Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Why is everyone looking for a rear brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
As long as you do the same thing to the front as to the rear, the balance should stay the same. So keeping the pad compound front and rear the same shouldn't change balance. Braided lines front and rear shouldn't change balance either.

One way to move bias to the rear is to put a pad with a higher coefficient of friction on the back brakes only.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 01-03-2003, 07:03 PM

Thank you James for the very informative post. I am now even more confident with my decision to put my money elsewhere rather than invest it in an expensive rear brake upgrade. Your description of maintaining brake bias was very well done. Its nice to hear from a pro every now and then.
Tom.
P.S. I love my Stop Techs..
Old 01-04-2003, 06:07 AM

The maybe look into a master cylinder with more pistons or smaller pistons..the stainless lines won't really affect the all out pedal feel all that significantly...but I would definately want them for road racing. You can also alter pedal effoprt by pad selection, etc..there are too many variables. I have run teh Stoptech kit on customer cars at the track on a variety of cars and found it to be avery nicely weighted system, with loads of bite, and good balance (i.e no rear lockup, and minimal fade after successive fast laps).

Some guys just want what they want, even if there is no plausible explanation for it..to each his own is a wionderful thing!

As for an adjustable propertioning valve on anything but an all out race car...I have truly heard it all. Then again, some people think there street cars are all out race cars.

Adam
www.z1auto.com

Quick Reply: Why is everyone looking for a rear brake kit?