Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

wagon suspension recommendations? (was: Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Boost don't think I was calling you a noob. I check profile before I throw that around. Much of time technical questions do not get answered, certainly not with a technical discussion.
To the original post... GET AN F'N WAGON ALREADY!!!! Mafia Clique for life yo
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Oh no, Ipozestu... Sorry, if it came out that way... I didn't take it as a shot or anything, haha... It just kind of sparked me to bring up the fact that its the very reason I love I-club...Thanks again in all your involvement and time invested... all of you, you guys kick ***!

Besides... If i went with a GTI or some other turd of a car... what online community would I join? The wanna-be BMW owners? Trust me, I've been around, and this is by far the most down-to-earth, closely knit, and mutually respective community... Can you believe this message board is one of my deciding factors for going with a Subaru??? haha...

Just waiting for the Mazdaspeed 3 to come out... check it out and make sure im not missing out on a good/practical deal, then Im all for the wagon...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I have to disagree with Cody8675309 100% on the choice between springs and sway bars. I've driven cars that have been bone stock then put in REDICULOUSLY stiff springs...like 16k in front and 12k in the back. then back to stock then put in sway bars. then added springs into the mix with the sway bars. if I were to upgrade one or the other...springs or sway bars I'd do sway bars.

saying if you get stiff enough springs you don't need sway bars is completely rediculous if you ask me.

bandaid? it makes a difference regardless of springs.

And as for get stiff enough springs and you won't need anything bigger than a 20mm I have to disagree with that as well.

I put the 20mm on my wagon with stock suspension and was stoked with how much of a difference it made. now with just same sway bar I put a full spec C suspension swap into my car and it just overpowers the sway bar.

yes my car will outhandle most but with upgraded front and and rear sway bars it will handle even better. sway bars make a HUGE difference in turn in ability as well as tuneability of your handling. Stiffin up the rear sway or the front sway and you can completely change the way a car handles. Like it to step out turn up the rear. Like it neutral run it neutral..if for some reason you like more understear than overstear turn up the front.

my car is stiffer than **** but that doesn't mean you don't need sway bars. if that were true you wouldn't see 32mm sway bars on track cars with 16 and 18k springs.

I believe my springs are stiffer than ipozestu's and his car handles so much better than mine it's rediculous...and that was pre-koni insert. I'm sure it's a dream now.

if I had to choose sway bars or springs I'd choose sway bars in a heart beat. You can always save up and do coil overs or a nice spring/strut combo...that's gonna cost more than say frnt/rear sways and rear endlinks. if you had only....say $350 to spend on wagon suspension I'd get some good springs and a sedan rear sway bar. If I had $500 I'd get springs a nice rear sway bar and endlinks..then add the frnt sway later.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 AM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I have to disagree with Cody8675309 100% on the choice between springs and sway bars. I've driven cars that have been bone stock then put in REDICULOUSLY stiff springs...like 16k in front and 12k in the back. then back to stock then put in sway bars. then added springs into the mix with the sway bars. if I were to upgrade one or the other...springs or sway bars I'd do sway bars.
Upgraded rear sway/endlinks is a great first mod for a WRX. Upgrading the rear bar actually gives the front end more grip. After doing some research, it seems upgrading the front bar is also beneficial, but with a big caveat that I'll get to.

saying if you get stiff enough springs you don't need sway bars is completely rediculous if you ask me.
I agree. Here's what I said:

Originally Posted by Cody8675309
IMO, if you get stiff enough springs, you won't find yourself ever needing any more than a 20mm rear bar and solid endlinks. I've run this setup for 2 years and I love it. As I said, the Eibach's allow more body roll than I'd like, but it's a compromise for offroading, snow, etc.

I believe it's better to address body roll with stiff springs than sway bars, partly because aftermarket bars and endlinks are $$$$ and partly because I think really thick sways are a bandaid for soft suspension. The OEM 20mm and solid endlinks in the rear actually made my car slightly tail happy which is one of the reasons I run the same camber front and back now.
The reason I'd prefer to address body roll with springs is that you don't give up the independent suspension characteristics with stiffer springs like you do with thick sways. I want my car to be able to go from tarmac to dirt/snow without having to disconnect some giant sways that are really only appropriate for autoX/track.

bandaid? it makes a difference regardless of springs.
Sways do make a difference regardless of springs, but everything in the system affects everything else. Running stiffer springs will actually reduce the effect your sways have on the system, and vice versa. Don't try to run your Suby with giant sways on an uneven surface.

And as for get stiff enough springs and you won't need anything bigger than a 20mm I have to disagree with that as well.

I put the 20mm on my wagon with stock suspension and was stoked with how much of a difference it made. now with just same sway bar I put a full spec C suspension swap into my car and it just overpowers the sway bar.

yes my car will outhandle most but with upgraded front and and rear sway bars it will handle even better. sway bars make a HUGE difference in turn in ability as well as tuneability of your handling. Stiffin up the rear sway or the front sway and you can completely change the way a car handles. Like it to step out turn up the rear. Like it neutral run it neutral..if for some reason you like more understear than overstear turn up the front.
Adjusting the rear sway is a great way to get the car balanced. Since my rear bar isn't adjustable, I use tire pressure and my KYB AGX stiffness to balance the car. Works great. Also your alignment settings play a big role. I run -1.8 camber all around. I'd prefer a touch less camber in back, but I wanted to be able to fit monster wide tires when I AutoX.

my car is stiffer than **** but that doesn't mean you don't need sway bars. if that were true you wouldn't see 32mm sway bars on track cars with 16 and 18k springs.

