Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

This is why i don't play airsoft

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Angry This is why i don't play airsoft

I have to admit that I was interested in Airsoft for awhile...

Name:  rangers_relax_3.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  48.8 KB

...but i'm afraid of getting too caught up in the hobby and running into these losers.

Last edited by Salty; 08-25-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Hhahah, god, i'd love to get a crack team of really good airsoft players and dress up like the entire huxtable family and take them out. There's gotta be nothing quite like being sniped by theo huxtable. Or maybe dress up like pilgrims or somthing rediculous.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
lmao!! that is epic. how about power rangers?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:38 AM

Yeah, power rangers or renfair geeks. Or even dirty *** hippies. You know, there are always a few people who show up at renfairs dressed in spacesuits, i'd love to do the same with these guys.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

What pisses me off is the sense of "false pride" you can clearly see on their faces.

They spend thousands of dollars on airsoft equipment and they can even afford to come up with their own uniform SOP?! All they'd need is someone talented enough to use a sewing machine and thread for different ribbons.

They need a committee for these airsoft nuts to develop awards, decorations and wear of uniform rules so they can be proud of themselves instead of breaking the law and stealing valor.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:51 AM

What pisses me off is the sense of "false pride" you can clearly see on their faces.

They spend thousands of dollars on airsoft equipment and they can even afford to come up with their own uniform SOP?! All they'd need is someone talented enough to use a sewing machine and thread for different ribbons.

They need a committee for these airsoft nuts to develop awards, decorations and wear of uniform rules so they can be proud of themselves instead of breaking the law and stealing valor.
Aw c'mon man, lighten up - thats the equivalent of british royalty being upset at SCA kids for dressing up like knights. They arent stealing an valor from anyone, and they are already far into the realm of self-parody. The probably got those uniforms from thrift stores and army surplus stores, and if i get a doctors outfit and me and my freinds buy some mannequins and go out into the woods and play "ER", I wouldnt be making a mockery of the doctors worldwide. If anything, its an embarrassingly sincere form of flattery, and if you take yourself so seriously that you get upset when a group of dorks pretend to be soldiers, then you need to chill, have a beer and some jalepeno poppers and enjoy the show.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
i vote for emarassing form of flattery... those guys are ***** tho and i wouldnt mind kicking their asses nice and good just on principles alone....

i hate posers...

ps eric lets go play airsoft some time ***oid... its good and fun..

haha
Old 08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by constellation
Aw c'mon man, lighten up - thats the equivalent of british royalty being upset at SCA kids for dressing up like knights.They arent stealing an valor from anyone, and they are already far into the realm of self-parody
First of all the guy on the left looks like he's going on 40.

Luckily this group is from the United Kingdom because this **** doesn't fly in the United States. I see four awards for valor which include: The Distinguished Service Cross, Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal and Purple Heart.

Wearing awards for merit and valor is stolen valor and grounds for hefty fines and 1+ years in federal "**** you in the ***" prison.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
i vote for emarassing form of flattery... those guys are ***** tho and i wouldnt mind kicking their asses nice and good just on principles alone....

i hate posers...

ps eric lets go play airsoft some time ***oid... its good and fun..

haha
Hey what about me? I'll bring the 5.56.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:34 PM

Who is the victim here? Is anyone actually effected by the fact that some dorks play dress up and shoot each other with glorified bbguns? Yes, its a crime here to wear medals that arent yours, but unless you are walking around town acting important with that narcissistic strut that all men in uniform unwittingly adopt, you arent going to get nabbed, and even then its rare - because nobody but ex-military stiffs with a gutshot sense of pride GIVE A GODDAMN. NOBODY CARES. Let the dorks live their fantasy life, its no different than playing CS, except for its a bit more expensive and you get a work out and a few welts if you suck.
Quit pretending that because some nerd bought a uniform at the salvation army, some vet gets thrown out of a resturant because the respect for them has been tarnished that much.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:30 PM

Who is the victim here? Is anyone actually effected by the fact that some dorks play dress up and shoot each other with glorified bbguns? Yes, its a crime here to wear medals that arent yours, but unless you are walking around town acting important with that narcissistic strut that all men in uniform unwittingly adopt, you arent going to get nabbed, and even then its rare - because nobody but ex-military stiffs with a gutshot sense of pride GIVE A GODDAMN. NOBODY CARES. Let the dorks live their fantasy life, its no different than playing CS, except for its a bit more expensive and you get a work out and a few welts if you suck.
Quit pretending that because some nerd bought a uniform at the salvation army, some vet gets thrown out of a resturant because the respect for them has been tarnished that much.

