Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Latino themed cartoons make kids stupid

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MVWRX
If Spanish isn't Mexico's native language, then English is not the US's native language. (Both countries had natives before Euros took over)

The other thing is that the premise of your whole argument is wrong. You seem to be saying that by having a BI-ligual (not Spanish, but BILINGUAL) cartoon, that kids will learn LESS English. However if you examine the situation, you will see that this type of language exposure to children will help them be able to learn more languages in the future; in other words, by exposing both English speaking and Spanish speaking children to a program in which they speak both English and Spanish, both groups will be more able to learn multiple languages (weather it be ESL, SSL, or Manderin as a second language) and so it DOES enable Mexican-American children to be more able to compete in the American work force.
For the same reason (being exposed to many languages early on), there will be no negative effect of exposing English speaking children to Spanish at an early age (again I bring up the Sesame St Spanish leasons and how they haven't hurt anyone that I know of...).

So every assumption that you base your aversion to this children's program on (assuming that this would be 'bad' for English speakers and that it would cause complacense among Spanish speakers) is false.
This thread is done.
Obviously you don't know the problems facing California and other schools where a large mex-bilingual student-base exists. With friends and two parents teaching-credentialed in CA, I can tell you that the worst performing students are ones from Mexico. If you really want to help mexican immigrant be on par with other immigrants that are NOTORIOUSLY SUCCESSFUL in U.S. schools, you don't do it through cartoons with heavy hispanic accents on dynosaurs! If you think accents don't matter, try watching news in the south where southern accents are "un-taught."

At the same time the mexican-american children are being congratulated for their heritage, immigrant children from all other walks of life are leaving them in the dust. So who is the racist again?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
That response made no sense. My mom teaches at a bilingual school in Mtn View...two of my friends teach at bilingual schools in the east bay. And my best friend from HS teaches at a biligual school near Whittier. Nice try though. All those schools have problems; the problem is when a biligual class turns into a Spanish speaking class (which I acknowlege does happen). But that has absolutly NOTHING to do with this issue.

And you still haven't pointed out the difference between this show and the Sesame St. lessons in Spanish that have been on for 15+ years.

Nor have you answered the question about you learning a second language.

Last edited by MVWRX; 02-23-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
At the same time the mexican-american children are being congratulated for their heritage, immigrant children from all other walks of life are leaving them in the dust.

You really need to wake up. I know an assload of people who are very much into their Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, African, Argentinean, etc.... culture and are proud of it and celebrate their heritage. They are not embracing or ditching their heritage any more or any less than Mexican Americans. Please stop making unfounded claims like this...it makes me feel dumber for having wasted my time trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:33 PM

That response made no sense. My mom teaches at a bilingual school in Mtn View...two of my friends teach at bilingual schools in the east bay. And my best friend from HS teaches at a biligual school near Whittier. Nice try though.
What does that mean? Have you actually gone into the issues around student performance and the underlying non-PC factors? I assume these are hispanic bilinguals, because other immigrant groups assimilate and succeed quickly through total English immersion!

The problem is when a biligual class turns into a Spanish speaking class (which I acknowlege does happen). But that has absolutly NOTHING to do with this issue.
It has everything to do with the issue. Chinese immigrants aren't going to do any better if you give cartoon dynosaurs heavy Chinese accents!

And you still haven't pointed out the difference between this show and the Sesame St. lessons in Spanish that have been on for 15+ years.
Nor have you answered the question about you learning a second language.
Sesame Street is not what I'm talking about.
I've had 1 year of spanish, and 3 years of French, if that's what your asking.

You really need to wake up. I know an assload of people who are very much into their Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, African, Argentinean, etc.... culture and are proud of it and celebrate their heritage. They are not embracing or ditching their heritage any more or any less than Mexican Americans. Please stop making unfounded claims like this...it makes me feel dumber for having wasted my time trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.
Claims like what? Like cartoons with Cheech and Chong accented dynosaurs don't make kids stupid? These cartoons butcher the English language, intertwining English with Spanish words and accents. That's kinda like teaching kids "valley-girl gag me with a spoon" phraseology and then laughing as they try to communicate on a professional level when they "grow up."

This is just one piece in a large puzzle to screw up the country.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-23-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:02 PM

Your claims are that this cartoon (and being exposed to Spanish at all) will be a negative influence on both Spanish speaking immigrants and English speaking Americans. That is SO F***ING STUPID.

This is not a new thing for cartoons or kid's shows...and it's never caused problems before.

You clearly did not learn any second language when you were little...and it's fairly obvious you were not exposed to any cultures other than your own as well.

I still can't beleive you're this upset about a kid's cartoon that uses some Spanish in it. Have you seen children's programing? Do you realize that ALL the shows for kids nowadays have multicultural diversity in them? And do you realize that you're the only person who thinks that's a bad thing?

I hope you have kids that learn Spanish from their friends at school...you'll overhear "Mi padre piensa que el es muy inteligente, pero yo se mi padre es muy tonto porque el no le gustan nadie diferente..."

Last edited by MVWRX; 02-23-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 PM

It has everything to do with the issue. Chinese immigrants aren't going to do any better if you give cartoon dynosaurs heavy Chinese accents!

No, nobody said they would. They wouldn't do worse either; and more importantly, American kids who see a dynosaur speaking Chinese playing with a dynosaur that speaks English will learn a leason in acceptance...you could have used a good cartoon like that...
Old 02-23-2006, 04:13 PM

By the way...Sabes tu padre que quieres los hombres?

Tu madre tiene mis bendejos en sus dientes tambien...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM

No, nobody said they would. They wouldn't do worse either; and more importantly, American kids who see a dynosaur speaking Chinese playing with a dynosaur that speaks English will learn a leason in acceptance...you could have used a good cartoon like that...
Dang, did I misspell dinosaur? See, I spent too much time learning useless foreign languages.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:47 PM

By the way...Sabes tu padre que quieres los hombres?

Tu madre tiene mis bendejos en sus dientes tambien...
I forgot most of the Spanish learned in school but know how to order beer (important) and food, sell car parts to spanish customers, and say "mucho travajo" or whatever when illegals are digging in my yard. They always ask for a guy named Aqua but I tell them I don't know where he is . Did I forget to say, they call me "pinche bendeho?" Illegals get a kick out of it when I tell them my spanish name.

Wait, I do remember how to tell the teacher to suck my ***** in spanish.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-23-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I still don't understand what the problem is with dora.

???
Old 02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Yeah, no-brainer all right! I'd be willing to bet you 5 bucks that average IQs are lower in bilingual Spanish/English speakers versus bilingual Mandarin/English speakers.... do you really want to go there?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

*sigh*

you dont even understand the concept of IQ do you?

dre
Old 02-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
*sigh*

you dont even understand the concept of IQ do you?

dre
You don't realize that I was making a racist remark in jest.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-23-2006 at 10:39 PM.