Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Obamarama - daily discussion on our 44th president

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Obama Seeks $634M Over 10 Years to Revamp Health Care System

Where in the Constitution does it allow for this?

Great, the top 2% of tax payers get ****ed again.
And this money won't get spent on illegals seeking treatment?
Yes, our heart goes out to the top 2%. They are hardly getting ****ed considering recent history. Between 1932-1981 the top bracket's tax shot up from 25% to peak as high as 94% maintaining an overall average in the ~80% range.

Income Tax History from inception in 1913 to 2000.

These guys are basically losing their mortgage interest deductions and charity donation deductions.

I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong, but if this is getting ****ed, I'd hate to see what would happen if it went back to pre-1980s taxes.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Yes, our heart goes out to the top 2%. They are hardly getting ****ed considering recent history. Between 1932-1981 the top bracket's tax shot up from 25% to peak as high as 94% maintaining an overall average in the ~80% range.

Income Tax History from inception in 1913 to 2000.

These guys are basically losing their mortgage interest deductions and charity donation deductions.

I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong, but if this is getting ****ed, I'd hate to see what would happen if it went back to pre-1980s taxes.
Exactly. Here are the increases:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...vtk&refer=home

I hardly call that getting ****ed.

33% - 36%

35% - 39.6%

Capital gains:
15% - 20%

New taxes suck. But it really isn't that bad. And there is no way taxes are going to go back up to pre-1981 levels anytime soon. Its politically impossible.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Obama in power grab

More change you can hope in: expanding the executive branch.
Interesting to see what will happen....

Obama faces a decision as early as next week on whether to support a claim of executive privilege made by former President Bush in refusing to allow Karl Rove, the former deputy White House chief of staff, to be deposed by the House Judiciary Committee on the White House’s role in the 2006 firing of nine U.S. attorneys.

Bush claimed “absolute immunity” for top advisers in resisting such subpoenas, but Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, filed a lawsuit over the issue. The case is on appeal, and the Obama administration is scheduled to file a motion next week laying out its stance on the issue.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
they should just put a 25c per transaction charge for all equities and commodity trading... that would pay of the national debt faster than you could imagine and no one would notice.

my broker fee is 9.75 per transaction... if that went up to $10 i would not bat an eyelash... and there are hundreds of millions of transactions a day.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
they should just put a 25c per transaction charge for all equities and commodity trading... that would pay of the national debt faster than you could imagine and no one would notice.

my broker fee is 9.75 per transaction... if that went up to $10 i would not bat an eyelash... and there are hundreds of millions of transactions a day.
Sweet! Where do I sign up for that plan?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Obama Seeks $634M Over 10 Years to Revamp Health Care System

Where in the Constitution does it allow for this?
There are a lot of things about our government that are not specifically allowed for in the constitution. I'm no constitutionalist, but I also don't think it should be considered a living document. Expansion of federal power is always a bad thing, in my opinion.

Having said that, one could argue that this covers it:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
I don't necessarily agree, but I've seen the "general welfare clause" used in this kind of debate.

Great, the top 2% of tax payers get ****ed again.
Just curious, what do you mean by the "top 2%"? 'cause if you're talking about the extremely wealthy, **** them--they don't pay their share in taxes anyway.

And this money won't get spent on illegals seeking treatment?
I'd say there are more important things to worry that they'll waste the money on. But hey, that's just me.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Sweet! Where do I sign up for that plan?
Wellsfargo PMA? or did you mean teh 25c per transaction tax...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by saqwarrior

Just curious, what do you mean by the "top 2%"? 'cause if you're talking about the extremely wealthy, **** them--they don't pay their share in taxes anyway.

This is patently false.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM

This is patently false.
Explain, please. Here's what the IRS reports:

Top 1% of wage earners paid over 34% of the income taxes.
Top 5% of wage earners paid almost 55% of the income taxes.
Top 10% of wage earners paid almost 66% of the income taxes.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
plays well with others

Explain, please. Here's what the IRS reports:

Top 1% of wage earners paid over 34% of the income taxes.
Top 5% of wage earners paid almost 55% of the income taxes.
Top 10% of wage earners paid almost 66% of the income taxes.
i believe IRS 'wages' count as total compensation, ie, including salary and things like stock grants. doesn't make it better, but it does shed more light on the numbers
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by irrational x
i believe IRS 'wages' count as total compensation, ie, including salary and things like stock grants. doesn't make it better, but it does shed more light on the numbers
I know bonuses are counted, but I didn't think stock is counted unless it's cashed in...

Either way, **** the rich.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 PM

Buffett Slams Tax System Disparities

Originally Posted by Warren Buffett, Washington Post
Buffett cited himself, the third-richest person in the world, as an example. Last year, Buffett said, he was taxed at 17.7 percent on his taxable income of more than $46 million. His receptionist was taxed at about 30 percent."
Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary

Originally Posted by Warren Buffett, UK Times Online
Speaking at a $4,600-a-seat fundraiser in New York for Senator Hillary Clinton, Mr Buffett, who is worth an estimated $52 billion (£26 billion), said: “The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter. If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”

Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent. Mr Buffett told his audience, which included John Mack, the chairman of Morgan Stanley, and Alan Patricof, the founder of the US branch of Apax Partners, that US government policy had accentuated a disparity of wealth that hurt the economy by stifling opportunity and motivation.

The comments are among the most signficant yet in a debate raging on both sides of the Atlantic about growing income inequality and how the super-wealthy are taxed.
That doesn't sound to me like the "top 2% of tax payers getting ****ed." Although maybe I have a different definition of ****ed than you, Paul.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I'm calling BS on his coffee getter's tax rate.

When I was making nealy the same salary, my effective tax rate was ~15%.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM

I'm calling BS on his coffee getter's tax rate.

When I was making nealy the same salary, my effective tax rate was ~15%.
I'd agree with that skepticism. What kind of secretary pays 30% income tax? She needs a new accountant.

Numbers don't lie, but people do.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
plays well with others

I know bonuses are counted, but I didn't think stock is counted unless it's cashed in...

Either way, **** the rich.
exactly, lots of bonuses are paid in stock. im not sure if the "total compensation" is counted in the income tax disparity info

Quick Reply: Obamarama - daily discussion on our 44th president