Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Why is everyone looking for a rear brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx,944 turbo racecar, Lexus is300
Originally posted by Kobayashi
Bro you need to settle down. I dont think anyone here has "challenged" what Gary has to say. Most of the statements you are making are more about blowing your own horn rather than addressing the topic at hand. I seriously doubt Gary needs any backup from you. My questions were not inteneded to "challenge" Gary, they were simply that, questions. As a matter of discussion Gary and I agree on almost any braking issue. Gary and I shared platform on a number of issues on the old i-club regarding the need or lack thereof of upgrades. I find it humorous, your vain attempt to ride Gary's coattails into some sort of online celebrity.

Back on topic, I can't speak for other peoples vehicles but let me explain a bit about my own. Lets eliminate calipers from the discussion, beacuse you, 944 guy, as an experienced track aficionado, should know the performance is largely a rotor issue. My Subaru came stock with 277x24mm front and 266x10mm rear rotors. I upgraded both the front AND rear rotors to 294x24mm and 290x18mm respectively. This equates to an almost identical to stock front to rear brake bias and a significant increase in the cooling capacity of the system in general. And it looks better than stock as well.

Do I have any remorse or concerns about the effects this will have on my braking? No. Is the system superior to the stock system? IMO, yes it is in every important way. As long as the bias is maintained, any upgrade in the cooling capacity of the system is a good thing.

k.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx,944 turbo racecar, Lexus is300
I started out by saying I was worked up,..and you never said what you use your car for anyway...

I will say very little other than this.......
let's see what happens with all that rear brake "bias" you guys talk about as you try to carry some brake into a corner, on the track or on the street. Most racers get every little amount of speed from carrying some brake into the corner, which you cant do with alot of rear "bias".

And I seriously dont need to toot my own horn, not is that what I was doing, let alone swingin' on Gary's nuts,..my purpose of telling you the things about me was to support what I was saying with what I do,...NOT WHAT I TALK ABOUT DOING. And the fact still remains that alot of people on here ( I-club ) only talk,..and are limited with what they have done, and its frustating to sit and read alot of BS. As for you,..if you live in the D.C area I invite you to the track and I 'll take you for a ride and show you what I am talking about.

944 turbo guy
Old 12-30-2002, 08:44 AM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I believe in Australia they get the Subaru 4pots and 2 pot rears.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:35 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally posted by Zahnster
Here's a thought. Isn't Gary's car noticably lighter than the stock WRX? Wouldn't that make his need for a larger (than Stoptech...?) front kit or a larger (than stock) rear kit lessened?
From an old post on the NASIOC Forum when Gary was first getting the car ready for the USTCC:
There is a press release on the USTCC site that talks briefly about this. We will have to carry a lot of weight. The rules of the series call for 13lbs per 1hp (stock engine output). With 227hp, we have to run at 2,951lbs. With the AWD we have to add 150lbs. Total weight is 3101lbs - heavier than stock.
3101# is not heavier than stock, but that's nearly stock. A later post said the AWD penalty had been reduced to 50#, but then they went with the Stoptechs which resulted in another weight penalty of 30#.

So, the curb weight of the car is pretty close to a stock WRX sedan, but of course the weight distribution is way better because they stripped out all the excess crap and then added ballast where needed. That actually adds more weight (pun intended ) to Gary's argument - their race car has even more weight on the rear than a "normal" car does, yet it doesn't use up the rear brakes.

Pat
Old 12-30-2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Patrick Olsen
yet it doesn't use up the rear brakes.

Pat
Hmmm I wonder why...
Old 12-31-2002, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
AaronC,

I think you hit the nail on the head. You need to maintain the balance front to rear. As you pointed out, we use Stoptech brakes on our car (are sponsored by them as well). This are the only upgrade brake kit we've used on our racecar. Since they are already sized (both rotor diameter and piston diameters) to work optimally with the stock rear set-up, I wanted to know why so many people wanted to upgrade the already properly sized rears.

So you're right. If you don't use a front brake caliper and rotor that is specifically engineered to be used effectively with the stock rears, you will also have to upgrade the rear brakes to maintain proper brake bias.

Kobayashi,

You got the rotor diameter fairly close (1.04 f/r stock compared to 1.01 f/r upgraded), but did you match the cylinder volumes of the calipers to the same ratio as stock? If not, you may have changed your bias dramatically.

This is what 944 Turbo Guy is talking about. Your brake system may feel great to you in straight line braking, even if the bias is too far to the rear. Have you had the opportunity to try your setup using threshold trailbraking into a fast corner on the track? If not, you may be in for a big unpleasant surprise.

Alex,

Towards the end of the season, our car had to weigh 3,320 pounds, which is significantly more than stock. And our car uses the stock motor and turbo, which is no where near as powerful as a lot of the street WRXs out there. Our race car is more than 200 pounds heavier and has much less power than many streetcars, including yours. You're right, it's not fair to compare street to race. I guess that's why we run a street brake kit on our racecar and you run a full front and rear race kit on your streetcar. Right?

Back to AaronC,

Yes, we are sponsored by Stoptech. Correct, we don't run a rear brake kit. But Stoptech doesn't make a rear kit because it's not needed with the way they have engineered their front brakes. I have to say that we agree with them. Not because they are a sponsor, but because of what we see in performance on the track and the heat that we see at the rears. I wish you could see them sometime after a race. We've got 4 race weekends on the rear rotors and I believe 3 race weekends on the rear pads. Maybe 4. No rear heat issues at all and great brake balance.

azscoobie,

Your example is solved simply by upgrading brake pads. The brakes should never catch fire. A few of you may remember when we ran out of front brakes at Road America in 2001 while using the stock calipers and rotors. After the 3rd lap, I was on the backing plates in the front (due to our error in forgetting to replace pads before the race). So for the rest of that 40 minute race, I had the bias to full rear trying to get as much rear brake as possible. When we finished, our front brakes looked like this:

Our rear brakes wore out in that race, but they never caught fire. And, to top it all off, we managed to finish in second place.

I'm guessing you were using the stock pads when yours caught fire, right? That's a big no-no with these cars.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com

Last edited by GarySheehan; 12-31-2002 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:01 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Haha!

Tacoed pad. I remember that.

3200? Damn, you should really go on the diet, G.

- Alex
Old 12-31-2002, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
I know, but with the holidays and all...

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
Old 12-31-2002, 02:07 PM

I have wondered why as well Gary..its primarily a look thing, followed by a :I ahve more mods than you do" thing

Adam
Z-1 Performance
www.z1auto.com
Old 12-31-2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Kobayashi

I would genuinely like to know what the truth actually is. Has anyone compared for example proportioning valves on a pair of Subaru vehicles that only differed in front or rear brakes(all else being equal)?

Good discussion.
k.
I have another question. If the stoptech kit maintains front-rear bias perfectly, then does it have anymore torque then stock? It stands to reason that it does not. One would assume that the main advantage to the stoptechs would be the larger rotors thus more heat handling capability. Actually adding some more braking force to the front does not cause serious problems, as long as the torque is applied in a controlled fashion. It would seem that if you were to have a rear setup with the stoptech brakes it would cause a problem becasue the front kit does not add more braking force. If it did then they could not say that that they mantain stock bias.

Last edited by AaronC; 01-01-2003 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Why is everyone looking for a rear brake kit?