Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

WRX Wagon Strut Disassembly/Reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 06:59 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
WRX Wagon Strut Disassembly/Reassembly

I'm about to change out the blown rear struts on my '02 WRX Wagon (replacing with OEM). Looking at the service manual, it calls for the use of a special tool to hold the piston rod from turning as the strut top nut is removed/replaced. My question is: Is this tool necessary, or can it be done with standard hand tools?

TIA
Old 11-09-2003, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 2006 Spec.B
I think its a 6mm allen. I basically used a 16mm? socket, put the allen through the top of it, and used vice grips to hold the socket. I don't know if they make a special tool just to this, but it worked for me.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:40 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Looks like all those old hex keys I bought back in my Rabbit GTi days will finally get used. Just slap that into the allen socket and twist with vise grips. Should be easy.

Here's the next question. The shop manual says that the nuts holding the strut on the car and the piston rod nut are to be replaced once removed. Both local dealers I called were unaware of this little requirement, and also have none of these in stock. So, I'm assuming that reusing the nuts shouldn't be a big problem??