Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Obamarama - daily discussion on our 44th president

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
^^^

Yes, that's what that means.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R spec V
stimuls = Waste of money
even parts of our own goverment say that it will hurt our GDP in the future
soiclasim is bad
Public health care is bad
need i say more
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Soundguy1
stimuls = Waste of money
soiclasim is bad
need i say more
Why would you believe some part of the government over others, possibly just because they match your opinion?

You also forgot:

Our economy is bad
Political partisanship is bad
Pointing out flaws in things w/o having a better solution is bad

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 02-16-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Why would you believe some part of the government over others, possibly just because they match your opinion?

You also forgot:

Our economy is bad
*claps*
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
^^^

Yes, that's what that means.
why would obama want final say about a car company

he had a hemi 300c
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Soundguy1
stimuls = Waste of money
soiclasim is bad
need i say more
public health care is crap!!

look at the peeps ripping off medi cal
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy

You also forgot:

Our economy is bad
protectionism is bad
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
9 to 5 mod

You also forgot:

Our economy is bad
so you are saying capitolism is bad thing to have??

because political partisian is a bad thing to have ??

i dont get it
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by sigma pi
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/16/r...of-task-force/

obama is going to run GM and chrysler
oh good, another committee...
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by irrational x
protectionism is bad
Well protectionism implies there is something left to protect, and someone willing to protect it. It's too late if you ask me.

The reason Obama is expanding government ownership of business is because no executive in his/her right mind would keep their HQ in the USA under Obama's insane policies. He has to keep GM/Chrysler/Ford and the banks under U.S. control before they pack up and leave.

The same reason why protectionism doesn't work is parallel to why executive pay caps won't work either... it's about a global economy stupid!

What astounds me is that people knew that U.S. business leaders favored McShame 80:1 and said Obama would destroy businesses, yet you voted for Hussain anyway.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier

i dont get it
No, our economy is in bad shape and with no changes will be bad in the future due to greedy ****s on wall street.

Parties and partisanship are two separate things. Parties are not bad, but strict partisanship doesn't get us anywhere

And to simply criticize something like the stimulus without proposing any alternative solutions is weak at best.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Well protectionism implies there is something left to protect, and someone willing to protect it. It's too late if you ask me.

The reason Obama is expanding government ownership of business is because no executive in his/her right mind would keep their HQ in the USA under Obama's insane policies. He has to keep GM/Chrysler/Ford and the banks under U.S. control before they pack up and leave.

The same reason why protectionism doesn't work is parallel to why executive pay caps won't work either... it's about a global economy stupid!

What astounds me is that people knew that U.S. business leaders favored McShame 80:1 and said Obama would destroy businesses, yet you voted for Hussain anyway.
Pack up and go somewhere else? You mean shut their downs and go out of business. And just because business support something, doesn't mean everyone else should. Of course they said Obama would destroy business, he was going to reverse the GWB tax cuts. Why would they applaud that? They want more tax cuts, but so does everyone else.

And let's not forget, that even with the GWB tax cuts, businesses still managed to **** themselves over, save for blaming it on Obama.

And yes, protectionism is bad. It does keep companies alive, but growth is very slow or stagnant. Nobody viewing this thread is promoting this. Businesses would rather not get these government loans because they obviously don't want the government controlling their business decisions. Some of these banks have already budgeted out how to pay back these loans in the next year to avoid such a situation. But when huge businesses have a big impact on the nations economy, they should act as such and show responsibility. I don't think it's right that their bad decisions can have such an adverse affect on the global economy that they should just be able to say "We ****ed up and we're filing for bankruptcy... tough **** for anyone who relying on us". If these companies can go back to being financially viable, it's worth a shot.

As far as who favored who in the election:

Business leaders probably did favor McCain because they wanted more tax cuts, probably why voters supported Obama, more tax cuts. I'm for tax cuts across the board, but Washington will never decrease its spending enough to accommodate that. So you either cut taxes up top, or at the bottom. Either one has it's benefits.

The reason why McCain's tax plan didn't resonate with me was this:

1) Bush had already cut taxes on the top tier from 39% to 35% and similar tax cuts down the line. But Bush had a federal reserve to draw from to help pay for that. Now that the government is in the red, McCain offered to cut top tier taxes again, but this time not much of a cut on the end of the tax bracket, if any.

2) When Regan implemented his tax plan, the top tier was paying 70% income tax. This was obviously unfair and hindering profitability and growth. Over his terms in office he lowered the top tier all the way down to 28%. This obviously had a huge positive affect on the economy. Such a tax cut at this point isn't feasible since the highest tax rate is currently 35%. So saying that cutting taxes even more won't have anywhere near the same impact as Regan's plan.

Regan also increased government spending during his term even though he promoted small government. But he managed to increase government spending in lockstep with the increase of the countries GDP.

Obama's tax plan wasn't much better in my opinion either:

1) He kept revising his plan over the campaign so it was unclear where the center line where the tax cuts and tax increases would meet $250K?

2) Although I was happy to hear my tax bracket was going to be lowered, at this point in the economy, bringing the higher tax brackets back to pre-W Bush levels could still hurt. even though the majority of us would have some more money to spend, businesses already hurting would may not be able to profit even with some more consumer spending. There's also the fact that a good majority would use that money to pay off existing debt, use it for IRA/401Ks, or just throw it in savings.

That's my take on it.

And it's spelled "Hussein" with an "e". If you're going to go low-brow and take cheap shots at his name, might as well get the spelling right. I'm sure if it was your middle name you'd appreciate the same gesture.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM

i dont get it
Oooops, let me clarify:

Our economy is in bad shape at the moment. America's business is still business.

Political partisanship is a bad thing to have. Period. It draws lines and boundaries where ideas from outside those boundaries are rejected. It creates a large group of people all thinking the same way and avoiding any and all outside influence. It discourages any compromising or rational advice.

Would you want a congress where everyone thinks the same way, or would you want as many independent thinkers as possible?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by superglue wrx
why would you believe some part of the government over others, possibly just because they match your opinion?

You also forgot:

Our economy is bad
political partisanship is bad
pointing out flaws in things w/o having a better solution is bad
+1.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by HellaDumb

i didnt vote for B O

mccain is a war hero and has nothing to be ashamed about

Quick Reply: Obamarama - daily discussion on our 44th president