Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

WOW! WRX Steering and Handling SUCKS! compared to EVO-VIII!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
$24,700 for a new WRX vs. under $30,000 for an EVO. Nearly 50% more??? hmm... i dunno about that.

the extra $5000 or so goes towards making the WRX = to the EVO... and it wont happen. you can throw in another $10000 and it probably wont be close enough.

ok, comparing the WRX to an EVO is unfair, especially since the EVO is better than the STi in everything but raw power and MAYBE transmission.

so i guess all this is telling us to get EVO's...
Old 06-11-2003, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by DarriiffftaaHuy
$24,700 for a new WRX vs. under $30,000 for an EVO. Nearly 50% more??? hmm... i dunno about that.

the extra $5000 or so goes towards making the WRX = to the EVO... and it wont happen. you can throw in another $10000 and it probably wont be close enough.

ok, comparing the WRX to an EVO is unfair, especially since the EVO is better than the STi in everything but raw power and MAYBE transmission.

Buying a WRX for $24,700 is a lot like buying an Evo for $38,000.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:29 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
if you really want to get into it, you could add a quick ratio steering rack by www.revlabs.com and call it a day.
somehow i think you might have posted the wrong link, i got sent to a Software test and development site.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:09 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
Buying a WRX for $24,700 is a lot like buying an Evo for $38,000.
god, THANK YOU!!!!

and dropkick muppet, you're probably right, i didn't check that link after i posted it.

the correct link is www.rev-lab.com you want to make your steering quicker? buy the r2 quick rack. it works.

dariftahuey, do you realize that you're contradicting yourself? arguing that a WRX + $5000 can't equal an EVO, but then saying that even comparing them is UNFAIR. get your head straight and save the rolleyes for another day.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:14 PM

Steppin Razor, thanks for posting the right link -- damn that looks really tempting. a 12.5:1 steering ratio would make my WRX feel like a go-kart! i may have to do that after i get coilovers...
Old 06-12-2003, 11:08 PM

There goes the EVO advantage...
no kidding. an even tigher steering ratio, wheels and tires, and some suspension work and a WRX should be able to keep up with an EVO no sweat. getting ~280hp out of WRX isn't hard at all unless you live in CA.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally posted by DarriiffftaaHuy

WTF?!...I don't know anyone paying under 30k for the EVO...but ok. And I did pay 27k for my WRX after tax, title, plate, etc. but I also had one of the first in MI. So w/e. And how in TF is the EVO better than the STI again?

Oh yeah...I played with a new EVO with nothing but Injen CAI, HKS DP, Apex'i custom catback and AEM alt. pulley and it wasn't exactly hard to play with him...very close actually...not sure who would have won cuz I had to slow down to let him catch up after the launch. So I have what...$600 in power mods...and now have $1k in suspension as of now with STI takeoffs, Cusco pillowballs, and Whiteline sways installed...now for brakes! (I HATE OUR BRAKES!) Oh I have rims and tires also for another $1200 but didn't need or use them with the EVO at that moment.

WRX34

Last edited by WRX34; 06-14-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:35 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
dude, unless you want to drop bills, all you need to vastly improve the brakes are a set of good front pads (axxis ultimates can be had on www.stoptech.com for ~$50), SS lines all around, and new fluid (I like ATE Super Blue). You could throw in some DBA slotted rotors for added fade protection, but that's optional. You'll be surprised at how well the brakes work.

Also, that wasn't exactly smart to pay $27K for a WRX but if you gotta have it you gotta have it i guess. i got mine for 22K out the door. and yes that is a FULL $10K less that an EVO out the door at the cheapest dealer in the country. so, again, if you compare the EVO and WRX you are a total effing retard. good day.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
uhh, bad link...

Good thread so far. Lots of good points and ideas. I have been looking into this handling problem for sometime now. I would definitely prefer faster steering and I think that some new steering rack bushing could help out too.

Anyone have link to new bushings?

I was glad to see a link to the new faster rack that's available. HOWEVER, this link sends one to a software manufacturing company. Hmm, don't think that new software is going to help out my handling woo's, though, software has done wonders for my acceleration! Thanks ECUTEK!
Old 11-16-2003, 05:09 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Talk to Dave at Oakos Automotive....
http://www.oakos.com/
For Noltec steering rack bushes. Dave is a great guy and he will take the best care of you, quick service and he knows what he's about.
Check out his site, he has lots of suspension goodies...He has sold me many

About the only thing I have left to want is the Rev-Lab steering rack