Maybe it's not offensive to you because you don't think much of the awards in the first place. It's not an issue of who's thrown out of restaraunts or whether some vet personally sees the medals; it's an issue of what the proper respect for decorations and military honors should be. The "dorks" can have all the fantasy life they want in their heads...but they shouldn't be allowed to make a joke of real accomplishments by real soldiers by wearing the medals in public. War and military honor is serious business, and it should be treated as such by the rest of us as long as we expect those kinds of sacrifices to be made.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subaruguru
Maybe it's not offensive to you because you don't think much of the awards in the first place. It's not an issue of who's thrown out of restaraunts or whether some vet personally sees the medals; it's an issue of what the proper respect for decorations and military honors should be. The "dorks" can have all the fantasy life they want in their heads...but they shouldn't be allowed to make a joke of real accomplishments by real soldiers by wearing the medals in public. War and military honor is serious business, and it should be treated as such by the rest of us as long as we expect those kinds of sacrifices to be made.
Well said, Dave!

Who is the victim here?
Maybe the real veterans of current and past wars that spilled their blood, died and earned those decorations?! Name:  bigeek.gif
Views: 323
Size:  1.6 KB
Old 08-25-2004, 02:54 PM

Maybe the real veterans of current and past wars that spilled their blood, died and earned those decorations?!
No, unless you want to get overly symbolic with it, the veterans of past and present wars are NOT victims because people pretend to be soldiers, wearing medals that were donated to thrift stores and army surpluses for use in bbgun wars - that rediculous. It has absolutley no effect on anyone, and while i agree with you that it shouldn't be done out of respect, it really isnt that big of a deal. Technically then, civil war reenactors shouldn't be allowed to do what they do. Now, i could be argued that the civil war stuff is "out of respect", but I assure you that lots of those guys just want to have fun and play pretend in uniform. It also gives people just a fleeting glimpse of what it feels like to be a part of somthing larger than themselves, even if it is fake. Why do you think online gaming communites are so large? I say let the dorks do what they like as long as they dont try and actually pretend to be important around people who arent in on the gag.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:18 PM
VIP Member

Technically then, civil war reenactors shouldn't be allowed to do what they do. Now, i could be argued that the civil war stuff is "out of respect", but I assure you that lots of those guys just want to have fun and play pretend in uniform.
You're missing the point...

You can dress in modern era BDUs, medieval plate armor an the blue and grey wool of a civil war solider all day long and it's not a major problem. Especially if there's a reenactment and you're not wearing the a Victoria Cross around your neck while running across an open field.

It is a problem when posers stand in uniform while wearing awards of valor. It's not like these guys are playing airsoft in class "A's" (what they're wearing in the photo). They're taking a photo with awards of valor & merit with a very proud look on their face (at "parade rest") as if they're the real deal... it's a mockery of those real men and women that earned those awards.

Last edited by Salty; 08-25-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:32 PM

it's a mockery of those real men and women that earned those awards.
But not an intentional one, I'm sure these guys didn't gather around and say "hey, lets make a mockery of blah blah blah, it will be so funny". They aren't trying to disrespect those people, and like i said its almost backhanded flattery. I'm not missing the point because there is none - it effects absolutley nothing but your pride. So if your argument is that they shouldn't be allowed to do that, then i say to hell wth ya - but if you are just saying that they are idiots, then yeah, you're right - they are. However, i defend their right to be idiots, as long as the absolute extent of damage they could do is just hurt some peoples feelings. Symbolism is only important to the people who understand the symbols - so with that I'll hand the riegns back over to you, its your war - you just can't expect civies like me to understand.

Quick Reply: This is why i don't play airsoft