Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

wagon suspension recommendations? (was: Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by ipozestu
What are you using for top hats in the rear?
Stock. I have an 03.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Awesome info... I looking into the koni option a while back, but yeah seems to need a little DIY work involved... which is fine, ultimately I need to figure out a way to build it up step by step, perhaps springs first... then sways, and finally shocks...

anyone having any noise coming from the sways and endlinks btw?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Endlinks are hit and miss. Some clunk some don't. One I know for sure that won't clunk are the white lines. I run the Pol-tech hybrid type. They don't clunk but the do squeak every few months. I just take them apart and regrease them. Swaybars some times squeak. Same deal here regrease them. Last time I did this I tried wrapping the bar in Teflon tape. So far no squeaks. We'll if it works for the long haul. I opted for springs first, and a 20mm sedan rear sway. Run your stock struts til they go out. The stiffer spring really gives your strut a workout. They will certainly fail. When they do replace them. Sways you can do any time. They do not contribute to unsprung weight. The killer for my stock struts was when I put on the LGT brakes front and rear. These suckers are wicked heavy. Combined with the STi pink springs, it was way to much bouncing around for the stock struts to handle. I highly recommend the STi Wagon pink springs. No saggy butt, they can handle quite a bit of load in the rear. The progression on these springs is amazing. Nice and smooth for cruising, while agressive cornering is quite firm with a very nice feel. They take loading inputs very well. In additon the drop is perfect. about 3/4" to 1". I have been running 225's with no rubbing issues what so ever. I'd imagine the large sways help the roll quite a bit. Don't be affraid to do both the front and rear sway bars. Many will tell you it's a bad idea and it will understeer too much. Everyone that tells you this does not know how to drive. If you load your suspension properly, and can judge your corner speed correctly you will feel your outside tire bury into the pavement and grip like no other. If you do a large front sway just be sure to do an equally lage rear sway.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Yeah, I have the whiteline steel endlinks (front & rear) wrapped w/ teflon tape and 20mm rear bar also. No squeaks or clunks...wellll...I do get a clunk every once in a while when I go over speed bumps but I think its the springs/struts.

Handles great right now. I also have whiteline steering rack bushings, they sharpen up the steering column. Im done for suspension mods right now. Maybe some day I'll upgrade to a bigger front bar and rear bar but Im quite happy for now.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I'm not familiar with the GR2's. Link?
KYB ~ Non Adjustable about 15% firmer then stock (thier specs).
Old 06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

so grease and teflon tape seems to do the trick eh? Haha

Great write up ipozestu, lots of great info, and a logical path that sounds like something I would go about doing (i.e.: letting the stock shocks wear first)

When you guys are tlaking about these clunks, etc... is it when you take a bump at really high speed? Because I'm a pretty gentle/smooth driver.. I dont like throwing my car into situations that would cause excessive strains, etc... or are these noises simple due to cornering at a high speed, etc?

Also is it even WORTH throwing on the sedan RSB in the meantime, or upgrade both front and rear to larger adjustable ones from say Perrin... (heard/experienced great things from their products...)

Because to be completely honest... The stock handling of an impreza leaves me slightly less than imprezzed. It's mushy, and body roll is significant, it doesnt plant and stay... Which is why the Perrin springs were first on my list... as you guys say it needs to be wagon specific, and no, I dont want a saggy ***/ so if its wagon spec. then ill get those, if not, ill try out some of those you guys suggested... So say I throw on those springs.. and a sedan RSB... in all honesty, will cornering be a completely different experience? or will i still want more? I dont foresee myself getting swaybars and endlinks too early on... especially if theres the periodic maintenance involved in keeping them squeak/clunk free.. Again, I don't auto-x, so with that in mind, do you guys think the ride will be good enough? or are those large adj. sway bars really a worthwhile contribution even with the efforts/cost involved?

Last edited by Boost Addict; 06-06-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM

IMO, if you get stiff enough springs, you won't find yourself ever needing any more than a 20mm rear bar and solid endlinks. I've run this setup for 2 years and I love it. As I said, the Eibach's allow more body roll than I'd like, but it's a compromise for offroading, snow, etc.

