Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Carter rips Miller on convention speech

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by ftnssn
They feel that we should do whatever it takes to pacify the rest of the world and make other countries feel good about themselves. They feel that we shouldn't ever wield our own power independent of the rest of the world
Yeah, cooperating with your neighbors sucks.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by psoper
Does the US make the greatest all wheel drive sports cars in the world? no.
Where do you think the Legacy GT is made, beyoch?! ( )

Does the US allow the most personal freedom? no.
What country does?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
OK I apologize for the moron comment, but I do have a deep lothing of blind nationalism, and an inherent distrust of those that engage in it, and comments like you made about President Carter not subscribing to that very thing- makes me think that maybe you do.

And if you really do, than I'll stand by my labelling, as I really don't think that a rational, intelligent, thinking person can fully and without exception believe that America is the "greatest nation on earth".

You yourself did add the "despite its flaws" qualifier.

My point is that as along as we acknowledge flaws, there is room for improvement and the title of "greatest nation on earth" has no real meaning.

In fact the very notion of one nation being greater than any other only has meaning when such nations are being discussed in a specific context.

Does the US make the greatest all wheel drive sports cars in the world? no.
Does the US have the largest population in the world? no.
Does the US have the fastest growing economy in the world? no.
Does the US allow the most personal freedom? no.
Does the US have the most technologically advanced military? , yes it sure does.
Does the US have a military that can rule the world?, I don't think so.

What does the greatest nation on earth mean to you?

wow, i'm so touched by your kinda sorta not really at all retraction of calling me a bastard. Way to pose a bunch of questions that mean nothing at all standing by themselves. If you can give me an answer for each of those questions in regard to who does all those things than I'll give you some credence. The only real question I have for you is if you think there's somewhere better, that why don't you move there?

I'm not even going to bother explaining what America means to me because you'll probably(notice I said probably, I didn't automatically assume that you would) just dismiss it out of hand as jingoism.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:31 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Oaf
Where do you think the Legacy GT is made, beyoch?! ( )

A Japanese design thats assembled in Indiana, and a nice car but hardly a sports car-
but the Porsche Carerra GT is German as are several lesser models from them and a handful from Audi that would hand the legacy its luch in just about any catagory.
The Italians have also been known to make some pretty bad assed AWD rides as well, Lambo anyone?

Originally Posted by Oaf
What country does?
Most of the people that study comparative freedom in terms of civil rights and political freedom rank all of these countries higher than the USA:

ANDORRA
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
CANADA
DENMARK
FINLAND
ICELAND
LIECHTENSTEIN
LUXEMBOURG
MARSHALL
NETHERLANDS
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
PORTUGAL
SAN MARINO
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND

The US is generally listed in the second tier, along with

AUSTRALIA
BARBADOS
BELIZE
COSTA RICA
CZECH REP
ESTONIA
FRANCE
GERMANY
GREECE
HUNGARY
IRELAND
ITALY
JAPAN
LATVIA
LITHUANIA
MALTA
MONACO
PALAU
POLAND
SAINT
SLOVENIA
SPAIN
TUVALU
UNITED KINGDOM

Now those account for the top 40 when considering the 63 or so "free countries" there are 130+ that aren't considered "Free", so we're doing pretty good, but there's room for improvement here, and our ranking has dropped by most accounts over the last 4 years.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:48 PM

wow, i'm so touched by your kinda sorta not really at all retraction of calling me a bastard.

No, again you are wrong- a moron is not a bastard, a moron is someone who is incapable of reasoning or thinking for themselves, a bastard is someone who was born from parents who aren't married.

Way to pose a bunch of questions that mean nothing at all standing by themselves.
Glad to see that you recognized that, but....

If you can give me an answer for each of those questions in regard to who does all those things than I'll give you some credence.
I didn't actually say that meeting those criteia would qualify one as the "greatest nation", so you did fall for it after all, sorry.....

The only real question I have for you is if you think there's somewhere better, that why don't you move there?
I am an american citizen by birthright, between that, economic factors and having family and a good job here, I would consider it too inconvenient to go through the hassle of applying for citizenship or relocating to another country- especially for a reason as silly as it "isn't the greatest country in the world".

On the other hand, if it comes to what I expect from another 4 years of republican proto-fascism I may very well choose to move out of this country, I can only hope that I'll still have such an option.

I'm not even going to bother explaining what America means to me because you'll probably(notice I said probably, I didn't automatically assume that you would) just dismiss it out of hand as jingoism.
What America means to you, isn't the same as why you think its the "greatest country in the world".

Seriously, I have no beef with your pride and some degree of nationalism, but once it gets into "greatest country in the world" rhetoric, we have stepped off the train of logical discourse and into what I would most certainly call jingoistic rhetoric.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

ANDORRA-68504
AUSTRIA-8147010
BELGIUM-10307027
CANADA-31802048
DENMARK-5381173
FINLAND-5190671
ICELAND-291647
LIECHTENSTEIN-32879
LUXEMBOURG-446135
MARSHALL-59738
NETHERLANDS-16108093
NEW ZEALAND-3916097
NORWAY-4548501
PORTUGAL-10422672
SAN MARINO-27275
SWEDEN-8924000
SWITZERLAND-7327937

Every country you named is only a fraction the size of the United States, think that might have anything to do with it?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:28 PM

All the more reason to fight for small, local, government instead of the enormous centralized government the Bush/Kerry types keep building.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:02 PM

Thank you Funked1.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:43 PM
VIP Member

I don't disagree with that.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by FUNKED1
All the more reason to fight for small, local, government instead of the enormous centralized government the Bush/Kerry types keep building.
YES!

Locals are more in touch with local issues. The federal government is ineffective in dealing with local issues, and unfairly redistributes tax revenue from one geographic area to another. Local power would revitalize democracy, imho.