Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

wagon suspension recommendations? (was: Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
This info is fantastic... How does one go about widening the front track? Does it really need it?

How would you guys go about the suspension? With loads of research (I'm talking like at least a years worth on and off, haha) I had pretty much narrowed it down to Perrin Tunersport Springs, accompanied by Perrin front and rear sways...

This car will probably not be auto-xed... But I will give her some corners to travel at, and my ultimate goal is to have her remain flat... I dont need to mess with camber, etc.. and with that said, I'm likely to keep the stock 17s for a good while, They are attractive enough in my eyes, though not wide enough/ yet perhaps wide enough for the wagon... I'm not sure on this... as most of my research was based on sedans in the past...

Thanks for the plethora of information guys, this is really helping!

Also, I'm not interested in the Forester XT... and in response to those mentioning mods... aside from the suspension I mentioned early, I'm most likely going to drive her stock for the first 6 months with just a silencer removal and an AP Stage 1... A bit down the line, I have a Helix catted DP and Borla Hush in mind to reflash into a Stage 2... And thats the extent of power I'll ever need from this car... So with that in mind...

Last edited by Boost Addict; 06-05-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Suspension?

KYB AGX + Springs of your choice. I have the wagon specific Eibach Pro Kit. They're pretty soft and the drop is very minimal so somthing like Prodrive's would be better if you want it to stay flatter. But I think coilovers are the only thing that will really keep it super flat. Overkill in my book though.

Adjustable sways with solid enlinks are a great idea.

Also, I got the Whiteline quick release rear strut bar which is cool in that it only takes 3 minutes to install and uninstall, but later I was made to understand that it doesn't have the chassis stiffening benefit of a solid bar. The quick releases act like hinges unfortunately. It still seems to help a little. Theoretically it helps the wheels maintain camber by spreading latteral load across two stut towers instead of one.

As always, good tires that are aprorpriate for your environment make the biggest difference in handeling.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
SO you expect with say... KYBs/PerrinTunerSpts/Perrin Sways/and PErrin endlinks (got to mention but had planned as well, due to the damage one could do to the stock ones..) the ride will be pretty damned flat huh? Of course coupled with some decent tires...

The Whiteline product sounds pretty interesting... but yeah the rigidity is something i would def. factor in...

Coilovers arent something I like too much personally either... Would prefer to stay away from that... I just had a huge concern over the weight of the car... the rear glass, etc... Am I losing performance with that rear end? Will the handling be sacraficed?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I just put on the Koni inserts and these things are the bomb. I am also running Sti pink wagon springs and group-n top hats. 22mm fsb, and 24-26mm RSB. This set-up is better than anything I could imagine. Steve who runs coilovers rode with me for a while on memorial day, he said it performed every bit as good his coilovers with 20x the comfort.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
SO you expect with say... KYBs/PerrinTunerSpts/Perrin Sways/and PErrin endlinks (got to mention but had planned as well, due to the damage one could do to the stock ones..) the ride will be pretty damned flat huh? Of course coupled with some decent tires...

The Whiteline product sounds pretty interesting... but yeah the rigidity is something i would def. factor in...

Coilovers arent something I like too much personally either... Would prefer to stay away from that... I just had a huge concern over the weight of the car... the rear glass, etc... Am I losing performance with that rear end? Will the handling be sacraficed?
The handeling will be more neutral with the extra 80 pounds in the ***. 80 pounds isn't that much really. Get a lightweight battery and you just shed 20+ pounds from in front of the wheels (where you really want to shed weight).

Ed (EQ Tuning) always says his wagon handles better than his sedan did.

I think stiffer springs are really the way to go to keep it flat. I am not familiar with the Perrins, but I'd start looking at springrates. Also I wouldn't drop more than an 1.5" in the front and 1" in the back. Bad things happen to the suspension geometry and you lose the ability to offroad/drive in snow.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
The AGX's are not wagon specific. You have to mix match front and rears from the gc8 or something, Im not 100% sure what combo works, but it can be done.

I have the kyb-gr2 (wagon specific) and prodrives on my 02 wagon
You sure about that? I realize this is only relevent to MY 02-04 WRX's but:

Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

They are not wagon specific. GC8 fronts, Sedan rears with washers. The only wagon after market strut you are going to find is OEM or Koni inserts.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 PM

If you say so, but I've been running the ones in the image I posted above for 2 years with no issue. They were installed by a shop, so I can't say if they used washers or not.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
VIP Member

Many run them with no issues. We don't have a lot of options with the wagon so wwe do what we can to get by. Tokico Also offers set setup similar to the AGX's. What it boils down to is the mounting tangs. The sedan has a wider track and when try to fit this on a wagon it does not allow for the best camber adjustment in the front. Seeing how you wouldn't really be able to or have reason to adjust rear camber running sedan rears in not a problem. IMO the Koni's is the best option for us. It maintains the stock mounting for the wagon. They are rebuildable, tons of Koni service centers around. They can customize valving, if you decide to run larger brakes or stiffer springs, this could come in very handy. The down side is they are expensive. In addition require more time to install because you have to cut the tops off the stock strut and mount them in the tube.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:40 PM

I'm using camber bolts (OEM in the top, aftermarket in the bottom holes) to get -1.8 in the front and aftermarket camber bolts in the top location in the rear to get -1.8. I pounded the crap out of my car this weekend on Rich's Dirt Drive and it took it like a champ.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by ipozestu
The only wagon after market strut you are going to find is OEM or Koni inserts.
The gr2's are wagon specific...according to nasioc
Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Exclamation

Yes they are. I am using them in my wagon with wagon specific springs from SWIFT ~ just a great pairing and honestly surprised me on they were such a great marriage. What ever springs you get for the wagon make SURE they are wagon specific, or your wagon's butt will droop more then my mother's! Sorry Mom.

The wagon specific spring application is also a good solution for sedans with a ton of stereo equipment in the trunk ~ "look no sagging!"

The drop on my wagon is sweet without being slammed ~ check my images in my VB Garage if you want to see it!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

I'm not familiar with the GR2's. Link?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Cody8675309
I'm using camber bolts (OEM in the top, aftermarket in the bottom holes) to get -1.8 in the front and aftermarket camber bolts in the top location in the rear to get -1.8. I pounded the crap out of my car this weekend on Rich's Dirt Drive and it took it like a champ.
What are you using for top hats in the rear?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I'm not familiar with the GR2's. Link?
02/03-$319
https://cvrmotorsports.com/view_prod...oduct=GR2GDAWA

Approx. 15% stiffer than stock, non adjustable. Basically stock replacements and they work great with prodrives.

Quick Reply: wagon suspension recommendations? (was: Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners!)