Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Diversity gone awry- Whites under-represented in higher learning

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MVWRX
There's no affirmative action any more, people are accepted and rejected based on qualifications. And there is a lot of luck involved, because as you pointed out, so many people apply for so few slots. I know that whites are not discriminated against when applying to colleges. In fact, I don't know a single white person who has been rejected from a school they wanted to go to.

The fact that you don't have to give any race on any application is testament to the fact that you are just paranoid about this. If they were going to discriminate, don't you think they'd require the race box be checked?
Edit: that stat for Stanford does surprise me a little bit.
Stanford and all the big-name schools. If one adopted white and one adopted black from the same family, which kid is going to have the opportunity to rise to the top?

Schools have taken on the charter of diversity so they all look like they are helping minorities, not because of any federal mandate. Notice how the stats of all the schools are similar? When you have a limited class size, and only 100 seats for whites, white people are rejected solely based on the color of their skin!

"Sorry white folk. Your lives are on hold! Hollah!!!!! Can I get a whoo whoooooo?"
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM

I'm done arguing this for today though. I appreciate that you feel discriminated against, and I'm sorry you feel that way. My advice is to be good enough where you're not 'on the bubble' to get in and it won't matter.
Oh, I will get in because I'm willing to work as hard as it takes. See you in the court room ***** *******!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:56 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Oh, I will get in because I'm willing to work as hard as it takes. See you in the court room ***** *******!

Good luck. However I will never personally choose to be in any courtroom for any reason, so I won't see you there.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:02 PM

When you have a limited class size, and only 100 seats for whites, white people are rejected solely based on the color of their skin!

I don't know anyone who does admissions for anything except science and engineering, so I can't say for any fields but those, but I do know several people (one of whom is my father) that do admissions for science and engineering. None of them have/use quotas for race. They try as hard as possible to evaluate using only the qualifications of the applicant.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:04 PM

Another point I hadn't thought about that this discussion brings to mind. I'm not sure if you should compare the #s to the %s of the US population; since the US is the #1 country for graduate and professional education, we should be comparing the stats to the %s for the whole world (since we educate a large percentage of the educationally elite that return to other countries).
Old 01-27-2006, 04:49 PM

Another point I hadn't thought about that this discussion brings to mind. I'm not sure if you should compare the #s to the %s of the US population; since the US is the #1 country for graduate and professional education, we should be comparing the stats to the %s for the whole world (since we educate a large percentage of the educationally elite that return to other countries).
True if you are talking about graduate and post-graduate work accross the board, but law school for the most part prepares students to take local State Bar exams, in order to practice law in this country.

Law school demographic data most clearly backs up what I've said, that whites are being left behind.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:18 PM

True if you are talking about graduate and post-graduate work accross the board, but law school for the most part prepares students to take local State Bar exams, in order to practice law in this country.

Law school demographic data most clearly backs up what I've said, that whites are being left behind.

Not really. They teach you law not just that States law. If anything they give you a broad education. A friend of mine that graduates this year goes to school in Dallas. (Forgot which one.) She went to work in Oklahoma during a summer break. Friends of hers have gone all over. Whites are not being "left behind". But I don't feel the need to argue with it with you.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:00 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Stanford and all the big-name schools. If one adopted white and one adopted black from the same family, which kid is going to have the opportunity to rise to the top?
The most qualified one, I should think....I propose that's why you're actually pissed off...there are people of color out there who are smarter than you.

Originally Posted by PBS
On November 5, 54 percent of the electorate voted yes on Proposition 209 - a ballot initiative banning all affirmative action in government employment and public education - affirming the governor's earlier efforts to end racial preferences in the UC system. The American Civil Liberties Union challenged 209, but the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the law in April, 1997. The U.S. Supreme Court later declined to hear the ACLU's appeal.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...e/summary.html

Yup...no affirmative action at California public universities....and good luck suing a private university on this issue.

Originally Posted by hella
Schools have taken on the charter of diversity so they all look like they are helping minorities, not because of any federal mandate. Notice how the stats of all the schools are similar? When you have a limited class size, and only 100 seats for whites, white people are rejected solely based on the color of their skin!
Bullshyte.

I'm gonna sue
Aren't you one of those bizniches always whining and complaining about the cost of unnecessary litigation?

No. You haven't proven that whites are applying to law schools in a disapportionately lesser number than are being admitted...relative to persons of color.

Last edited by lojasmo; 01-28-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:47 AM

Lojas and Mv, you guys are blind.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 AM

Lojas and Mv, you guys are blind.
I get irritated by people of a priveleged class or race whining about deserving more than they earn.

You have provided absolutely no evidence that your level of aptitude merits more reward than you have been provided. As far as I'm concerned, you have NOTHING to complain about.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Yet another thread I've read about 2 statements from and then stopped.

Hella, you know I think you're a bigot based soley on the trend of your posts.

