy started this thread chances are there wouldnt be soo many replies

Last edited by awns729; 09-02-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:28 AM

Doesn't make a difference to me who started this post. If someone asks for help, I will try and oblige. I lived on the upper east side on and off for 10 years of my 33 years on this planet. I live in Suffolk and commute to the upper east side 5 days a week. To actual live in Manhattan is a total waste of money. For what someone pays for 1 bedroom apartment downtown is almost my mortgage payment. Why would you want to pay someone else's bills?? That's what rent is... Sorry a little off track... There are many other fun, inexpensive, safe places to live outside of Manhattan that will allow you to own a car and not pay thousands a year just to park it. Nobody is trying to scare anyone, this is the reality of living in Manhattan. It cost a bunch of money to live in Manhattan, money that can be used for other things. This is just my opinion, maybe some are comfortable giving their money away for nothing, I'm not....

Quick Reply: I'm looking to move to NY, need advise.