Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

tein flex or cusco zero2r?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Are they "any" good?

Yes, they are VERY good.

For ride quality, I would consider Zero-2's not the R's. The R 's are for those who don't care about the ride quality. Not that it will be bad, but just Zero-2's will give you a much nicer ride quality to its design.

---

Many people jump on 2R's simply becuase they are "more expensive" and "higher on the product line ladder". Yes they are, but very few people actually know the differences.

Of course, the 2R's main difference from the 2's is the fact that they are inverted. To think that inverted is better is not correct. There are more differences than that.

The 2's are regular twin-tube shock absorbers.
The 2R's are inverted mono-tube shock absorbers.

Twin tube shock absorbers provide much better ride quality with the same valving specs as the mono-tube. But, mono-tube can take a lot more abuse than the twin-tube. And, inverted shock absorbers reduce unsprung weight, put no stress on the shaft and have few other benefits. However, you cannot "flip" the twin-tube shock absorber. Thats by its design. Thats why, if you take a non-inverted twin-tube shock absorber, flip it upside down and then press on it, it won't come back out. Try it. It is pretty interesting. That has to do with its design, which I am not going into right now, unless you ask me to.

If you guys find this interesting, I will gladly go into more details.

---

If you want high performance coilovers that will have awesome ride quality, go with Zero-2's.

If you want ultra high performance coilovers that have good ride quality and will "abuse" your car on the track, go with Zero-2R's.

That's just my .02 cents on this matter.

I would definetely prefer either 2 or 2R's over TEINS.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:49 AM

Imprezer, what would you recommend if i wanted to be able to take the car to the track once or twice a month? zero 1s? or 2s? And why would you prefer cusco over teins? Price wise wouldnt the Tein flex be "better" then cusco zero 1s?
Old 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Originally posted by Imprezer

If you guys find this interesting, I will gladly go into more details.
If you wouldn't mind go into more detail please
Old 01-03-2004, 04:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I 2nd the request for you to go into detail.

Motion carried...

Bring on the technical specs
Old 01-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Ok, I will get all technical. Let me get to work first.

I would choose Zero-2's over Zero-1's. Zero-2's have 5 way adjustable shock, while the Zero-1's are "preset" on setting #3. I like being able to set the shock, based on the road condition and tires I am using.

Why do I choose CUSCO over TEIN? Same reason I would choose Subaru over Kia. Sony vs. Radio Shack. The quality is just not the same. Also, over very important factor. The way TEINS shock adjustment works vs. CUSCO. TEIN uses a "needle valve". That is why TEINs are like 134 way adjustable, but the truth is, there is on different between setting #112 and setting #70. Also, you can easialy "oversping" the adjustment valve and ruin the shock.

TEIN does make good coilovers but those are a lot more expensive than the FLEX's.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:14 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB
I have tein flex's too

..clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk

I want new coilovers that don't clunk
Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
hm.. i have the flex's and for wut i use 'em for, i find them much better than just springs...
ride's decent on the road, and tracks quite well...
Old 01-07-2004, 06:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
my zero2r's came with everything. my only gripe is that adjustment is on the bottom (which makes for getting dirty while waiting for your next autox run along with using a mirror). to get around this, i just take off my rear view mirror and use it to look under. the clicks are well defined, but use a mirror just to make sure.

soft setting is soft enough to keep the GF from complaining. actually, i wouldn't mind the springrates going up just a touch, it just seems that way. that was with aftermarket sways too back on my wagon. the weight may have made it feel soft. i will try them on my sti, but don't want to leave stock just yet.

note: it will keep clicking past the highest and lowest setting, so don't expect to hit an end to know what setting you are at.

b
Old 01-08-2004, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
alignment adjusting mounts? if you mean camber plates yes.....for the front. the rear is just a non-adj pillowball mount.

b
Old 01-09-2004, 01:29 AM

i wish i had the $ for coilovers (the cusco 2's)
Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
Originally posted by Imprezer
Ok, I will get all technical. Let me get to work first.

I would choose Zero-2's over Zero-1's. Zero-2's have 5 way adjustable shock, while the Zero-1's are "preset" on setting #3. I like being able to set the shock, based on the road condition and tires I am using.

Why do I choose CUSCO over TEIN? Same reason I would choose Subaru over Kia. Sony vs. Radio Shack. The quality is just not the same. Also, over very important factor. The way TEINS shock adjustment works vs. CUSCO. TEIN uses a "needle valve". That is why TEINs are like 134 way adjustable, but the truth is, there is on different between setting #112 and setting #70. Also, you can easialy "oversping" the adjustment valve and ruin the shock.

TEIN does make good coilovers but those are a lot more expensive than the FLEX's.
thanks for clearing that up alex....i've ridden in Aaron's car with the zero2rs so i know how they feel, prolly have to take a ride in Vanessa's to see what the tein's are like, but the point you made about quality is very interesting as well as the "overspring" of the adjustment valve...i may go cusco's we will c

- Daniel

Quick Reply: tein flex or cusco zero2r?