Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Europe: Thy name is Cowardice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Europe: Thy name is Cowardice

EUROPE - THY NAME IS COWARDICE
(Commentary by Mathias Döpfner)
Matthias Döpfner, Chief Executive of German publisher Axel Springer AG, has
written a blistering attack in the daily WELT against the cowardice of
Europe in the face of the Islamic threat. Hartmut Lau translated the
article.

A few days ago Henryk M. Broder wrote in Welt am Sonntag, "Europe - your
family name is appeasement." It's a phrase you can't get out of your head
because it's so terribly true.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives as England and
France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated too long before they
noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not bound to agreements. Appeasement
stabilized communism in the Soviet Union and East Germany in that part of
Europe where inhuman, suppressive governments were glorified as the
ideologically correct alternative to all other possibilities.

Appeasement crippled Europe when genocide ran rampant in Kosovo and we
Europeans debated and debated until the Americans came in and did our work
for us. Rather than protecting democracy in the Middle East, European
appeasement, camouflaged behind the fuzzy word "equidistance," now
countenances suicide bombings in Israel by fundamentalist Palestinians.

Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore 300,000
victims of Saddam's torture and murder machinery and, motivated by the
self-righteousness of the peace-movement, to issue bad grades to George
Bush. A particularly grotesque form of appeasement is reacting to the
escalating violence by Islamic fundamentalists in Holland and elsewhere by
suggesting that we should really have a Muslim holiday in Germany.

What else has to happen before the European public and its political
leadership get it? There is a sort of crusade underway, an especially
perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks by fanatic Muslims,
focused on civilians and directed against our free, open Western societies.

It is a conflict that will most likely last longer than the great military
conflicts of the last century-a conflict conducted by an enemy that cannot
be tamed by tolerance and accommodation but only spurred on by such
gestures, which will be mistaken for signs of weakness.

Two recent American presidents had the courage needed for anti-appeasement:
Reagan and Bush. Reagan ended the Cold War and Bush, supported only by the
social democrat Blair acting on moral conviction, recognized the danger in
the Islamic fight against democracy. His place in history will have to be
evaluated after a number of years have passed.
In the meantime, Europe sits back with charismatic self-confidence in the
multicultural corner instead of defending liberal society's values and being
an attractive center of power on the same playing field as the true great
powers, America and China.

On the contrary-we Europeans present ourselves, in contrast to the
intolerant, as world champions in tolerance, which even (Germany's Interior
Minister) Otto Schily justifiably criticizes. Why? Because we're so moral? I
fear it's more because we're so materialistic.
For his policies, Bush risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts of
additional national debt and a massive and persistent burden on the American
economy-because everything is at stake. While the alleged capitalistic
robber barons in American know their priorities, we timidly defend our
social welfare systems. Stay out of it! It could get expensive. We'd rather
discuss the 35-hour workweek or our dental health plan coverage. Or listen
to TV pastors preach about "reaching out to murderers." These days, Europe
reminds me of an elderly aunt who hides her last pieces of jewelry with
shaking hands when she notices a robber has broken into a neighbor's house.
Europe, thy name is cowardice.
http://www.welt.de/data/2004/11/20/3...r&searchHILI=1

Whatcha think?

Last edited by IS2Scooby; 12-20-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:35 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
I think he hit that nail squarely on the head.

I hate to point out that there are over 40 active conflicts around the world today and they have one thing in common. Islamic extremists. To name a few high profile conflicts. Chechnya, Bosnia, afghanistan, Abu Sayyaf in the PI, Indonesia, southern Thailand, the Pakistan/India border region. They involve almost every type of society and religion in the world; The "West", Russians, Asians, Catholics, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists; Yet they have one common denominator, Muslim uprising. What people are failing to see is that history is repeating itself. We are all taught in grade school that the Crusades spanned hundred of years and that they ended a long time ago. But did they end for everybody or just the west? Why do we always hear the words "infidels", "crusaders" utilized over and over again on Al Jazzeera and other media, the same religious terms used hundreds of years ago during the crusades. Whether we want it, or not, a religious war is being brought to us. Now I'm not a religious person at all, but I think people need to open their eyes to world events and stop worrying just about the little things here at home. There are a lot of people who would not only love to see more Americans and Europeans and even Asians dead on TV and they are working on plans to make it happen, and that is no Bull****. I'm sure the Europeans have it right, if we continue to look away or give concessions it will go away.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:43 PM

I'll make this short since I decide to stay out of the PP forums after writing a 7 page reply to one of the threads. Then noticing that it was a waste of time and just deleting it off word and not replying there anymore. Anyways what I'm wondering is why after 9/11 is this becoming a big issue? I have several muslim friends and not ONE has ever tried to make me a muslim. While I can not say that is true about some Christian friends I have. Do not catogorize a faith, and say that all of that faith want something to happen. It is simply not true. And is leading down the same path that Hitler used on the Jews.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Pr0n King

Heavy.