I believe it's better to address body roll with stiff springs than sway bars, partly because aftermarket bars and endlinks are $$$$ and partly because I think really thick sways are a bandaid for soft suspension. The OEM 20mm and solid endlinks in the rear actually made my car slightly tail happy which is one of the reasons I run the same camber front and back now.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cody8675309
IMO, if you get stiff enough springs, you won't find yourself ever needing any more than a 20mm rear bar and solid endlinks. I've run this setup for 2 years and I love it. As I said, the Eibach's allow more body roll than I'd like, but it's a compromise for offroading, snow, etc.

I believe it's better to address body roll with stiff springs than sway bars, partly because aftermarket bars and endlinks are $$$$ and partly because I think really thick sways are a bandaid for soft suspension. The OEM 20mm and solid endlinks in the rear actually made my car slightly tail happy which is one of the reasons I run the same camber front and back now.
Agree 100%
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
When you guys are tlaking about these clunks, etc... is it when you take a bump at really high speed? Because I'm a pretty gentle/smooth driver.. I dont like throwing my car into situations that would cause excessive strains, etc... or are these noises simple due to cornering at a high speed, etc?
Clunks are hard to diagnose so its difficult to say. Some have them some dont, hell even the stock STi has its fair share of noises from the struts. My alignment isnt perfect, I have some problems from a previous accident(bent control arm and siezed tie rods) so I think those have to do with the occasional clunks. It only happens at ~ 5 mph over speedbumps.
Also is it even WORTH throwing on the sedan RSB in the meantime, or upgrade both front and rear to larger adjustable ones from say Perrin... (heard/experienced great things from their products...)
I say yes because they are so cheap, I got mine used for $50. Add on some endlinks to make it more effective and you WILL feel a difference. Instead of plowing through turns, it adds a little pitch to the rear. Then, if you need it more tail happy throw on a bigger bar (22-24) or adjustable one.

Which is why the Perrin springs were first on my list... as you guys say it needs to be wagon specific, and no, I dont want a saggy ***/ so if its wagon spec. then ill get those, if not, ill try out some of those you guys suggested... So say I throw on those springs.. and a sedan RSB... in all honesty, will cornering be a completely different experience? or will i still want more? I dont foresee myself getting swaybars and endlinks too early on... especially if theres the periodic maintenance involved in keeping them squeak/clunk free.. Again, I don't auto-x, so with that in mind, do you guys think the ride will be good enough?
I wouldnt get the Perrins, I think they drop it too low (like 2 inches). For wagon springs I would recommend Prodrive or Crucial racing. The JDM pink ones are good, but finding jdm wagon specific might be tough and the non-wagon specific have the saggy butt.

My setup is based on value vs performance:
20mm sedan rear swaybar
Whiteline front and rear steel endlinks (non-HD)
Whiteline steering rack bushings
Prodrive springs
Kyb-Gr2 struts
RS 16x7 wheels
Dunlop SP5000 tires

Like Cody said, its a compromise. My car is a daily driver that sees snow, twisties, freeway on/off ramps and the occasional off-road field romp I want it to be well rounded and thats what I got. The only thing I would change would be the struts. I heard that the Konis with prodrive springs are amazing, they supposedly work VERY well together...but they are very expensive. All in all, Im very happy with my setup, its more on track, less body roll, still comfortable and a bit lower/aggresive looking.

WHats your budget?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

subie ocd brings up a good point. What are your intentions/budget. Most of what has been discussed thus far is pretty basic suspension build up. Depending upon what your goals are, at a minimum I would do a wagon specific spring, and a sedan 20mm RSB, and change the rubber. This will make all of the difference in the world. You really won't need new endlinks with a 20mm bar. It is OEM. Hell, I still use OEM endlinks on my 22mm FSB with no problems.

Edit: Side note: You asked if the ride would be good enough... Once you start down this road it is never good enough. It can always be better. Congratulations!!!! You've been bitten by the mod bug!!! Do you even have the car yet?

Last edited by ipozestu; 06-06-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM

If you want fast transitions for somthing like AutoX, I think the solid endlinks help. They should also intensify the bars effect on understeer. So getting the bar first and seeing how you like it isn't a bad idea. Might save you ~$100 if your car feels balanced at that point.