I believe my springs are stiffer than ipozestu's and his car handles so much better than mine it's rediculous...and that was pre-koni insert. I'm sure it's a dream now.
I think it's safe to say that uneven surface/poor traction driving is less of a concern for you than it is to me. Nothing wrong with that...if I had multiple cars and deep pockets I'd turn my car into a rally monster.

But since rally is detrimental to the car's health and isn't locally as accessible, I AutoX. This is my first year but I've beaten ESP both days I've competed in it.

if I had to choose sway bars or springs I'd choose sway bars in a heart beat.
Then why are you recommending springs before a front swaybar below? Seems to me you don't disagree 100% since you're recomending my setup basically.

You can always save up and do coil overs or a nice spring/strut combo...that's gonna cost more than say frnt/rear sways and rear endlinks. if you had only....say $350 to spend on wagon suspension I'd get some good springs and a sedan rear sway bar. If I had $500 I'd get springs a nice rear sway bar and endlinks..then add the front sway later.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 PM
General Pimpin'

I'm recommending that as a FIRST STEP. not a final solution. he said he was on a budget.

as for not trying to run my car on uneven surfaces.....dude I live on the bumpiest dirt road you've ever seen. On top of that I absolutely SMASH in the snow. I love to drive my car in the snow. Yes it gets sketchier the stiffer your suspenion is but so be it. If you know how to drive in the snow and don't have your head up your *** it's not that bad. Not enough that I would bother unhooking everything. i don't rally my car. If I did I wouldn't set it up for the street. I might rally cross my car....as is. I drive in the snow about 30-40 days a year as I am an avid snowboarder and the originator of the i-club wagon clique snowboard trip.

I spend at lot of time off the road. I'd say its pretty safe to say that I can handle my car in the dirt...any car in he dirt as well and better than most people I've been on drives with. I grew up in the dirt. My brother was a national champ circle track driver as a youngerster and I grew up in dune buggies and on quads. I love the dirt. but yeah it might be less of a concern for me than you to have a car that can drive on uneven surfaces....driving on the street is such a huge amount of my time that that is what I chose to focus on.

Don't even get me started on your camber set up. What size tires do you run on a daily basis? what size on autox days?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I'm recommending that as a FIRST STEP. not a final solution. he said he was on a budget.

as for not trying to run my car on uneven surfaces.....dude I live on the bumpiest dirt road you've ever seen. On top of that I absolutely SMASH in the snow. I love to drive my car in the snow. Yes it gets sketchier the stiffer your suspenion is but so be it. If you know how to drive in the snow and don't have your head up your *** it's not that bad. Not enough that I would bother unhooking everything. i don't rally my car. If I did I wouldn't set it up for the street. I might rally cross my car....as is. I drive in the snow about 30-40 days a year as I am an avid snowboarder and the originator of the i-club wagon clique snowboard trip.

I spend at lot of time off the road. I'd say its pretty safe to say that I can handle my car in the dirt...any car in he dirt as well and better than most people I've been on drives with. I grew up in the dirt. My brother was a national champ circle track driver as a youngerster and I grew up in dune buggies and on quads. I love the dirt. but yeah it might be less of a concern for me than you to have a car that can drive on uneven surfaces....driving on the street is such a huge amount of my time that that is what I chose to focus on.

Don't even get me started on your camber set up. What size tires do you run on a daily basis? what size on autox days?

I run Toyo Proxes 4's in 225/50/16 on stock rims and 215/45/17 Yokohama AVS ES100's (not impressed with this tire) on 17X7.5 Rota's for daily driving.

For AutoX I have a set of Enkei RP02's in 17X7.5 wrapped with Falken Azenis RT-615's in 225/45/17. The RT-615's (like their predecessor the RT-215) run very wide so it's essentially a 235 width tire.

Offroad/in the snow, my car feels great and not "sketchy" at all. I can decide how much rotation through accelerator input.

I still don’t think we disagree 100%. If we did, I’d be saying “don’t touch your sways and only do springs” and you’d be saying, “don’t touch your springs, only do sways” but we both know that an upgraded rear bar is a great first mod, springs should be next, and then look at your front bar.

Last edited by Cody8675309; 06-11-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 PM
General Pimpin'

I run wider tires than that right now for daily driving. I'm looking at running 235 615's with my next set of tires...daily. My snow tires will be mounted on my stock wheels next season. those 615's are beefy.

my car is solid as hell in the snow. I can pretty much do whatever I want. It's why I bought the car in the first place. Shoot I had my car in the snow once this year on RE070's..h.aaaaa. did just fine.

the es100 is a decent tire. It just gets really really loud as it wears down. I've run through 2 sets.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:11 PM

If I understand you correctly, you run a 20mm rear sway and the stock front sway? Try running thick bars in the snow and then report back.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 PM
General Pimpin'

been there done that. in an fwd, awd and rwd car i've run sway bars of over 26mm in the snow.

I'd prefer to drive a 4wd vehicle with deflated tires and no sway bars at all in the snow but as long as your being careful I can drive just about anything in the snow. my list goes from fwd nissan pulsars and civics to mini vans full of junior high kids and full size fans full of college students to fully spec'd offroad vehicles. I love driving in the snow. Can't wait to cut loose with larger sway bars and some blizzaks next year.