Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Why do liberals hate Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Man I LOVE Christmas with my family and we're not even religious just my grandparents that are Catholic but don’t practice). I am certainly not religious and have a great time exchanging gifts and sipping on iced baileys. I do it for family and the chance to give/receive, not Christ's birthday.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ericdared81
Screw christmas, everyone celebrate festivus!

j/k I love christmas.
LOL

:findsaluminumpole:
Old 12-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
"George, festivus is not over until you pin me."_Dad

"C'mon Georgy, pin your father"-Mom
Old 12-17-2004, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
haha... lmao. I love that scene

btw, I love Christmas too :banana:
Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 AM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
First off it depends on which Christmas you are talking about. Are you talking about Coca-Cola Santa and gift giving for the purpose giving gifts Christmas, or are you talking about the birth of Christ nativity scene Christmas. Liberals certainly don't hate the former, however the religious connotations of the latter do rub people the wrong way considering not everyone believes in it. But that's true of any religious holiday. What I find rather odd about Christmas is that all empirically verifiable and anecdotal evidence points to Jesus being born in June or July (based on locations of stars etc.) so why the hell is it celebrated in Dec?

-Chris

Try not to look at it scientifically. Its like Saturday being the sabbath but nearly every Christian but the Seventh Day Adventists go to church on Sunday. Do you think that God cares what day its on or do you think he cares more about a day being set aside for worship? As for the comercialization of Christmas, that is why adults are disolusioned about the holiday. Children have no such problems, its up to the parent to instil the true meaning of Christmas in the children, not Toys R Us. When it comes to liberals not liking Christmas, I think its a general dislike for traditional conservative values that they feel are dated. I often say that liberals will tolerate you so long as you are not white wealthy and Christian.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
I do it for family and the chance to give/receive, not Christ's birthday.
Matthew 25:34
Old 12-20-2004, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by deyes
And?

Please don't quote scripture as a rebuttal to my thoughts. You're talking to a person that feeds his 13yr old brother with a straw after the countless days of praying during his youth, and a person who's held the hand of his best friend as the almond scented spinal fluid oozed from his bloated spine in the middle of the DZ.

I can open my newspaper, turn on CNN and spend 5 minutes downtown and wonder how a “supreme being” can let **** get this bad. I am certainly not impressed, sir.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Whoa, you took it all wrong. I wasn't knocking you man.
I'm not too religious thats just a scripture that I liked as a child.

What the scripture says basically is that when you are doing nice things for people that you are doing them for Christ, so wether you celebrate it as christs birthday or not by giving gifts your celebrating christ so in effect its all the same no?

Last edited by deyes; 12-20-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Whoa, you took it all wrong. I wasn't knocking you man.
I'm not too religious thats just a scripture that I liked as a child.

What the scripture says basically is that when you are doing nice things for people that you are doing them for Christ, so wether you celebrate it as christs birthday or not by giving gifts your celebrating christ so in effect its all the same no?
It may have helped if I googled Matthew 25:34 first.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:31 PM

Yeah, no harm. I thought everyone knew that scripture Christian or not. Thats what I get for ***-u-me ing.

-deyes
Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by Matthew 25:34 (NIV)

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
Actually it is stating that those who follow God will inherit the kingdom of God. aka those who follow God will go to heaven.

how you get doing nice things for people is as though you are doing them for Christ, i don't know.

i am just guessing that you mistyped the verse

looks like you meant to type Matthew 25:40

Originally Posted by Matthew 25:40 (NIV)
“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
and the verses preceeding that where he talks abouit taking care of the poor and giving to the needy, etc.

the only thing though about that verse/verses is that it is describing those that have chosen to follow Jesus Christ.

just because you do good things towards others doesn't mean that you are celebrating Christ. If you don't believe that Christ is what he says he is then nothing you do is as if for Christ since you are denying him from the start.

i am not trying to preach or anything so please nobody take this the wrong way. just wanted to clarify and the verse that was mentioned. its too common to just take a verse and read it and then have it mean whatever you want it to.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ish

looks like you meant to type Matthew 25:40

and the verses preceeding that where he talks abouit taking care of the poor and giving to the needy, etc.

the only thing though about that verse/verses is that it is describing those that have chosen to follow Jesus Christ.

just because you do good things towards others doesn't mean that you are celebrating Christ. If you don't believe that Christ is what he says he is then nothing you do is as if for Christ since you are denying him from the start.

i am not trying to preach or anything so please nobody take this the wrong way. just wanted to clarify and the verse that was mentioned. its too common to just take a verse and read it and then have it mean whatever you want it to.
Thats the one, my bad. I figured it was relevant since he didn't really deny Christ, or say he didn't follow Christ. He just said he wasn't "religious" and "I do it for family and the chance to give/receive, not Christ's birthday." but I figure that if you are doing nice things for people on Christmas becuase it is Christmas then you are celebrating Christ. So that scripture was applicable. But if your just arguing for the sake of arguing then cool ish.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:06 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Thats the one, my bad. I figured it was relevant since he didn't really deny Christ, or say he didn't follow Christ. He just said he wasn't "religious" and "I do it for family and the chance to give/receive, not Christ's birthday." but I figure that if you are doing nice things for people on Christmas becuase it is Christmas then you are celebrating Christ. So that scripture was applicable. But if your just arguing for the sake of arguing then cool ish.
i am not just trying to start arguments for the sake of it. i am just trying to make sure the wrong message doesn't get passed on. that passage is in no way applicable towards how salty celebrates christmas.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM

Sure it is, he's giving to people on Christ's Birthday because its Christs birthday..................
Oh whatever.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Sure it is, he's giving to people on Christ's Birthday because its Christs birthday..................
Oh whatever.
Christians today observe Christ's birthday on Christmas, don't you agree?
It really doesn't matter how it got to be that way.

Quick Reply: Why do liberals hate Christmas?