Also I know I've touched on it a couple times but the camber ratio front to back really effects under/oversteer a lot. This is why the STi comes with POSITIVE camber in the front and negative in the rear. It makes the car plow which is safer. Almost all stock alignments have more camber in the rear since this keeps the rear from getting loose in an emergency situation.

After you install springs or struts, you'll need to get an alignment. Might as well make it a good one. -1.5 all around should let you fit 225 width tires without an issue, but you may want to only do -1 in the rear to keep it balanced. Just depends on your setup.

I personally think you should just do springs and struts together. It will be better for performance, you'll save on labor, and you'll have some stockers you can sell on Ebay or whatever. I see people posting up they need one stock strut all the time. That's how I got rid of mine.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

Hm... budget I cant really say... I'd say LOW! haha... No, truth is, It will be a build up... Won't be all of a sudden, buying 9 different parts... But I don't mind spending more for the better performer/more reliable option...

My goals are just to keep the car flat on corners... on ramps, right turns, left turns... straight up just street driving... Id like to feel confident in corners and not worry about body roll... I MAY track the car... like once or twice, to just have the experience, but it will be my daily driver/commuter... and NO I dont have the car yet.. proving how much worse the bug has bitten me...

I have all my powermods planned and out the way, but I figure I wont do them for the first few months to give the engine a good break in, and let the motor set properly... then comes the silencer delete, AP, Dp, Exhaust, and some hoses, etc...

I have an 03 mustang GT, its blown, and to be honest, the only suspension mod I did are springs... The shocks have held up... Cornering is fun, bit has its limits obviously... I know the WRX even stock has a big advantage in that already, But I want it to be better, ive driven rexs before and I feel its too much body roll, and just a floaty feel when cornering at high speeds, my intention is for this bad girl to squat in corners and let me punch her from behind (god that sounds awful)

haha, so yeah, hope that answers all questions... thanks for breaking it down as much as you guys already have... truthfully this just spawned off my debate between getting a wagon or sedan... now were getting all nitty gritty on suspension, haha I like it!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 PM

Cool, Ive always really liked Mustangs -- the v8, exhaust note and RWD are great. Very fun cars.

But imo the wrx is so much better. Whether you get sedan or wagon, once you mod it with good power and susp. stuff..you're gonna love it

BTW, if I had money to blow for suspension I would get whiteline g4 coilovers. I rode in a wrx on a very rough road that had 18's as well as the g4's and it felt like it was on rails and rode BETTER than stock.

Good luck with your decisions.

Last edited by subie OCD; 06-06-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:48 AM
VIP Member

my intention is for this bad girl to squat in corners and let me punch her from behind (god that sounds awful)
!
That's called a donkey punch!!!
Stick with the springs and sways. Get some new tires. RE-92's are t3h suxor!!
I say consider youself fortunate you got this much out of anyone on this board. Most of the time you get a Welcome STFU NOOOB.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

haha ipozestu... the truth is, ive been a member for like 2-3 years... cant remember, ive done my share of searching/reading/researching... its never ending... my whole topic started just as debate between getting a wagon over a sedan.. and it led to this which Wingless kindly split off into suspension...

I don't think it should be a shock to receive this much help, if you search and see what ive been doing for members since Ive joined, I've been graciously handing out information through personal/friend experience and TONS of research... I sit here and type out essays to help members in the most unbiased way possible.. This is probably a habit I accrued due to the great help i received early on in my Noob days... Anyway... The mods evidently recognized the quality of my posts and upgraded my status which was a very humbling thing for me... Which is why im here and not on The Other subaru forum... I do see a new trend of *******s emerging though... So I-club isnt EVERYTHING it used to be, but I cant complain...

And don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the information and assistance. But afterall, thats what this place is for... Shouldnt be something one must struggle to receive...

Thanks Again Fellas!

Last edited by Boost Addict; 06-07-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 PM

..I've been graciously handing out information through personal/friend experience and TONS of research... I sit here and type out essays to help members in the most unbiased way possible..
good karma

Quick Reply: wagon suspension recommendations? (was: Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners!)