Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

religion argument

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by medicSTi
Once again, before deluding the conversation with claims and no facts... please present facts. It's just rude to make me look up everything while others get away with adding gasoline to the fire without having to cite what they say...
ok:
fact - the gospels as we know them were written 300+ years after jesus death.

if you really want me to get into it, how about we discus horus? but first id like you to answer my last question...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
calling the Bible wrong simply because of slaves and wine doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 02-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
The evidence and proof of God's existence is evident in the life of a Christian. I think you wrote that without thinking. You basically said you believe in Christ and believe there is no evidence for God (i.e. the Bible) and that that is what your beliefs are all about...

So you said your beliefs are all about believing in something with no evidence... might want to reword that...
Your logic is flawed if that is your proof. Can you say the same if a person who lives the life believing in aliens or the Easter bunny is proof that aliens or the easter bunny do exist? Just because there is a group that believes in something doesn't make that something exist. I correct myself, God exist as a figment of one's imagination. It exist in a sense that it is made up in people's minds, but externally does not hold any bearing. God is only your truth, and no matter what anyone says, there is NO absolute truth, only the ideas we create in the world we live in. The world we live in is how we see ourselves and the world around us. Everyone sees it differently, so we aren't living in the same world. Yes the physical aspects are the same. So I guess, sure, God exist for you, but he does not for me, so do not try to argue because your "truth" is not my "truth". That is not evidence but flawed logic. The bible is definitely not proof that God exists. What if there was a book that someone wrote that proclaimed of Santa Claus' existence, or aliens, or the easter bunny, or Zeus, does that make it true? No, it does not. But it is your life, you can believe in what you want, just do not try to prove to others your world.

As for going to heaven, we humans have a hard time understanding the world without time. The universe was here, was here before anything, will be here after anything. There is no end, no beginning, just existed. As in life, we will die and cease to exist, that is hard to comprehend and scary. Religion helps people go by life easier knowing they are living for "something"...a way into heaven where you can live forever. To stop existing is a very scary thought, and many cannot handle it so they turn to religion. If it makes life easier to live for you, then be it. For me, I know that my purpose in life is to procreate and do what was evolutionarily programmed for me to do. I will enjoy life to the fullest. If any of you took a college evolution and ecology class or biology class, you will understand what is hard to understand - evolution. It is really interesting to learn and everything makes sense. Do dogs, cats, guinea pigs go to heaven? Why, they have done no good in God's foot step...do trees, flowers, shrubs go to heaven? Why not them and us? We are all product of evolution. But you say they are a product of God, so...trees go to heaven too?
plays well with others

Originally Posted by matthepcat
I hate to say it but your not the only person that has gone through suffering in this world. No one escapes suffering in this life. We all go through some pain, sadness, and adversity.

From what I understand this includes those that believe in whatever higher power they presume to follow.

To stake a claim that there is no greater power based on your suffering is your right, but I think it is a weak claim to try to "dis-prove" the presence of a God as most religions never claim that by believing you will be free of pain and hardship.
you still are not answering the question.

what just and merciful god would allow something like that to happen.
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by jewpac42
I dont tell lies either, not because of a religious thing, but because being untruthful to a fellow human being is wrong. And I dont need religion as a guide to tell me that.
That's really cool. I wish a lot more people were like that. It's really hard to not lie about stuff when it comes down to big things... Every day at work I see things that would be easier to lie about, but I try not to let temptation lead me to lying about what happened.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
what a joke
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

I believe in Karma, that generally good things happen to good people, and that there is a higher power somewhere in the universe.
I'm glad to hear it I'm glad you believe in doing good.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by irrational x
my mom was a catholic school teacher and the most religous person i have ever met.

she, quit literally, rotted away from the inside over the course of 2 years. eventually her body cavity was so full of blood, puss, and 'floating' tumors that the catheters sucking the fluid out couldn't handle it, and she drowned on her own internal organs.

you have certainly found yourself a merciful god haven't you?
I'm sorry to hear that man, I've seen some crazy stuff on the job... but not had to deal with any personal loss yet... I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to watch my mom die like that
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by Overbear
No, it wa the "fault" of the bible, its words, its message, and the people who spread said message (in that order) that caused me to "loose my faith". I found so many lies, so much hate in the words of that book. There is IMHO more hate in the bible, than in mine kamf.
There is not hatred in the bible, but there is hatred in how some people choose to interpret the bible.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Mormonism is a sect of Christianity.
I don't think that it's recognized by Christian scholars as being Christian because they don't believe in the Trinity. The Mormons say that they are Christian, not the Christians... if that makes sense.

I don't think Mormons acknowledge the difference in beliefs.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Then a lot of my beefs with organized religion, mostly Christianity, do not apply to you. Mainly just Catholics and Mormons.
I probably share them lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

I dont have a bible in front of me and its been a long time since I took a bible as literature class so I cannot quote exact scripture.
Oh. Okay, well if you want to have a site that you can search for stuff on in any translation, this is the one I use:

http://www.biblegateway.com/

Not asking you to go back and do it all now, just for future reference.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon

Maybe One that believed that by you having this experience in your life, that you would create a positive change in the world in some manner or you would impact another life positively. You even said yourself that a lot of things changed in your life because of this event, and you will never be able to fully know how this event impacted other lives that you may not even know.

Maybe the positive has not happened yet.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300

dont bother bringing satan into this. He couldnt possibly have played a part in anyones misfortunes~
Just keep blaming God for not keeping everyone healthy. Blame firefighters for letting fires happen etc etc.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
plays well with others

I'm sorry to hear that man, I've seen some crazy stuff on the job... but not had to deal with any personal loss yet... I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to watch my mom die like that
still not answering the question. i ask again:

why would a just and merciful god allow that to happen.

Quick Reply: religion argument