These days, Europe
reminds me of an elderly aunt who hides her last pieces of jewelry with
shaking hands when she notices a robber has broken into a neighbor's house.
Europe, thy name is cowardice.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Pr0n King

Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'll make this short since I decide to stay out of the PP forums after writing a 7 page reply to one of the threads. Then noticing that it was a waste of time and just deleting it off word and not replying there anymore. Anyways what I'm wondering is why after 9/11 is this becoming a big issue? I have several muslim friends and not ONE has ever tried to make me a muslim. While I can not say that is true about some Christian friends I have. Do not catogorize a faith, and say that all of that faith want something to happen. It is simply not true. And is leading down the same path that Hitler used on the Jews.
I don't think this has anything to do with Muslims trying to convert anyone to their faith as much as it does eliminating people who are not already of it.

There is a sort of crusade underway, an especially
perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks by fanatic Muslims,
focused on civilians and directed against our free, open Western societies.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:47 PM

Oh and to add to this. I lived in Germany and Spain for over 10 years. I still visit Spain frequently. And people from the middle east have been treated badly by them since I lived there. Europeans, sad to say it, are racist against them. The present mentality is just being "justified" by articles like this and others.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:50 PM

But thats my point, its not true. None of the people I know wanted to take me out because of my beliefs being different than them. Im sure in all major religions there are fanatics. Muslims are just taking the blunt right now, because honestly our dealings with Iraq, and terrorist activities. Articles like this are unifing all Muslims as extremist who will kill you if you are of a different belief than them. And sadly thats far from the truth. I really wonder sometimes how many Muslims people know that talk like this. How many of them have friends that are Muslims?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'm not trying to lay a blanket statement that since Joe is bad and Jim is bad that all Joes and Jims are bad. And you are right not all Muslims are bad. But you keep thinking that Islamic Fundamentalism doesn't exist and it won't ever affect you whether you want it or not and I'll tell you that ignorance is bliss and you are a happy fool.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Pr0n King

I am not grouping together individuals, but I am accepting the existence of organizations of people that have a common belief/agenda.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Pr0n King

*moved to politics forum*
Old 12-20-2004, 02:59 PM

Of course Islamic Fundamentalism exits, but that isn't the MAJORITY. Which this article is trying to portray. And I strongly disagree with, since ALL religions have fundamental groups, and if you think that it won't affect you... Get my drift this isn't about oh poor Europe is being taken over by the Muslim extreemist this is more along the lines of racism against a culture and a people. When I lived there I saw and experienced this first hand, because of my older brother looking like one. (Ie a muslim) And I remember the treatment he got since we moved to Germany at the age of 5. On top of that we didn't go to Iraq for what this article claims. We went as Powell said to the UN for taking out weapons of mass destructions and terrorist. (Even though no connection has ever been found between 9/11 and Saddam.) So again this article is wrong.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:07 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

You are stating the obvious. Of course its not a majority, but it is prevalent enough to warrant concern and action. You are absolutely right not all muslims are out to get us. I was just in the middle east about a month ago and millions of muslims could care less of my background, but enough extremists exist that I had to watch what I did very carefully. The argument is not aimed to destroy all muslims, but to open your eyes to world events. This has been going on long before 9/11. Also, notice I didn't mention Iraq as a muslim uprising, I actually don't agree with our rationale for going into Iraq, but I am for fighting against Muslim extremism because I see it as a threat to my existence.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Pr0n King

This has been going on long before 9/11. Also, notice I didn't mention Iraq as a muslim uprising, I actually don't agree with our rationale for going into Iraq, but I am for fighting against Muslim extremism because I see it as a threat to my existence.
Quoted in agreement.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by IS2Scooby
http://www.welt.de/data/2004/11/20/3...r&searchHILI=1
Two recent American presidents had the courage needed for anti-appeasement:
Reagan and Bush. Reagan ended the Cold War and Bush, supported only by the
social democrat Blair acting on moral conviction, recognized the danger in
the Islamic fight against democracy.

Thats what i was alluding too, what the article was stating. And what I disagreed with. And by you admiting that they are not the majoirty which is what this article states, you agree with me that its out in left field? Articles like this are trying to scare people against muslims as a whole, and since we are discussing it, all I was saying is that no its wrong. And he didn't hit it on the head. While I do think any extreemist should be taken care of I do not agree that we are doing the right steps to stop them. Actually I think we are doing the opposite but creating more of them.

Originally Posted by Rexstang
I was just in the middle east about a month ago and millions of muslims could care less of my background, but enough extremists exist that I had to watch what I did very carefully.
First thanks for servering several of my friends are there right now. (If by middle east you ment Iraq.) But I wouldn't call them extremist but actually people just fighting back against occupiers. And that type of generalization is not right in my oppinion and I believe a lot of people make the sameone because of articles like this. And thats why I think this article is wrong.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Not too sure what servering means? Do you mean serving in the military or do you mean severing as in tearing apart? Needless to say this topic is going no where, your mind is obviously canted too far to the left to see straight. I'm sorry your moral high ground prevents you from clearly recognizing geo-political events outside the sphere of your televised world. But unfortunately I'm not living in your mental utopia. And I'm not one to stand around while 2 out of 10 extremist plans the demise of what I hold dear. My take is that if the majority of muslims don't think this way, then they not us should do something about it. Tolerance of these actions are in a way, a form of acceptance and credibility. Which in turn creates a foundation of support for said actions. And since the Muslim world won't hold these terrorists accountable then we will.

Quick Reply: Europe: Thy name is Cowardice