Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by MVWRX
A well regulated militia is not neccesary for the security of a free state if there is a standing army (which there wasn't when the 2nd amendment was written). Besides, the constitution is not writen in stone. Prohibition went in and back out. And if I remember correctly, there was a phrase in one of the original amendments that defined black Americans as some fraction of the political value of white Americans...

the constitution needs updates, and in my opinion the 2nd amendment is one that is in dire need of an update.

Besides, as Salty has said about the first amendment (when he points out that your freedom of speech is not as garaunteed as you think), your 2nd amendment rights are not as clear cut as you'd like to believe.
The 2nd is crystal clear.
Your desire to usurp the Constitution is also crystal clear.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Good. Because for all you know he charged into that classroom and some guys went at him and got killed, immediately thwarting any attempt. You just don't know so stop with the coulda woulda crap.

We all know if it were a group of Republicans in those classrooms they would have taken out the killer with laser beams from their eyes, and saved the world much like the republicans of today have done!

Why you gotta do that? Republicans? No. Those with experience? Probably. But that's not important and i'm not judging the victims, but rather what society has allowed us to become. And it’s not like survivors aren’t coming forward. According to first-hand accounts students laid down land/or hid, allowing the shooter to walk around and kill them, instead of having some backbone. Who does that? I watched an interview of a student that survived because she acted dead!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
anyone know why he did it?
ummmmm.......

He was crazy?

Best Chris Rock voice

"Whatever happened to just CRAZY?"
Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Salty
Weird huh?

A room full of students could easily apprehend a man with two pistols. Even if it meant one or two of them getting hit with a stray bullet it sure beat the inevitable slaughter that was about to take place or was actually happening.

Sorta proves the old assumption that the situation does not make the man... an old debate i'm sure you've heard about when talking about gallantry. I wonder if anyone tried to stop him? The professor?
Salty, this was not a room full of ex-green berets. These were 19-20 year old kids in FRENCH CLASS. It was 9 am. There is no reason to expect any of them to have somehow overpowered even a single gunman with nothing more than a coupe of 9s in his hands. If you were more than 2 seconds away from him, trying to do something would have gotten you a bullet. While I suppose I'd rather die making some sort of effort to defend myself and the people around me, I wouldn't pretend for a second that it's reasonable to expect anybody who was actually there to do anything.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

ummmmm.......

He was crazy?

Best Chris Rock voice

"Whatever happened to just CRAZY?"
Exactly.

Because asking "why he did it" turns it into a societal problem, which it is not. He was a lunatic.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
The 2nd is crystal clear.
No sir.
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Your desire to usurp the Constitution is also crystal clear.
Quite likely, sir.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Exactly.

Because asking "why he did it" turns it into a societal problem, which it is not. He was a lunatic.
Yep. Whatever happened in his malfunctioning brain that allowed him to overcome the built-in hereditary "don't kill people, it's bad" trait, we could not reliably prevent while in any way preserving liberty and freedom for the non-malfunctioning 99.99999% of us.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I am cool with Crazy
Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
While I suppose I'd rather die making some sort of effort to defend myself and the people around me, I wouldn't pretend for a second that it's reasonable to expect anybody who was actually there to do anything.
You would think the basic instinct to survive would be enough. But that holds no water because according to latest testimony of survivors that did not flee nothing happened on their part. So i guess you're right.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Why you gotta do that? Republicans? No. Those with experience? Probably. But that's not important and i'm not judging the victims, but rather what society has allowed us to become. And it’s not like survivors aren’t coming forward. According to first-hand accounts students laid down land/or hid, allowing the shooter to walk around and kill them, instead of having some backbone. Who does that? I watched an interview of a student that survived because she acted dead!
I gotta do it cause I gotta do it!

But seriously, her tactic worked for her didn't it? She's alive because she played dead. And there was an Air Force Cadet that died, I wonder if he tried to do anything? The fact is we don't know, and may never know.

I know one thing, if a guy has a gun in each hand I am not charging him, period. You may but you would most likely end up dead. Now if one could get the jump on him somehow sure but this all happened in the classrooms in a span of about 5 minutes, to college kids who most had probably never experienced a serious fight or flight situation. What do you expect them to do?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
its the fight or flight reaction. when people are faced with a life or death situation they dont know how they will respond until that exact second. I had to lock and load on a guy in Iraq and did it without thought because that is what I was trained to do. Was literally seconds from shooting him to save someones elses life and later that night I threw up all night.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
its the fight or flight reaction. when people are faced with a life or death situation they dont know how they will respond until that exact second. I had to lock and load on a guy in Iraq and did it without thought because that is what I was trained to do. Was literally seconds from shooting him to save someones elses life and later that night I threw up all night.
Exactly my point. You were trained. These kids when faced with fight or flight did what they thought would save their lives. Some jumped from windows, some played dead, maybe some tried to take the gunman out and died in the process, and some held doors shut and saved their classmates while the gunman shot through the door.

Question:

If the hijackers of Flight 93 had guns do you think those guys would have tried to take back the plane?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

But seriously, her tactic worked for her didn't it? She's alive because she played dead.
What i'm trying to say in post 54. The bottom line is that people would rather play dead. It's easier to do than charge a lunatic and it comes with probably the same likelihood of death. Again, I don't want to judge the victims... it's just disappointing to know that a sense of heroism probably wasn't strong in the room. But you're right, we'll most likely never REALLY know for sure... but my money is still on nothing happening given the latest from survivors. Just doesn't give me hope for society... can I at least have that?

Last edited by Salty; 04-17-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM

You would think the basic instinct to survive would be enough. But that holds no water because according to latest testimony of survivors that did not flee nothing happened on their part. So i guess you're right.
It is survival instinct, kind of.

"If I rush this guy, or try to organize a rush, I get shot. If I pretend I'm dead, maybe I don't get shot."
Old 04-17-2007, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

but my money is still on nothing happening given the latest from survivors. Just doesn't give me hope for society... can I at least have that?
Sure, you can but I say 9.99 times out of 10 in a University situation like that the outcome that you speak of would be the exact same. (People playing dead, jumping from windows, etc.) I think you put to much stock in the "heroism" clause.

Now if he charged into West Point maybe the outcome would have been different.

Quick Reply: Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?