Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Marine Shoots and Kills Wounded Iraqi Prisoner

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by Oaf
This is war.
Mistakes will be made.

This tape was shown on American televison?
What network aired it?
I asked, 'cause I question why this made it to prime time but none of the beheading videos.
I saw it on fox news, did you see the guy on the grounds eye gushing blood before they cut video ?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FUNKED1
Just watched that video. I think that soldier is in deep ****. Didn't look like a risky situation at all based on what you see and what the soldiers are discussing. Would be nice to see the whole thing unedited though, not just the "money shot".

The stuff towards the end of the video sure looked like BS though. Media is always looking for a story whether it exists or not.

Thanks for the link.
sorry dude , combat is a risky situation! lay off the crack
Old 11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subaruguru
In other news, jihadists put out a video where they execute Margaret Hassan, a civillian woman who spent her life doing humanitarian work in baghdad.

Legal issues aside, shooting someone who was first wounded while trying to kill you and the rest of the marines with you is peanuts morally compared to executing civillian women aid workers and chopping off the heads of truck drivers on video.

If you ask me, it's unamerican and a disservice to the Iraqi people that this Marine's incident even made the news. Crimes like this should be dealt with privately during a war where so much is at stake. Morally wrong or not, putting this on television only makes it that much harder to win the war in Iraq and to restore freedom and civil society to the Iraqi people.
The broadcast I heard said she was raped and sodamized also.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Yep, he should have turned and fired on the camera man afterwards if you ask me.
That stupid sob gave the tape to al jazeera. That's a capital offense IMO.
it was the BBC what do you expect? **** them punks!
edgar, :/
Old 11-16-2004, 06:09 PM
VIP Member

keep this in mind... the guy was moving a little and in the soldiers mind he could have been booby trapped to explode

remember the day before that had happened and 3 marines were killed.

i stand firm when i say i would have done the same thing... what would have avoided this situation in the first place would have been to clear the room with a grenade killing everything inside and setting any booby traps off

edgar,
Old 11-16-2004, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

The islamofacists have no rules of war. America is the only one who plays by the rules
Old 11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
The islamofacists have no rules of war. America is the only one who plays by the rules
yup and its sad that nice guys always finish last... i say **** the rules of engagement but eh
edgar,
Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
yup and its sad that nice guys always finish last... i say **** the rules of engagement but eh
edgar,
yeah but that fuels the fire for the "loony left", wich is really what sucks
Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Talking Zip tie em

Originally Posted by Salty
Although I'm inclined to agree it's not entirely necessary when clearing a room to gather intelligence. Your job is to clear the room of hostile individuals and then collected intelligence via the old swift knee to the groin and POW/PIR search.

I have trained with Marines in CQB/doctrine and even though most of their SOP's differ from the Army, they know how to effectively clear rooms. The hard part about this situation is that you have a tired, and in this case wounded Marine that's going to be on edge after walking through the fatal funnel (the area around the door). Add this combination with an somewhat surgical ROE and tons of city blocks to clear and the only factor left is time.
I'm hoping that the Marines actions are justified...Yes the job was to clear the building. I don't know what the scenario was but I'm assuming the Marines took fire, returned fire, stacked on the building, entered and killed the crap out of everything. Then on the dead check they see a body moving. I'm guessing the Marine making a split second assesment (that's all you have time for) deemed the moving body a threat (reaching for weapon, percieved to have been booby trapped...etc.) and eliminated the threat. As far as intel gathering, I only say that if the Marine deemed the moving body to not be a threat. He would have Zip tied it and sent the bastard off to the rear with the guys pulling security or whatever. Damn, for some reason I always feel like I'm rambling...

In anycase I know somebody is going to pick the crap out of the ROE and try to fry this guy.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
sorry dude , combat is a risky situation! lay off the crack
Lay off the personal remarks.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
And I think you're stupidester for having agreed with him.
So you don't think executing an unarmed, severely wounded prisoner on TV was a mistake?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
VIP Member

So you don't think executing an unarmed, severely wounded prisoner on TV was a mistake?
cause it was on tv yes in general NO! this guy is a terrioist thats not in uniform i think all is fair if you dont follow the rules to begin with

edgar,
Old 11-16-2004, 08:26 PM

So any civilians who resist are subject to summary execution after capture? Is slow beheading OK or just bullets to the head?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
So any civilians who resist are subject to summary execution after capture? Is slow beheading OK or just bullets to the head?
No, not any civilian is fair game.
Those that have taken up arms against the US aren't afforded the same rights under the GC.
Look what happened during WW2 to German spies & members of the Werewolf units that were caught ....tied to a pole & shot.
Not quite the same thing as capturing a dedicated humanitarian relief worker, torturing her, possibly raping her, and then putting a bullet into her skull.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 PM

Those that have taken up arms against the US aren't afforded the same rights under the GC.
GC is one thing...
USMC's rules of warfare are another.
In fact there was a Marine spokesman on TV talking about this.
I'm pretty sure their official rules on processing wounded PWs don't involve a round in the forehead...

Quick Reply: Marine Shoots and Kills Wounded Iraqi Prisoner