Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

wrx understeer

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:37 PM

Car Info: white protege5
wrx understeer

how bad is the understeer on a wrx?
Old 12-14-2003, 09:06 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
depends how you drive, the car can act however you want it to. it naturally has understeer, but if driven correctly that understeer can easily be eliminated and the car becomes much more neutral, plus a couple small suspension mods can easily change it as well
Old 12-14-2003, 11:05 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
more than i'd like -- still. i guess it depends on what you're used to. coming from rear wheel drive cars, and 4wd cars with a tendecy to oversteer, it seems like a lot. mine understeers a lot less than stock though.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:46 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
left foot break :P
Old 12-15-2003, 12:01 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Coming from a RWD car it has a ISHLOAD of understeer. You will have to learn how to drive again. I got myself in trouble a few times when I first got the car because I was not used to natural understeer. It is easily corrected though. For example there is a tight 90 degree left hand turn on one of the twisty roads I frequent. When I first got the car I went in too hot and understeered horribly and had to save myself with the brake (not a pretty corner at all). But now after having had the car for a couple months I know when to lift my foot off the throttle to float perfectly into the corner in a nice 4 wheel drift then when to get back on it and blast out. I was cursing the car's understeer at first but after you adapt your driving style it really can behave in a really neutral manner. I am planning some stiffening of the rear end which should help even more. Oh one more thing. Tire pressure seems to make quite a difference. If you run a higher pressure in the front it seems to get more bite and behave more neutral. I used to run higher in the rear because I stupidly had it backwards and this was just making the car understeer even more! So the bottom line, with some adaptation of driving style and minor suspension tinkering it is wonderfully neutral and I can imagine even lean towards oversteer.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:42 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by roywhitep5
how bad is the understeer on a wrx?
Hmm, this could have been posted in the Suspension forum, but okay...

The addition of an adjustable rear anti-sway bar can can make an otherwise stock WRX much more neutral. It won't ever be the same as a rear-driver, though. IMO, that's a good thing.

Are you thinking of buying a WRX?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-15-2003, 09:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Different tires over stock make a world of difference too.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:20 AM

Car Info: white protege5
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder

Are you thinking of buying a WRX?

--
0==WW==0
"Exles of evilEquot; - george w. bush
nah. my protege5 is too much fun to give up. i've just heard horror stories about the wrx having terrible understeer and wanted to hear what it was like from wrx owners.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
OT - It's not as bad as people make it out to be. IMO, the WRX is the master of nothing but does a lot of things quite well. I've had cars that were a lot quicker in a straight line but the WRX can put the power down in slick conditions and that's something that's rarely tested in passenger cars. It isn't the fastest thing at autocrosses but there are a number that do pretty well, at least in my area.

I bought it because I needed a daily driver that can also get me through the snow and ice on the way to Lake Tahoe and Reno during the winter, without having to stop to put chains on.

It's no race car but sort of a jack-of-all-trades, just like the WRC rally cars.

Have a great day!

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
I consided modding my suspension too, both front and back. I changed my mind though when I found out a stiffer suspension would ruin the WRX's excellent cornering traction in the rain. Any comments on this from folks who have stiffened their suspensions?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:17 PM

actually suspension work isn't going to ruin your wet weather traction as long as you're sensible about it. my car is very quick, very driveable, and very predictable in the rain. i've got STi Spec-C RA springs and struts, and they've helped the wet weather traction -- even when i had the RE92s on.

You will have to learn how to drive again
actually, i do just fine. :P
Old 12-16-2003, 01:18 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
My car handles so well it scares me....scares other people even more
...and I 'aint done with it, yet
Old 12-16-2003, 01:23 PM

scares other people even more
...and I 'aint done with it, yet
w00t! i took a friend for a ride a couple of days ago, and she was scared at how much grip the car had, and how well it cornered. there are few things that give you the satisfaction of hearing your passengers gasp in fear, and then giggle realizing that you're not even pushing it.

are cars ever done?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by sonicsuby
Different tires over stock make a world of difference too.
I completely agree.

Quick Reply: wrx understeer