Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Tein FLEX vs Cusco Zero-2

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM Impreza WRX
Tein FLEX vs Cusco Zero-2

I've got an '04 WRX and I'm a bit torn between the two set ups. From my bit of research, the FLEX has a bit of higher spring rate than the Cusco. The FLEX is cool because I can get the optional EDFC controller and adjust things, whereas the Cusco, I'd have to do everything by hand.

These are probably my two choices as far as coilovers - summer is nearing. The car is going to be a daily driver/weekend warrior. For weekend, it'll most likely be spirited driving and maybe a few times at the track.

If anybody can give me other info between the two or just general info about them, I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
I had the Flex(5/5) with EDFC on my STI for 2 weeks then swapped back to stock struts with Tein H&R springs.

I found that out of all 16 levels only the last two were nearly damp enough for the spring rates, I found myself driving around on full firm just to get decent ride quality. Most people dont understand that too soft damping actually makes for a much more harsh ride. I can only imagine theres people out there with their teins set full soft crashing over every bump thinking that its actually a softer ride than turning the struts up higher.

set at 16 though, the Teins did feel great, but this is where they should have began the damping and gone up from there. Theres just no situation EVER, street or track, where its ideal to run a strut too soft for the spring rate
Old 04-04-2004, 11:55 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Originally posted by Krinkov
I had the Flex(5/5) with EDFC on my STI for 2 weeks then swapped back to stock struts with Tein H&R springs.

I found that out of all 16 levels only the last two were nearly damp enough for the spring rates, I found myself driving around on full firm just to get decent ride quality. Most people dont understand that too soft damping actually makes for a much more harsh ride. I can only imagine theres people out there with their teins set full soft crashing over every bump thinking that its actually a softer ride than turning the struts up higher.

set at 16 though, the Teins did feel great, but this is where they should have began the damping and gone up from there. Theres just no situation EVER, street or track, where its ideal to run a strut too soft for the spring rate
why didn't your just buy new springs? Tein sells replacement in nearly every spring rate. 5/5 is extremelly soft even for street use. The replacement springs are pretty cheap also.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
if the struts were barely firm enough for the 5/5 springs at full stiff, going with heavier springs would make it MUCH worse. What they need are firmer struts. Like Koni sport adjustables, at full setting they are almost solid.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM Impreza WRX
adam,

since you've had both, can you compare the ride differenct between the two. as if they were both set up for street and then track, etc?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:07 PM

The Flex have had a redesigned rear upper mount for a while now - they are not noisy at all.

As for which is better, it really depends on your intended usage for the car.

To me, Cusco gets the nod based solely on the fact that its a mono tube strut vs the Flex's twin tube design.

Adam
Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
CUSCO Zero-2R are monotube (inverted).
CUSCO Zero-2 are twin-tube.

Twin-tube design is far more advanced than the mono-tube. However, you cannot "flip" the twin-tube, by design. The ride of Zero-2's is much nicer than Zero-2R's. And, most people don't need 2R's are their car does not see any sort of abuse.

For 80% of the people, Zero-2's are perfect.

In its standard form, both 2's and 2R's come with 6kg/mm rear springs and 8kg/mm front springs. That is a tad soft. I recommend getting 8/10 spring setup.

On my car, I am running 2R's with 12kg/mm front and 10kg/mm rear.

TEIN's adjusting "needle" valve is inferior to the CUSCO's "rotating piston" desing. Although TEIN's "have" 16 settings, in reality there are only 4 as the needle moves so little, that there is no difference bettween setting 3 and 4 and only every 4 settings make a difference. Also, since the needle cannot infenetely spin, if you over spin it, you will damage your shock. In most cases, you will not know that, as the valve will just get stuck in one position.

All in all, CUSCO's coilovers are far superior to TEIN's. Of course, TEIN has some coilovers that are very nice, but cost a lot more than CUSCO's. So, in this post, I was mostly talking about FLEX's.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
imprezer...question.

I am looking at options on my 04 wagon. Now on a wagon should I leave the spring rates as they are...say 8/10. Or do 10/10.

I don't think the extra....what 70 pounds makes that much of a difference but there is a chance I'll have a sub back there and 2 amps so call it an extra 125 pounds.....

Daily driver. Will see occassional track days and tons....TONS of spirited driving miles.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
For a wagon with your setup, I would recommend 9kg/mm fronts and 7kg/mm rears. Or, you can bump to 10/8. If 90% of your driving is street-type, then no need for 10/8's as thats pretty stiff for a daily driven car. Some people like it, some people don't. But, I do feel that the spring rates are a tad soft for the shock valving even at the lowest setting.

You can get one spring setup and later on swap diff springs in. Additional springs are inexpesive and will let you try out things and find an optimal setting for your own taste.

I currently have few setups. I got 12/10, 10/8, 9/8 and I even have some 14kg/mm springs for the front. It is all about suspension tuning which is nearly forgotten among the enthusiasts. It is fun and easy to do. You learn a lot about your car by doing that.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
hey imprezer,

what does the different spring rates mean? softer harder? does softer mean nicer ride? sorry for the nub question.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 02 REX Wagon
Originally posted by Krinkov

Hmm sounds like someone didnt read the directions.
16 is full soft on the FLEX suspension.

Quick Reply: Tein FLEX vs Cusco Zero-2