Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

religion argument

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Thank you Ray

So many overbearing replies in this thread! Seems like every reply you make is negative, so you calling me a ***** doesn't hold much value

I don't push religion on anyone, i have lots of friends that laugh anytime Jesus or God is brought up and it confuses me and worries me that they may not go to the same place i will when we die.

You can think positively through life knowing that your spirit carries on after your life on earth has ended

Or you can go thru life thinking you're gonna rot in the ground, so live it up while you can.

Knowing I'm gonna see my sister, grandmas and grandpas again in Heaven is a great feeling, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Maybe others are right thinking for themselves, nobody really knows.

But it's no coincidence that all the great people that i've met in my life are religious in some sort, and the people that aren't are just...meh...for the most part. They just seem to be more negative overall. And i'm not saying you cant be positive, i'm just saying i've noticed i find better quality people when they are involved in some sort of religion.
There is is again, you are assuming that becuase they believe in different things than you that they are lesser than you are by stating that the only way to get into heaven, or whatever it is you thing you are going to when you die, is to hold the same beliefs as you. I would just like someone to explain to me how Jesus is the Messiah. If you read the old testament it clearly states that when the Messiah comes there will be peace on earth. Please show me peace on earth to back up the claim the Jesus was the Messiah. I also do not understand how someone can base their life of a book of stories that is completely contradictory many times over.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Im just saying i've met a lot of F'd up people in the head, beliefs aside, and if i had to make a pie chart of people i'm still friends with today, the majjority of it would be of people with something they believe in. They just emit more positivity i've gathered.

My best friend happens to believe in nothing and he is quite negative most of the time, but he is still my best friend...does that help you at all?

Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon

LOL ! LOL ! I love it... so basically if you feel like someone is a positive influence in your life... THEY MUST BE CHRISTIAN lol... so if you met me and you thought i was a nice guy... nice attitude.. do you then ask me if im a christian ? or do you just assume cause i was nice i am? Oh thats right, im not christian... so ide just be ... ehhh... to you right off the bat. LOL how do you know who is and isnt Christian. All those influential teachers or speakers you've ever heard... all the people you like on this forum... THEY MUST BE CHRISTIAN's right !
did i say "Must" or any other word that defintite?

I have never asked anyone what religion they are in my entire life. That doesnt matter that much to me. I would think you wouldve gotten that by my previous replies.

I like lots of people on this forum and i dont care what they believe it.

Matt happens to be one of my favorite members in here, and that's still not gonna change after this thread...on my side at least lol

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 02-23-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Thank you Ray

But it's no coincidence that all the great people that i've met in my life are religious in some sort, and the people that aren't are just...meh...for the most part. They just seem to be more negative overall. And i'm not saying you cant be positive, i'm just saying i've noticed i find better quality people when they are involved in some sort of religion.

ALL the great people are religious... and MOST of the non relig or just EHHHH lol ... seems like a pretty good generalization to me !
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
well i couldve broken it down to more specific terms, i didnt mean everyone thinks theyre too good, thats just some ive noticed.

I know lots of people that don't believe in anything and they are good people. I dont hold it against them either. Yeah some Christians get all up in your face walking downtown Santa Cruz or SF trying to push God on you, and i think that is wrong.

The fact is this was a specific religious thread. Others can make all the Scientology, Buddhist, Darwin whatever threads and say whatever they want in them. Sure i might click them, but im not gonna be offended by what they say within that thread, because they believe what they want.
Kyle, I was not offended by your theories of higher powers and the afterlife. I was offended by your judgement on others for their beliefs.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Kyle, I was not offended by your theories of higher powers and the afterlife. I was offended by your judgement on others for their beliefs.
+1 thats all that overbear, jewpac and myself are stating here. Awesome you have your beliefs... but to generalize non believers or people who believe in another "being" is offensive to alot of people
Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon
+1 thats all that overbear, jewpac and myself are stating here. Awesome you have your beliefs... but to generalize non believers or people who believe in another "being" is offensive to alot of people
Bingo. The statement about knowing where he is going when he dies assumes that those who hold different beliefs than he does will not be going to the same place solely becuase they have different beliefs. That is very narrow minded and judgemental of those of us who do not believe in the same things as the poster.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
^if i knew everyone was going to the same place when we die, i wouldnt GAF what anyone believes in. But it's not for sure, so it helps if everyoine is on the same page.

i dont see anything wrong with generalizations.

Generalizations are found in everyday life, and they are all statistics of facts and data built up in your mind over time...

for example...
should i eat that cookie that i dropped on the ground on an SF sidewalk? NO!
should i eat that cookie that i dropped on my driveway? It's possible!
should i eat that cookie that i dropped on the kitchen floor? F yeah!

So when you're lost at night in SF, you will just go up to anyone and ask directions? I think not. You go up to a person in decent clothing, possibly carrying a suitcase and walking up to their Porsche because you know they wont mug you.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
It's just a hard thing to get across without being offensive. Impossible actually.
Yes it is.

