Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.
View Poll Results: WHICH IS THE BEST REAR SWAY BAR
CUSCO
33.33%
WHITELINE/MRT
44.44%
PERRIN
5.56%
PROGRESS
0%
HOTCHKIS
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What is the Best SWAY BAR for WRX...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 02:09 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX Sedan
Question What is the Best SWAY BAR for WRX...

I am in the process of upgrading my suspension.

I am looking to buy a rear adjustable sway bar.

There are quite a few of them on the market now.

Which one should I get?

1) Cusco
2) Whiteline
3) MRT
4) Perrin
5) Progress
6) Hotchkis

I do not care about the price. What I need is a good quality bar that will do the job and will not have SQUEAKY BUSHINGS!
Also, I saw some old Progress rear adjustable bars that are straight (no bends for the exhaust) and come with mounts. Is a straight bar any better than a bent one?

Thanks for your help!
Maniac.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I would recommend Whiteline. They have the most experience with Subaru suspensions and will give you excellent advice on which of their products will best suit you if you contact them with specifics about what you want out of your car. They have a wide selection of sway bars, plus excellent quality HD mounts and endlinks, and they are less expensive to boot. The bushings will not squeak if you use the white grease they include in the package. I used some silicon spray on my swaybar's bushings when installing it 6 months ago and it hasn't squeaked either. (It's an FHI 20mm.) The RSB should have 2 bends in it- one to clear the muffler, and one to come up to the passenger side mount. The passenger side lever arm will also have a bend in it. I suppose a straight bar of a given diameter might have different effective rates than a bent bar of the same diameter and length, but the "size" of a sway bar is based on it's relative spring rates- for instance, the Whiteline 23-26mm RSB is actually 24mm in diameter. Regardless of the actual physical size of the sway bar you can expect it to behave as one of the diamter it is rated as due to slight changes in geometry between brands.

Cusco and Perrin are also high quality, nothing to really detract from them, other than the fact they are more expensive without really doing any better than the Whiteline equipment. Perrin also sells new mounts with all of their sway bars, though this is only really necessary if you will be getting a bar with an effective diameter larger than 22mm. They also use spherical bearings on their endlinks which adds cost, and may or may not be as effective long term.

Progress and Hotchkis both have outstanding reputations for suspension components, but are newer to Subaru tuning than the others. I would expect them to be good as well, but I have not seen either of them on a WRX yet personally.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:25 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Upon further review, Jacquot's SCC Project WRX is running Progress Group swaybars and mounts, and they are quite happy with it. I doubt you will really be dissatisfied with any of the choices you listed.