Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Freeman: 'black history is American history’

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I think that's the exact opposite sentimate to Freeman's quote. From what I gather, I believe Morgan was saying that we should have all learned all of black history during elementary school while we were learning about American history, because they are one and the same. I'm sure he'd think similarly about the historys of the other minority groups you mention as well.
Of course! You miss my point. I'm not saying black history shouldn't be covered... i'm simply saying that it cannot be fully absorbed when you're also covering other aspects of American History. People who major in African American studies and history don't even know the half of it. So keep everything diverse and as evenly covered as possible in social studies and we wouldn't have this problem. Sure, there may have been good reason to have a black history month back in the early 20th but it's become more of a tradition than anything. This isn't anyone elses problem but blacks anymore.

Lojasmo thinks i'm thinkng differently than Freeman because it's in his nature to automatically assume i'm some type of bigot... someone that views the glass as half-empty in this case.

Last edited by Salty; 12-20-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:06 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Yeah, I figured it was just the way you had written your response that it sounded at odds with Freeman's comment. Sounds like we all pretty much agree; bringing focus to any particular race causes more problems than it solves, but if no particular attention is paid then primary education must cover the history and involvment of minority groups in America with equall weight (after all, every period in American history is basically the story of the immigrants from some part of the globe).
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by lojasmo
It seems to me that the subtext is the necessity for black history to be taught as part and parcel of American history.

Depending on where you get your history information from its easy to argue that it is being taught in part and parcel of American history. I've seen countless movies and documentaries documenting the struggle of African Americans. I believe that we are all clearly in the know about the wrong that has been done them. Popular artist document and broadcast the everyday lives, hopes, loves and struggles of African Americans. The plight of the Black Man is not invisible.

How many minority American subcultures in America can say that? There are a few mainstream American Subcultures that all Americans have had a high level of exposure to and have enjoyed high visibility in popular culture and the African American culture is at the very top along with the Latin Cultures. Isn't it more important to focus on America as a whole?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by deyes
Depending on where you get your history information from its easy to argue that it is being taught in part and parcel of American history. I've seen countless movies and documentaries documenting the struggle of African Americans.
I'm not speaking of movies and documentaries. I am speaking of a concerted effort to intigrate teaching of the strugles of the myriad of minority groups within the united states....into the gestalt of public education.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 PM

The old saying about the tv raising us is not far from the truth, now that has grown to include the internet as well. The average American probably spends more time in front of the TV in their life than at school I'd wager not to mention sitting in front of other screens like computer screens and movie screens.
I don't know of any schools that don't have an African American social studies course in CA. There are numerous student groups supporting their communities too. If that is not evidence of a concerted effort than I don't know what is. Minority groups have to do their part to teach others about their communities, and the Africans Americans are doing a great job of that. I think there is a point where you can take it too far, so far as separating your history from the history of the Larger America.

Last edited by deyes; 12-22-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:09 PM

If the curiculum was honest and fair, there would never have been a fight over any particular minority's history..

what I mean is...at what age did you realize that America destroyed an entire civilization in order to exist...when you were first taught about native americans, or later in your life.

That's just an example. The 'history' of our country as taught in public schools, is severly lacking in the darker parts of our history. To justify these selective history lessons is to preserve the racism and elistism that has caused our pinnacle of society to have fault.

The realization that America is fallible and in need of direction is neccesary to inform yourself as an objective individual; if you do not see this fact, then your opinion has already been voiced.

Last edited by MVWRX; 12-26-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:27 PM

what I mean is...at what age did you realize that America destroyed an entire civilization in order to exist...when you were first taught about naive americans, or later in your life.
Typo right?

If the curiculum was honest and fair, there would never have been a fight over any particular minority's history..

what I mean is...at what age did you realize that America destroyed an entire civilization in order to exist...when you were first taught about naive americans, or later in your life.

That's just an example. The 'history' of our country as taught in public schools, is severly lacking in the darker parts of our history. To justify these selective history lessons is to preserve the racism and elistism that has caused our pinnacle of society to have fault.

The realization that America is fallible and in need of direction is neccesary to inform yourself as an objective individual; if you do not see this fact, then your opinion has already been voiced.

If you were speaking to me directly let me quote myself from the intelligent design thread.

What passes for history in schools nowadays amounts to political indoctrination, an oversimplified, incomprehensive look at our nations past. I've heard over and over again from professors that much of what they do is reverse incorrect teachings that their students have previously been subjected to.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:28 PM

Typo right?

Yes, unfortunate typo

If you were speaking to me directly let me quote myself from the intelligent design thread.
I wasn't speaking to you, just saying that our education system teaches a very narrow minded version of American history.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
MVWRX,

Where did you get your jaded perspective? In school I learned that we did awful things to Indians, and nobody refutes that each act appeared morally reprehensible. Whether through the ideals of manifest destiny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_Destiny)
or whatever, the country you see today would not be as it is today had these actions not been done. Reservations are an acknowledgement of what was done, and I've actually been to and driven through many reservations. Have no fear, our education system teaches whites to feel guilty, and for all other races to resent whites for the sins of a few ancestors.

In saying "at what age did you realize that America destroyed an entire civilization in order to exist," that implies that somehow the greatness of our country is diminished by the details of its establishment, which is untrue. Show me another great country that has a history that wasn't paved with blood. All countries and borders in this world were paved with human death and suffering, so don't forget it. Peace is paid for with war.

what I mean is...at what age did you realize that America destroyed an entire civilization in order to exist...when you were first taught about native americans, or later in your life.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 12-27-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 AM

Uh...jaded...no. Look...this thread started with Mr. Freeman saying there shouldn't be just one 'black history month', but instead that our educational system needs to include black history in all of american history. Then a few of you in here read his comments to mean that our system already includes black history, but it really doesn't (that's part of what our man Morgan was saying...). All I was trying to do was set the record straight; if you think our educational system has already integrated immigrant history into american history, I believe you are mistaken.

Last edited by MVWRX; 12-27-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 AM

Uh...jaded...no. Look...this thread started with Mr. Freeman saying there shouldn't be just one 'black history month', but instead that our educational system needs to include black history in all of american history. Then a few of you in here read his comments to mean that our system already includes black history, but it really doesn't (that's part of what our man Morgan was saying...). All I was trying to do was set the record straight; if you think our educational system has already integrated immigrant history into american history, I believe you are mistaken.
+1 damn it.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Maybe I misinterpreted what you said, but I also think I was educated well in regard to blacks, slavery, and civil rights (within American History). What makes you think public schools aren't doing a good job of teaching American History? I had a great education, and only I am to blame if I didn't pay attention.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I agree as well, but I also believe were not yet at a point as a country, where we can ignore contributions made by our nubian countrymen.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by lojasmo
I agree. I think if Freeman was participating in this discussion, Salty, Oaf, and Hella would be getting a hard verbal *****slapping.

What do you mean with this statement?
Spell it out clearly for me, please, as I don't want to misunderstand/misinterpret anything you say.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Oaf
What do you mean with this statement?
Spell it out clearly for me, please, as I don't want to misunderstand/misinterpret anything you say.
I believe that Freeman's statements are being cherrypicked, and used out of context to make exactly the opposite argument that Freeman was making.

Quick Reply: Freeman: 'black history is American history’