I've met Kyle before, he's been a better i-club friend than most. But apparently I'm just....meh
My best friend happens to believe in nothing and he is quite negative most of the time, but he is still my best friend
Youre not "meh"

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 02-23-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
So its ok that someone belittled others who "don't believe" but its bad form when someone calls them on it?
I meant to post that in the congratulatory thread, THIS is the debate thread... sorry I got the screens mixed up.

And props for making this thread and not using the other thread for this I dig the respect and will gladly show you the same.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Thank you Sigma for splitting the threads, I didn't really want to get the guys congratulatory thread locked.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by medicSTi
I meant to post that in the congratulatory thread, THIS is the debate thread... sorry I got the screens mixed up.

And props for making this thread and not using the other thread for this I dig the respect and will gladly show you the same.
actually that was me i made this thread so the other one isnt crapped on

I DID MOD WORK!!!!!!!11
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Thank you Sigma for splitting the threads, I didn't really want to get the guys congratulatory thread locked.
NP

i did mod work
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM

^if i knew everyone was going to the same place when we die, i wouldnt GAF what anyone believes in. But it's not for sure, so it helps if everyoine is on the same page.

i dont see anything wrong with generalizations.

Generalizations are found in everyday life, and they are all statistics of facts and data built up in your mind over time...

for example...
should i eat that cookie that i dropped on the ground on an SF sidewalk? NO!
should i eat that cookie that i dropped on my driveway? It's possible!
should i eat that cookie that i dropped on the kitchen floor? F yeah!

So when you're lost at night in SF, you will just go up to anyone and ask directions? I think not. You go up to a person in decent clothing, possibly carrying a suitcase and walking up to their Porsche because you know they wont mug you.
To say that a generalization about whether you should eat a cookie that you dropped on a public sidewalk in SF is the same as your generalization about where we go when we die is even more offensive. When you generalize about eating a cookie off the sidewalk you make a judgement that the sidewalk is dirty. When you make a judgement that I will be going to a different place than you when I die you make a judgement about me, based on our religious differences. You make the assumption that you are absolutely right in your religious beliefs and that anyone who holds different beliefs than you is wrong and cannot go to the same place as you when you die.

Last edited by jewpac42; 02-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
religion is for those who are to weak to save themselves
Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by jewpac42
To say that a generalization about whether you should eat a cookie that you dropped on a public sidewalk in SF is the same as your generalization about where we go when we die is even more offensive. When you generalize about eating a cookie off the sidewalk you make a judgement that the sidewalk is dirty. When you make a judgement that I will be going to a different place than you when I die you make a judgement about me, based on our religious differences. You make the assumption that you are absolutely right in your religious beliefs and that anyone who holds different beliefs than you is wrong and cannot go to the same place as you when you die.
You two will most certainly NOT be going to the same place when you die. If there's nothing after, different plots. If there IS something after, don't be upset when you're told to not let the door hit ya...
Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
Sorry dude, I get a bit touchy about the whole 'god' thing. I did "explore" as you say, that side. I was a 'born again' Christian, up tell I started to truly look at the religion. I saw the lies told by the church, the hypocrisy, the hate taught to the young (remember, the WBC is a Christian church too) and I walked away from it all.

Now, I believe in what science can prove to me. My faith is in my fellow man and in humanity not in a (no offense meant ok)"ghost in the clouds". I hold dear to what mankind can do for itself.

but at the end of the day we are all subie owners
Man, I'm really sorry to hear that, it really is sad when people, especially those claiming to believe in Christ, can cause other believers to doubt and walk away from their faith in Christ

Mankind will always let you down, which is why it is important to pursue God and have faith in Christ... Man is tempted by the devil and sinful in nature.

I want you to know that it is not the relationship with the church, with other Christians, society, or others that is required for your salvation. The ONLY thing that matters is believing in Christ and having a relationship with God through Jesus.

Christ was the only perfect Christian... Everyone else that lives and has lived sins, both every Christian and non-Christian... We are all guilty

Everyone except Christ.

Therefore it's completely understandable that non-Christians point to the hypocrisy that can be found by those claiming to follow Christ Remember though, everyone is in a different place in their walk with Christ... a lot of us our young believers, immature in our faith and susceptible to many mistakes.

The devil schemes to pull those who believe in God from him... especially new believers.

1 Peter 5:8 (New International Version)

8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

And when the devil does so, we are easily susceptible to his devoted schemes. Christians mess up all the time... we are all learning.

Ephesians 6 (New International Version)
The Armor of God

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

From what you posted, it sounds like mankind let you down with the Church and other's claiming to be Christians... not God, Jesus, and the Bible. Is that accurate?

-Steven

Last edited by medicSTi; 02-23-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: religion argument