Originally Posted by Hella sometime in the future
No I'm not...
Yeah, ok. I am, but....
gpatmac you're a....
Why are you so concerned with race? Are there times when you can point to where you were personally hurt by others who aren't of your race? Do other races scare you? Do you feel you're better than an entire group of people? What is it about you that makes you better or at least different in a way that you should receive different treatment. Or do you feel that those who've been legally granted the ability to receive different treatment not available to yourself really shouldn't be granted that legal protection?

What are you doing about it besides posting on such a narrow media such as the political portion of an import car enthusiasts website? Are you complaining to your parents? Have you sought counsel from your pastor? Have you sought support from your city councilman? Have you formed a lobby group or at least sought out a like-minded-to-yourself lobby? Have you organized rallies? Sought out signatures for your petition? Organized a militia to conduct your coup?

I know that this forum is designed for idle chit-chat, but I think you've got issues.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:52 PM

http://www.utexas.edu/opa/pubs/oncam...nrollment.html

Lets compare shall we?

Originally Posted by University of Texas at Austin
New graduate student enrollment was slightly lower this fall at 3,050, a decrease of about 1.3 percent. Hispanic student enrollment increased to 206 (up 16 or 8.4 percent), while the number of entering African American graduate students decreased to 54 (down by 22 students or 28.9 percent) and Asian American enrollment dropped to 150 (down 17 or 10.2 percent). This fall’s entering law class enrolled one more African American student than in fall 2000 (up to 18 students), and eight more Asian American students (up to 32 students).
A total of 3,050 graduate students at UT.

206 Hispanics
150 Asians
54 African American's

Do a little math and you come out with 410 none white students in UT grad school. That leaves us with a grand total of 2640 white grad students at UT.

~87% of the graduate students at UT are white. That leaves ~13% to be none white in grad school. Now granted they could of not included a group in those numbers that they had up. But even then I really really doubt it would be a larger number than Hispanics. So I must be missing something or you are just a bitter person with no facts to back up a thing you say. This is at a PUBLIC University that is cheap compared to other private schools. (Tuition is around 4 to 5 thousand a semester, I believe now.) Hence more minorities that are poor can afford to go there. And if you look at undergraduate enrollement numbers you'll see whites still are the overwhelming majority.

Originally Posted by University of Texas at Austin
University-wide enrollment increased for the following racial/ethnic groups: African American, to 1,606 (from 1,582 in fall 2000); Asian American, 6,700 (6,236); Hispanic, 6,088 (5,920). Enrollment decreased for white students to 31,049 (from 31,368) and American Indian students to 203 (229).
Percent wise it falls as follows.

A total of 45,646 undergraduate students at UT.
Whites lead the pack at ~68%
Asian Americans follow with ~15%
Hispanics are at ~13%
African Americans at ~4%
American Indian at ~4%

Now maybe im just blind, but it seems to me that again Whites are the overwhelming group at UT. The closet group are Asian Americans that are at 15% but that number is very biased since a large part of that group are international students. Again this is at a public university. The largest one in Texas and my alma mattar. Granted this is just one example but I can almost guarantee that it is the trend not the exception to the rule.

Talk about being a disgruntled white male.

Last edited by Unregistered; 01-28-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
you are just a bitter person with no facts to back up a thing you say.
Yup.
Originally Posted by unregistered
Talk about being a disgruntled white male.
exactly. Given that California has eliminated affirmative action in public universities...I, in Minnesota am at a significantly greater disadvantage. I am not worried, however. I know that, because of my skills and work history, along with my test scores, will be able to enter graduate school without difficulty.

you won't hear me *****ing about affirmative action.

Last edited by lojasmo; 01-28-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Hella, you know I think you're a bigot based soley on the trend of your posts.

Why are you so concerned with race? Are there times when you can point to where you were personally hurt by others who aren't of your race? Do other races scare you? Do you feel you're better than an entire group of people? What is it about you that makes you better or at least different in a way that you should receive different treatment. Or do you feel that those who've been legally granted the ability to receive different treatment not available to yourself really shouldn't be granted that legal protection?
Look you ignoramus,

Bigot is defined as "one who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ."

I think everyone should have the EXACT SAME OPPORTUNITY. No handouts or limits on a group, and no dumbing down entry criteria in the name of diversity!
My wife and kids are Asian, so call me a racist if you like.

"Diversity" feeds Bigotry.
Look at all of the sanctioned SCHOOL clubs based solely on a particular race or religion. Yeah... argue that they aren't "partial to one's own group, religion, race, or political group, or that they don't exclude other that differ." Are you going to say the fixation with "how many people from each race" is my fault and I'm a bigot for evaluating LAW SCHOOL DEMOGRAPHICS! Yeah, you're for the double-standard that says ALL whites already have inside connections, so they can't have a "white club." FU YOU ARE THE RACIST

Last edited by HellaDumb; 01-29-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
exactly. Given that California has eliminated affirmative action in public universities...I, in Minnesota am at a significantly greater disadvantage. I am not worried, however. I know that, because of my skills and work history, along with my test scores, will be able to enter graduate school without difficulty.
you won't hear me *****ing about affirmative action.
Just like all large US based Corporations, most schools have their own individual diversity programs. Man, wake up.

Quick Reply: Diversity gone awry- Whites under-represented in higher learning