Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Democrats: Health care is a right

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I think a better solution for our current system is: include nutritional education in grades K-12. Not just as a one-off class, either -- make it a required major course every few years.
Better education as a whole could mitigate several problems. However there will always be a faction of people that just can't be reached.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Better education as a whole could mitigate several problems. However there will always be a faction of people that just can't be reached.
And they should be allowed to die off.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I think that is what a lot of people are thinking, but are afraid to say. People have to get over the fact that not everyone will, or even should, to make it in this country.
________
Gay muscle

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Mayo Clinic calls House plan bad medicine

Minnesota's not-for-profit Mayo Clinic, which Mr. Obama has repeatedly hailed as offering top quality care at affordable costs, blasted the House Democrats' version of the health care plan as lawmakers continue to grapple with several bills from each chamber and multiple committees.

The Mayo Clinic said there are some positive elements of the bill, but overall "the proposed legislation misses the opportunity to help create higher quality, more affordable health care for patients."

"In fact, it will do the opposite," clinic officials said, because the proposals aren't [R]patient-focused or results-oriented. "The real losers will be the citizens of the United States."
Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Elitist.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Elitist.
Poor health knows no limit, socioeconomically speaking.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Ask Canada and Britain about how awesome and SUPER SHORT their lines are

/sarcasm
Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Ask Canada and Britain about how awesome and SUPER SHORT their lines are

/sarcasm
You keep saying things like that, but out of all the Canadians, Britons and French people that I know, every single one of them absolutely loves their health care.

Now, is that evidence that you're wrong? Not really, but no health care system will make everyone happy.

I do however think you're being hyperbolic and repeating talking points.

And just to be clear: I'm against any health care system run by our government. But I also happen to be against bull****.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 07-22-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Car Info: Nadda
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4157

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-Europe.html

This video is an investigation on Canadian health care

http://www.pjtv.com/video/Louder_Wit...etter%3F/2153/

There is plenty more information on the net about why this is not good.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Those are interesting. You cite them as examples of poor health care due to socialized medicine, but check out this chart from the article:

On that chart there are 21 countries. Would you like to know how many of those countries have socialized medicine?

Only 2 countries on that list do not have a form of socialized health care: the United States and Malta.

In other words, those articles aren't evidence of socialized medicine being a failure, they show that England's health care is bad. And not ALL of Great Britain, either -- take note that Ireland, Scotland, North Ireland and Wales all made the list.

This video is an investigation on Canadian health care

http://www.pjtv.com/video/Louder_Wit...etter%3F/2153/
I'll have to watch that video later.

There is plenty more information on the net about why this is not good.
Well, be sure to let Europe know, because almost every country in Europe has a form of socialized health care.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 07-22-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
You keep saying things like that, but out of all the Canadians, Britons and French people that I know, every single one of them absolutely loves their health care.
until they get cancer.... then they come here for treatment
Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM
plays well with others

not completely true. the well off have more time for recreational exercise, more money for ancillary health choices (better food, etc), and are typically farther from environmental variables (diesel particulate, sewage, etc).

id bet the well off wash their hands more often than the very poor/homeless, which has been shown time and again to lower rate of illness substantially.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

Well, be sure to let Europe know, because almost every country in Europe has a form of socialized health care.

Yeah... I used to live in the UK, only went to a Dr. once (in the town of Studley) but I was immediately seen and taken care of quite nicely. Very minor - just a cold/flu and this was ~9 yrs ago. However my inlaws and much of my family live in Sweden and the UK. My mother-in-law slipped and broke her ankle on the way to the airport to come to our wedding in Scotland. She showed up in Scotland 2hrs late with a cast, crutches and "feeling fine." I have never heard one complaint about healthcare in the Stockholm area from the 8 people I asked who have lived there all their lives. A cousin is 8mos pregnant in the UK, I will have to ask her what her views are on how she has been treated since we haven't heard anything.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by irrational x
until they get cancer.... then they come here for treatment
Hmmm I will have to check with our fam since my wife's aunt recently passed away due to cancer (in southern Sweden). I don't know where she had her treatment, would be interesting to know.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Hmmm I will have to check with our fam since my wife's aunt recently passed away due to cancer (in southern Sweden). I don't know where she had her treatment, would be interesting to know.
dont listen to me...

Originally Posted by Buffalo News
Universal health care: Is it worth the long waits?
Push is on for private insurance in Canada as residents come to the U.S. for timely treatment

Canadian Lindsay McCreith came to Buffalo for an MRI after being told he would have to wait over four months for one at home. After battling brain cancer, Lindsay McCreith is ready for his next fight: He’s taking on the Canadian health care system.

His case has potential repercussions on both sides of the border as pressure grows for health reform.

It started when McCreith, a resident of Newmarket, north of Toronto, suffered a seizure last year. He was told in Canada he would have to wait more than four months for an MRI to rule out a malignant tumor.

Rather than wait, McCreith, 66, quickly arranged a trip to Buffalo for a scan. The MRI confirmed his worst fears — a cancerous growth that a Buffalo neurosurgeon removed a few weeks later.

“If I had been patient, I’d probably be disabled or dead today,” McCreith said.

Now, McCreith is suing the Ontario government in a closely watched constitutional challenge that could reshape universal health coverage in the province by striking down the prohibition against patients buying private insurance.

On this side of the border, advocates of universal health insurance champion Canada’s popular public program as a fairer system that the United States should emulate, as seen in Michael Moore film, “Sicko.” Yet critics see the long waits for some services in Canada — mainly for non-emergency surgery — as an argument against an increased role for government in health care.

In Canada, McCreith’s story reflects a debate, intensified by the long waiting times, between those who want more for-profit, private care and those who fear the rise of two-tier medicine that undermines the public system.

McCreith offers little doubt about where he stands. “We have universal health coverage,” he said. “But it failed me when I needed it the most.”

“I was in the auto body shop business,” he said. “If I gave you an appointment four months away, you would go somewhere else. Why should health care be any different?”

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/129344

Quick Reply: Democrats: Health care is a right