Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

torque specifications for strut tower bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 08:11 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
torque specifications for strut tower bolts?

Does anyone know where I can dig up the proper amount of torque to apply to the bolts on the top of the front strut towers? I'm doing a grounding mod, and would love to test my new torque wrench.

Actually, I'd like to realistically find the torque ratings on several engine locations as well...any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2003, 11:41 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
14.5 ft/lbs. according to the factory service manual. be careful though, most torque wrenches aren't that accurate at light settings, and those are easy studs to break.

if you're looking to test your torque wrench, start on bigger, stronger bolts with higher torque ratings such as lug nuts (~70 ft/lbs) and such. you can then work your way down to smaller ones.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:05 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Yeah, go easy on those...breaking one is not a good thing, and check them again after a couple tanks of gas to be sure they are still tight.
The front strut tower studs are not the best places to run your grounding mod to either. Use a bolt which is actually bolts to the body, not through it. The strut top studs bolt through the sheetmetal(painted on both sides) and are bedded in rubber in the strut top, which makes them poor choices for using as grounding points.
Grind a bit of paint off one of the washer bottle mounts, or use the A/C line brace boltm at the firewall.

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 11-16-2003 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:02 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
SOunds good. Thanks for the heads up. The wrench is pretty light weight anyway, so I'm not too worried, but I'll watch it. Irreguardless of the grounding, I'm doing suspension next weekend anyway, so they're coming off one way or another for a strut tower bar. =)
Old 11-16-2003, 12:30 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
part of the problem with most torque wrenches is the ammout of leverage that they allow you to apply. my 1/2" drive wrench is 24" long, but still has settings down to under 20 ft/lbs. because of the leverage it provides, you're only pulling on the wrench with less than 10lbs of force to get the desired torque spec. it's hard to feel them click at those settings, and pulling that lightly.