Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Tein Flex w/EDFC or Cusco zero 2R

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 01:47 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRX STI (blue)
Talking Tein Flex w/EDFC or Cusco zero 2R

Hi everyone,
I need help on setting my mind between the tein flew with EDFC or the Cusco Zero 2R suspension. I know cusco is very well known for producing excellent products for WRX, but its pricey. On the other hand Tein Flew w/EDFC is a pretty good suspension too and cheap and is very convinent with the EDFC. so which one should i get? which one is better for my '04 STI? If you were to consider the price,quality,performance, and confront of both suspension, which one would you pick? Or is there another suspension you think that is better? Thank you for your opinion in advance... all suggestion is welcome...
Old 11-27-2003, 08:45 AM

World's best? Maybe just among the rice world. People go into Moton and custom stuff when serious.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:30 AM
GDA

Car Info: GDA
If I was an STI owner with the original 2 options, I would suggest the Cusco Zero-2R over the tein flex.

I would say the zero-2r is a better quality coilover than the tein (that specific model-FLEX).

oh by the way I went with TEIN RA's on my WRX.

I tried the following:

zeal b6 function
cusco zero-1
tein ra

rode in cars with:

jic magic flt-a2's
tein ha's

good luck,

GDA
Old 12-06-2003, 11:43 AM

One thing that could be an advantage for Tein though is having US support. They can probably offer repair or revalving a lot easier than Cusco. Another is being able to purchase different spring rates, something I haven't seen done with Cusco. Default JDM springs rates tend to be too stiff for our streets.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:52 AM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
i have TEIN SS on my prelude(yes i know it cant compare ) and i absolutely love them

i can only imagine how the flex w/edfc would be on an STi
Old 12-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Zero-2's are much more street friendly. Their sophisticated twin tube design insures the most smooth riding with agressive valving and spring rates. Perfect for the weekend warrior.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:18 AM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
the flex are coilovers...you can set them to have the car scraping your chasis or have it in 4x4 mode...your call
Old 12-18-2003, 01:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
i'd opt for zero2Rs. It is inverted design where as the Flex are not if money is an issue, go for the Flex.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
After talking with a friend about his Zero2R's, I'd go with those. (other friends drive Tein Flex with EDFC). My buddy (wagon owner) had run stock suspension, then STi suspension, and the Cusco Zero2R's. He said that with the Cusco's the day-to-day driving was more comfortable than the STi's. He set the tubes just a little below stock ride height and a softer setting. Then, in 30 minutes at the track, he changed his suspension settings for Auto-X and won ESP. It was a matter of dropping the height and turning the dampening higher. I helped him out with the changes and it was EASY. Even for me, and I'm no wrench-guy.

If you like a nice ride, and still do some aggressive driving (track days, auto-x, or just tearing it up at your legally sanctioned driving event) then go for it. To quote Imprezer, "Great for the weekend warrior."
Old 12-18-2003, 09:21 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally posted by Imprezer
Zero-2's are much more street friendly. Their sophisticated twin tube design insures the most smooth riding with agressive valving and spring rates. Perfect for the weekend warrior.
from what i have seen i will disagree with you. after riding and/or driveing tommy's and aaron's cars the cuscos seem to be so much more track friendly than street friendly, they are sooo stiff on the street. and especially on not so great mountain roads they are too stiff. the tein flex w/edfc are more for street driving, you can get a much more smooth ride on the street and they do pretty well on the track to.

so i would base the decision off of what kind of driving you do. if you go to the track often then the cuscos are probably for you, but mostly street with occasional track and what not, the teins should work great.

i have been in two cars with the cuscos (international b and porkchop) and driven two cars with the teins w/edfc (4xrex and babysmurf) and i favor the teins for street driving. i remember following international b a few weeks back on tenitas creek road and i was driving babysmurfs car and i was keeping up with him and he was saying that he couldn't really go much faster on there cause of his suspension when i didn't feel like i was near the limit yet in vanessas car. oh and they both had the same tires

there is my rambling review on the two, hope it made sense and that i didn't repeat myself too many times
Old 12-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Both Tommy and Aaron have Zero-2R's. I said Zero-2's.

I do not know how Aaron's or Tommy's suspensions are setup. They need to be tuned for the style of driving they are doing. I already explained that to Aaron many many times. There is more to it then just spinning the settings ****.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:26 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
ahhhh, i stand corrected, i thought you were talkign about the 2rs. my bad, well my review still stands cause the original topic asked about the zero 2r's

i have been in car with the 2's so i can't really commment on those
Old 12-18-2003, 11:05 AM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
yeah true...aaron's car is pretty stiff ride since he is running cusco coils - not necessarily a good choice especially when you have to commute to work (not too good on the back)...but yeah i heard teins = a smooth ride, but I have never ridden in a rex with tein setups, much less one with the edfc....i too am stuck on whether i should go tein flex's or cusco zero 2s

- Daniel

Quick Reply: Tein Flex w/EDFC or Cusco zero 2R