Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

If you can't trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Just like salty I am pro-choice as well. But does that mean that every instance of an abortion is good or there is no downside, no.

The underlying fact is that it's not up to me. I can't point at someone and tell them what to do with their body. Does that mean I like what their doing, no. Regardless of what I think does that change the fact that they can do it, no.

Abortion is not up to me, you, congress, allah, mohammed, calvin, hobbes, or anyone but the person having the baby. So even though some of these people shouldn't be trusted to drive they do have the right to do whatever they want with thier body.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
So even though some of these people shouldn't be trusted to drive they do have the right to do whatever they want with thier body.
But i think the argument is that the child doesnt have a choice. It's valid, i guess - but for some reason it doesnt quite work for me - i can't explain why. I think as men, we will never be able to understand the weird psychological and spiritual reality of having a living thing being inside you. That is really a weird idea, we're used to to it i guess - but if you really think about it - its pretty mind blowing. We'll never understand it, but its america - its our job to tell other people how to live their lives.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by constellation
We'll never understand it, but its america - its our job to tell other people how to live their lives.
It's our weird mental desire and want but not our job or right.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:57 AM

It's our weird mental desire and want but not our job or right.
Werd.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
You guys keep going in circles because of a big hole in your reasoning. The hole is that you have not defined why abortion is sometimes not the correct answer. If you want to be pro-choice but say that abortion is not always a good solution or that abortion can be irresponsibly misused, you must explain WHY!

And please, lets not keep bringing up the biggest lie of the pro-choice movement. Pro-life folks are not against choice You must take into account that their perspective is that abortion is murder. Do pro-choice people want to throw out laws against murder? Of course not. Pro-life people do not think that. So why should pro-choice folks say that the pro-life fight is about restricting choices? This big lie of the pro-choice movement was a tool to move the conversation away from the completely unanswerable question of when life begins, to the ultimate American anthem of personal freedoms. Pro-life activists are not trying to limit your choices - they don't care about your choices. Thy are just against what they believe is murder.

jason
Old 01-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Dirty Redhead

Werd.
Fer Shizzle
Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by mmboost
This big lie of the pro-choice movement was a tool to move the conversation away from the completely unanswerable question of when life begins, to the ultimate American anthem of personal freedoms.jason

If the question is completely unanswerable, then what's wrong with moving the conversation/debate away from that question? Arguing about something that is completely unanswerable seems completely unintelligent...I don't see why you think it's a 'big lie of the pro-choice movement".
Old 01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by mmboost
Pro-life activists are not trying to limit your choices - they don't care about your choices. Thy are just against what they believe is murder.
You want your question of when life starts to be answered? Alright, I'll get right on that after I find out the meaning of life.

Oh wait both questions have the same answer. It's up to everyone to make up their own mind about it.

You and other Pro-life activits can believe it's murder all day long. And even if it is by many peoples thinking it still doesn't change the underlying big issue here,(Wait didn't you say something that sounds the same?) it's not up to you and the pro-choice person that's having the abortion doesn't care about your opinion.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:36 AM

You guys keep going in circles because of a big hole in your reasoning. The hole is that you have not defined why abortion is sometimes not the correct answer. If you want to be pro-choice but say that abortion is not always a good solution or that abortion can be irresponsibly misused, you must explain WHY!
WHY? What is the point? Shouldn't it be obvious? Me explaining this to you is not holding up the mirror to my own inferior morality or logic, if thats the machevellian tactic you are trying to employ. PLUS, i've already gone over this - i dont think it should be used as birth control, or as a quick fix for an irresponsible idiot. But thats me, a 23 year old MALE - abortion is about as tangible to me as the reality of menopause - it's not my choice nor my concern, nor is it any of yours.
Making abortion legal will only make it unsafe, there will be no quality control thus costing more lives. Responsibility needs to start on a social level, because outlawing it will do absolutley nothing except make you feel better at night.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:56 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Quoted to point out your Freudian slip.

Making abortion legal will only make it unsafe, there will be no quality control thus costing more lives. Responsibility needs to start on a social level, because outlawing it will do absolutley nothing except make you feel better at night.
Your point of "thus costing more lives" is wrong.
You've assumed that every person that would have sought a legal abortion would still seek an illegal abortion; more likely that an abortion ban would have a deterent effect.
The issue of whether it's murder or not is moot; an abortion ends a life, and sometimes two.
Now, we can split hairs all day long, defining when life begins...at conception, at birth, etc. but what's the point?
It's like arguing which religion or political party is better.

Bottom line is this:
If you are comfortable with ending a life, fine, do it.
But don't preach that it's moral/"right"/OK/etc.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:41 PM

If you are comfortable with ending a life, fine, do it.
But don't preach that it's moral/"right"/OK/etc.
Right, but it goes both ways.
Don't preach that its immoral to stop a life before its begun. As you said yourself, its open to interpretation.