Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

What is Strut Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:44 PM

Car Info: Impreza 1.6 Automatic gear
What is Strut Bar?

I know its probably a stupid question but since i own a 1.6L 02 Impreza I offcurse dont have this part just wanted to know what it dose and if you put it how the cars handel diffrent thanks for your time sorry for the stupid question.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:01 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
A strut bar (or sturt brace, or strut tower brace, or strut tower bar) is designed to reduce deflection of the unit body when you load up a front wheel, as in hard cornering. The small amount of flex can result in sub-optimal alignment and less grip.

However, with the standard struts and springs, the effects of a strut bar are minimal on a new body Impreza as it is already quite stiff from the factory. If you already have significant mods to the suspension, then they can be a good addition, but aren't the place to start.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:16 AM

Okay thanks for the info so where is the place to start with suspension i know nothing at all about suspension the thing is that my subaru isnt that strong (only 95 HP) all factory and i do want it to stay that way (i only have it for her looks ) but i do need more grip/handeling becuse i like hard cornering and cornering at high speed waiting for your info thanks!.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:47 AM

My personal recipe for better cornering in an Impreza is as follows:

1- Tires, and wheels if you want to spend for good 17"ers (or 16"- does your car come with the 16" allows or something smaller?) There are a lot of opinions on which tires to get, but you generally get what you pay for. My personal favorite is the Bridgestone Potenza S-03. I hear good things about the Kumho Ecsta MX, Falken Azenis, and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s from other people, but be careful with your choice- inexpensive high performance tires like the Kumho and the Falken are poor performers in the rain. The extra cost of the Bridgestones and Goodyears nets you excellent wet performance on top of lots of dry grip.

1a- Get a good performance alignment done. It can make an amazing difference on any car of any level of tune if it isn't already set properly. This also ensures you don't prematurely destroy those nice new expensive tires you just bought (ask me how I know about that one... ).

2- Rear sway bar and endlinks. If the rest of your suspension is stock, I wouldn't go larger than 18 or 20mm for this. Once you have better struts and springs, you can go bigger if it suits you. This will help the car to rotate better at low and moderate speeds, enabling you to spend more time enjoying the handling instead of trying to force the car to rotate, which makes you slower and less happy.

3- Strut and spring combos or coilovers. When it comes to non-adjustable setups, there is Prodrive, and there is everything else. STi takeoffs are the next best, followed by springs (Whiteline Controls, Prodrives, Eibach ProKits are my favorites) and struts like the KYB AGX. Avoid temptation to lower the car more than about an inch. The Impreza's suspension geometry works best with relatively little drop.

4- Group N bushings and hardened strut tops or camber plates. These items do more to improve driver feedback and road feel than out and out grip, but they do enable you to go faster. Good stuff to have.

5- Strut braces/ chassis bracing. Icing on the cake. The improvements from these items are greatly enhanced by stiffenening everything else up first.

Miscellaneous- there are also myriad other inexpensive little things you can do for the car to make it better. Things like Steering rack bushings, short shifters, shift bushings, things of that nature. these things can be done whenever you just have a little spare money around but not enough to move on to the next major mod on your list.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Strut tower bars are a waste of money in my opiniun. Ban Suvs is right, follow his steps and also look into the whiteline ALK.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:23 PM

Thanks alot for the info

BAN SUVS: my car come with a 15" metal wheels and plastick caps is it possible to put 17" rims on it? (my impreza is a 2002 model and in israel we dont have dealers shop we have a cheap-o-dealers shop you dont wana know how much an STI cost here).
Old 03-05-2004, 09:42 PM

you shouldnt have any problems putting on 17's on.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:34 AM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
I am curious as to how much an STi cost in Israel. I know cars and such are expensive there.

I have a bunch of family and family friends living in Israel. I beleive they live in a place called Natanya, not sure though. Just thought I'd share. Good luck over there.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by crash n burn
I know you are asking Ban, but I will return anyway. You shouldn't have any problem putting different wheels on your car. Just make sure you get the right ones. Get the correct lug pattern and offset for example. You will have some serious problems if you put the wrong offset on.

p.s. Hope everything is going well over there where you are at.
This is true. I would look for a 17x7 wheel with about a +48-+50mm offset. OZ SuperLeggeras look awesome on older Imprezas, and they are great wheels.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:18 AM

Thanks alot for the info guys (i only hope that i'll find the brands you all mentioned becuse we dont have that much veraiety in israel)

another question (sorry i know it sound stupid) what is an offset?

crash n burn: Thanks man it actulley isnt its holyday time right now and there waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many threts from hamas jiehad and all those groups about bombs attack at us so its quiet scarry going to partys........ myself I'm going tonight and tommwros night but to minmize chances of bieng in such attack i'm staying away from tel aviv (you guys got to see it the street at night just FULL of cops cant do anything with the car )

rustokman: its gona be hard, STI cost about 40-50K!!! my car cost about 20K and its the cheapest model there is second yeah your right there is a city calld natanya and its about 15 minuets driving away from my city (i live in herzelya) natanya is like the home of orginized crime lots of mafia there and car thefes (i never leave my car alone in that city (check to see if your femelly arent super *** rich mafiozo that would be cool) but there very good new parts there not that my city is any better but here people are kinda more hood like and evreyone knows each other BTW natnya is like TEL AVIV alot of sucide attacks happend there its like so close to the arabs that its scarry..... i hope your femelly is doing good
Old 03-06-2004, 05:22 AM

Here is a great explanation of everything you need to know about wheel fitment.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:24 AM

Thanks alot ban super quick replay!

Quick Reply: What is Strut Bar?