Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Why is everyone looking for a rear brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:54 PM

Car Info: MY99 RBP 2.5RS
Originally posted by GarySheehan
Pimp,

As most here know, we are using the Stoptech BBK (328mmx28mm 2-piece Aerorotors & ST-40 calipers) on the front and the stock rear set-up. We run Pagid RS-14 pads in the front and custom cut Hawk HT-10 pads in the rear. We use Castrol SRF synthetic brake fluid.

We have had no heat related issues with our rear brakes whatsoever.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Good point.... I was about to change my brakes to H6 setup but I've changed my mind. Every pros tell me leave rear stock except lines and pads.

Gary what do you recommend on pads. I bought Porterfield street pads for fronts but haven't installed them yet.
It would be great to hear opinions from pros like this.
Isn't it about time pros posting threads and correct mis-infos and those who 'claim' to know a lot
Old 02-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wgn
I didn't feel like reading through 6 pages, but like myself I have an L with rear drums.......enough said, hahaha!
-Joe

lots of interesting stuff about brakes in this thread, the thing I know the least amount about...Thanks guys
Old 01-02-2004, 08:57 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRXB wagon
Here is a scenario:
Take your Subaru to dry empty lot, disconnect ABS and at about 30, 40, 50 MPH lock up your wheels. Than get out from your car and (meassure before lengh between front and rear contact patch of your tires) meassure lengh between your front and rear tires skid marks than you will see where is your car brake bias is.
And than adjust your bias accordingly, wether with pads, proportioned valve or other means.
We did it before in my country when I was racing cars there 20 years ago where it was unheart about ABS, but mostly for a reason to make sure that your all brakes works properly.

Serge.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Gary,

Because the goodridge kit came with 4 lines

-Gagan
Old 01-02-2004, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Coupe RS-T Tec3/Vishnu turbo Color: B
Why does an RS have way smaller rear brakes than an STi?? because it must be better or they would have the same rears.

Looks better on 17" or larger rims too.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:07 AM

My God this is an awesome thread! It's really made me reconsider my brake upgrades. I'll be sure to continue checking this thread out. I apologize for not being able to contribute, but again...an awesome thread!
Old 01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
good pt gary....i saw a car with some wilwood 6 pistons up front and 4 pots on the rear....(s2000).......guess he needed some extra stopping power for reverse....
Old 01-26-2004, 07:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally posted by Kobayashi

B. If you are not getting the Stoptech kit(I have a Legacy GT btw, and its not an option to me) measured upgrades can push a little of the bias rearward, just like the Stoptech kit does. Meaning if nothing else has changed going up to an "H6" rotor upgrade and keeping the stock front brakes on a WRX lands you in the same bias range as the Stoptech kit does.
nice to know that the seat of the pants testimonials regarding the h6 upgrade have a foot solidly in the theoretical camp.

ken

Quick Reply: Why is everyone looking for a rear brake kit?