Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

What will decrease my braking distance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Stickier tires. That's the only thing that actually cuts down braking distance. All other brake mods are strictly to improve fade resistance.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:36 PM

Car Info: '02 Legacy GT - no mods
Not that I doubt you BAN SUVS, cause I regard you as one of the most knowledgeable on the board... but say you take an STi and swap in the regular WRX's brakes, you'd have the same stopping distance?

Maybe I've just bought into the aftermarket brake folks' advertising.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:55 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
Ban Suvs is right. you can only exert so much force on the rotor with a caliper acting through the pads before said force overcomes the available traction. stock WRX calipers are capable of locking up one or more wheels, right? the only way to prevent that under maximum decceleration is to increase the friction between the tire and the road.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:16 AM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
Must buy BBK....(Subliminal message) LOL.... If you would like to increase braking capabilities then there are plenty of ways to do it along with what BAN SUVS said.

Stoptech puts out a Staged Kit that allows you to change rotors to slotted or drilled and upgrade to Stainless Steel brake lines and change the pads. This is an inexpensive way to give you a better feel and increased stopping power.

Then there is always the Big Brake Kits (BBK) that will give you awesome stopping power!!

If you need any more help then let me know and I would be glad to give you more info!

Thanks,
Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
Old 01-23-2004, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Okay, let me rephrase that a little bit. Those who posted after me are also correct. Braking distance comes down to the lesser of maximum clamping force of the brakes or grip of the tires. If you already have brakes that can lock up your wheels, then bigger, stronger brakes won't help you stop faster. But, if you add nice sticky tires, then yes, you can also reduce your stopping distance with stronger brakes, if you can no longer lock the wheels up with your existing setup. Also, some would argue that larger brakes with more clamping force or, as in the case of Stoptechs, more mechanical advantage, make it easier to modulate.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:42 PM

BAN SUVS - Yup I was right you are all over the place!

You are correct as well!!

Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
Old 01-23-2004, 06:44 PM

Car Info: '02 Legacy GT - no mods
Ah, now I understand. Very helpful info, thanks all!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:09 PM

EZ Rider - Glad to help! Please let me know if I can do anything further for you or if need any help deciding on braking options!

Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
Old 01-28-2004, 09:02 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
One often overlooked point is the amount of compliance present in the stock brake system. By compliance, I mean the amount of force required first to overcome the "free play" in the system, and subsequently, the force that is literally wasted in flexing components of the system. The energy used to take up any play present in the system and energy used to bend, distort, flex, or expand any part in the system under braking is energy that could have been used to slow the car.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:12 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
I have Carbotech Bobcats in mine and I like them....Ferodo 2500's are nice, too...there are several other very good pads out there, as well
Both of the above will cost over $100/set for just the front....
Old 02-01-2004, 03:45 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
yes, improving the car's suspension can reduce stopping distances. better suspension will allow the tires to grip the road better, resulting in quicker stops because of more outright grip.

most cars have the capacity to lock up all four wheels with the stock braking system. thats why most cars these days come with ABS -- because the drivers can't threshold brake effectively and would lock the brakes when the panic without ABS.

there is a bit of compliance in the stock braking system, but its not wasted energy that is the problem. the flex inherent in rubber lines doesn't change the cars mechanical ability to stop. what it does do is to rob the system of the subjective feel that humans need to brake effectively while not locking up the wheels. stainless lines will help a little bit with brake fade, but are mostly for braking feel.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:09 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Slowing down to begin with.

Quick Reply: What will decrease my braking distance?