Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

WRX alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Question WRX alignment specs

I just got the alignment done, but the specs the shop used ranged more than i expected. Could someone list the factory min & max specs for 02 WRX?
This is the specs used:

Front
camber: -0.9 ~ 0.1 -- now at -0.8 (L) and 0.0 (R)
toe: -0.15 ~ 0.15 -- now 0 & 0

Rear
camber: -1.9 ~ -0.4 -- now -1.1 (L) and -4.7 (R) (WTH?)
toe: -0.15 ~ 0.15 -- now -0.05 (L) and -0.15 (R)

the shop insisted that I need a camber kit in the rear right to correct the camber. does this sound right?
Old 12-27-2002, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
The camber on your car is really off. I know that you do not need a camber kit to adjust the front camber. My alignment shop is able to adjust the front camber to the setting that I like.

For the rear, I doubt that if had the stock mounts, that you could have that much negative camber.

Here is the settings that I have on my car:
Front:
Camber: -0.8 Left and Right (stock is something like -0.3)
Toe: 0.0

Rear:
Camber: -1.3 Left and Right (stock)
Toe: 0.0

I would have to say that you definitely need to find a better alignment shop.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:17 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Okay, my first guess would be that you have a bent right rear shock. Rear camber is not adjustable with the stock strut tops without camber bolts. Camber bolts will give you no more than 1 degree of adjustability.

It has been my experience that the first thing to bend in the rear suspension is the lower strut body mount. It takes a pretty good size hit to bend them but it's definitely possible. The one thing that is odd about your setup is that only 1 wheel sustained damage. Can you remember any reason why just THAT wheel would be out of spec?

Here are the factory specs (where 1 degree = 1*):

Front Toe: -0.13* to 0.13*
Front Camber: -1.1* to 0.4*
Rear Toe: -0.13* to 0.13*
Rear Camber: -2.1* to -0.6*
Old 12-28-2002, 05:26 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
John,

You might recall this topic was discussed in this thread https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3489 recently, and I said

PS - Don't pay for the alignment if the numbers are garbage. That's why the print-out is important. I've seen a number of threads on this board (well, on the original board ) where guys got hosed on their alignments.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...light=alignment and
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...light=alignment are a couple good examples.
If you paid for that alignment, you just got added to the list of people who got hosed on their alignment. They didn't match the camber up front, which makes me wonder if they knew how to properly adjust. There is no way I would ever pay for an alignment if they tried to send me on my way with 0* camber up front - that is unsat on a McPherson strut car.

And the rear... Holy cow, I don't even know what to say! Do you have camber bolts in the rear? If not, then how in the world did they adjust camber? You might be able to change it a tenth or two by pulling and pushing on the knuckle as you tighten things down, but there is no f--king way they went from -0.4* to -4.7* camber in the rear unless they broke something. End of story.

More likely I would say their equipment was spitting out crappy numbers. What does your right rear tire look like? -4.7* of camber is HUGE, and would be very, very visible to the naked eye. Working a little math, with -4.7deg camber the top of the tire would be 2" farther in than the bottom of the tire - is that how your car looks?

If that's not how your car looks, then I suggest going back to the original shop and asking them to try again (for free, of course, since they hosed up the first time), that the numbers they gave you are impossible. If that is how your car looks, and it didn't look like that before you took it to them, then you need to figure out what they broke and then bring them the bill to fix it.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 12-28-2002, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all your input!

I'm going back to the shop on monday to figure out what exactly they did. My car was the last one they worked on by the last guy working in the shop... I didnt bother going over the printout as they were busy closing for the day - what a mistake!
I have driven on gravel few times but dont remember hitting anyting hard. Despite what the printout says, right rear camber look pretty much the same as the left to me. that -4.7 probly is an error. To make things worse I've noticed it's pulling slightly to the right at speed
I will give them another chance. If they give me another set of wacky #'s i'll be asking for a refund.

BA,
Thanks for the shop info. I will definitely check it out! (soon if these morons cant help me...)
Old 12-30-2002, 12:25 PM

here's what i got after 2nd try...

front
camber: -0.7 (L), -0.7 (R)
toe: 0, 0

rear
camber: -1.3 (L), -1.0(R)
toe: 0, 0

It now tracks straight, but that right rear still bothers me. the shop says that's best they can do
Old 12-30-2002, 07:29 PM

thanks! Johnson's Alignment is now stored in my Palm
wish i can join you guys at the track...
Old 12-30-2002, 08:50 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally posted by John #555
It now tracks straight, but that right rear still bothers me. the shop says that's best they can do
For whatever reason, mismatched rear camber is not at all uncommon on these cars. Both my Legacy and my sister's WRX wagon have pretty significant mismatches in the rear. Actually, you have a pretty small mismatch compared to mine.

Pat
Old 12-30-2002, 11:29 PM

I'm just hoping the printout I got is showing the correct measures this time. Well, it passed my visual inspection and it drives straight.
According to the shop, their machine was off before, hence the -4.7 camber. I just dont think the shop is capable of fine tuning.