Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Obamarama - daily discussion on our 44th president

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Magish
However, the majority of illegal immigrants are not terrorists or drug runners. They are regular people who end up helping our economy. I doubt that anybody posting in this thread has had a job opportunity taken by an illegal alien.
Do you have any interactions with illegal immigrants? I have worked with quite a few and generally they are nice, honest, and ****ing hard working individuals. From my standpoint, they work WAY harder for less money and are more appreciative when they get paid. I get cheap labor, they get money for themselves and their families to live better lives. Win win.

Keep 'um here.
How can you sleep at night exploiting people and ruining our country/economy?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
It is rare that paul and I see eye to eye...... weird? maybe the end of the world is coming?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
How can you sleep at night exploiting people and ruining our country/economy?
I'm not paying them $2.50 an hour while whipping them into submission.

Let me give you some context:

I help run a ranch, which has been in the family for three generations. Its located in the real South Park Colorado, which is a high plain at 10,000ft above sea level located about 2 hours from Boulder, where I am now living. I head up there most fridays to spend the weekend working, playing, and relaxing. However, due to the size of the ranch and the age of a lot of the facilities, it is almost always more work than play. There is always a lot of family up there to help out, but since the winters are so harsh we always need more labor in the summers.

We have always hired locals, but 90% of the time they are worthless pieces of ****, especially in the last couple decades. They ***** and moan about being paid more than minimum wage, they are rude, and absolutely inefficient. Fixing a fence, or repairing a barn takes 10x longer than it would in the hands of a normal human being. So what do we get for hiring a local hard workin American? We pay more for less work. Hell, if it snowed, they would take the day off (without calling), call in sick the next day (since they were hungover), and then ask for a pay advance the next day since they blew all their money at the bar.

A few years ago we tried hiring some immigrants, presumably illegal, from another town which is crawling with them. We paid them less, though still above minimum wage. Know what? They busted their asses, day in and day out. They were honest, kind, and decent. They were appreciative of the money they were being paid, and dedicated to doing the best job possible. Overall, they were stand up individuals and I could give two ****s whether or not they jumped a 3 foot barbed wire fence.

I sleep quite well at night knowing that I paid the best men for the job, and not simply the local **** living down the road with an undeserved sense of entitlement. I know that the money I paid to the immigrants will go a long way to support them and their families, and will not simply be pissed away the next night at the bar. Would I like to hire local Americans? YES! But it simply does not make sense. And 90% of the other local ranchers would agree.
-Jeff
Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Jeff:

I appreciate your story; it does suck for all parties.

But remove the supply of illegal labor and you'd most likely have to pay more to get better labor.

Illegals keep the supply high, which forces down wages.

The way I see it, in a few more months, you'll be able to pay even less for American workers.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Jeff:

I appreciate your story; it does suck for all parties.

But remove the supply of illegal labor and you'd most likely have to pay more to get better labor.

Illegals keep the supply high, which forces down wages.

The way I see it, in a few more months, you'll be able to pay even less for American workers.
Thanks. I agree, it does suck. And I hope it gets better. We'll see what happens in a few months

I guess my point is this:

It is far too easy to say "stop illegal immigration" or "send 'um back". Doing so does not actually address the problem. Any effective legislation has to address both the causes and the effects.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Honestly, I think this is pretty irrelevent.

a) He didn't know her very well, and did not assist her in entering the country illegally. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27481680/)
b) Does this really matter to you that much?

I don't understand this country's obsession with illegal immigration. Obviously, we should make out boarders more secure in order to protect ourselves against terrorism and drug cartels. However, the majority of illegal immigrants are not terrorists or drug runners. They are regular people who end up helping our economy. I doubt that anybody posting in this thread has had a job opportunity taken by an illegal alien.

I hope she stays and lives a prosperous and successful life .
if you murdered someone and i had full knowledge of it and i allowed you to hide in my house i would be guilty of aiding and abetting.

non-participation in the crime itself doesnt matter.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
if you murdered someone and i had full knowledge of it and i allowed you to hide in my house i would be guilty of aiding and abetting.

I hardly think you can compare being an illegal immigrant to being a murderer. Not all crimes carry the same weight.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I hardly think you can compare being an illegal immigrant to being a murderer. Not all crimes carry the same weight.
Don't bother. Barack has a little over 1400 days to serve in office and some people will spend each day finding more ways to hate on him. But when the same criticism was applied to Bush, it was different because they were just labeled as unpatriotic liberal hippies (no double standard at all).
Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Don't bother. Barack has a little over 1400 days to serve in office and some people will spend each day finding more ways to hate on him. But when the same criticism was applied to Bush, it was different because they were just labeled as unpatriotic liberal hippies (no double standard at all).
Yup, its fun that way. It will be an interesting 1400 .

Another point:

Wouldn't you do the same if it was your family? If you aunt was here illegally, would you report her? Would you distance yourself from her?

I certainly would not.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
nope, theres plenty of **** that bushes administration did that violated the law, your an unpatriotic liberal hippie for other reasons
Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
plays well with others

we just throw murderers in jail and give them free food and cable for the rest of their lives. we send illegals back to the ****hole they came from.

maybe we should deport murderers?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
No, I'm not.

Do you have any interactions with illegal immigrants? I have worked with quite a few and generally they are nice, honest, and ****ing hard working individuals. From my standpoint, they work WAY harder for less money and are more appreciative when they get paid. I get cheap labor, they get money for themselves and their families to live better lives. Win win.

Keep 'um here.
and im sure they pay taxes on those wages??
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by sigma pi
and im sure they pay taxes on those wages??
They pay sales taxes when they spend those wages
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM

nope, theres plenty of **** that bushes administration did that violated the law, your an unpatriotic liberal hippie for other reasons
"yore"

I only complained when Bush made bad decisions in office. I didn't really care much about his life before president because it was irrelevant to how he did his job as pres (DWI, cocaine use, etc).

I would not have complained if he didn't snitch on his own aunt for being an illegal immigrant. If you're pro-deportation of family members, that's your deal. I would have actually criticized Obama if he had ratted on his aunt and had her deported. That's a total dirtbag move.

Either way, gossip about petty personal matters is much different than overriding Habeas Corpus. The news should stick to reporting news and not being the political version of Access Hollywood.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Koan
They pay sales taxes when they spend those wages
Not if they only shop at the flea market.

How dare they make their $1.50 an hour and not pay taxes. What criminals. Their employers should really report them to the authorities.

Quick Reply: Obamarama - daily discussion on our 44th president